What were the Bad Reasons About the G1 Series

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Soundwavedredd2, Jun 11, 2012.

1. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Used to make me laugh, but now it's tiresome, actually kind of sad. There are so many good things that came after 1985 in the Transformers franchise, along with the bad. Even as much as I despise Bayformers for being an abomination I LOVE movie Sideswipe and I don't let it stop me from enjoying that aspect of it.

I am sure someone could write a psychological thesis on people who are stuck in the past and unable to move forward with their lives to the point of irrationality. Hell I am sure it's already been done. But that's not why we are here in this thread, we are here to discuss why some random person can't seem to understand things that come out of the past are not the same as they are today, also to the point of irrationality. A match made in internet heaven. :lol 

All that being said there actually is one thing that annoyed me about G1.. the Humans never spotted that giant ship sticking out of the side of a mountain? really?

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Wasn't it buried until the volcano erupted in 1984 and uncovered it? After that everyone knew where it was. By the end of MTMTE humans were delivering materials and fuel to it for the Autobots to repair the Ark to go home.

3. KnightHawkke

*runs off to find footage of that episode really fast*

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj...e01-more-than-meets-the-eye-part-1_shortfilms

Well, short of an HDish encode it is impossible to tell exactly from those scenes. Counting in Beast Wars it was exposed the whole time, as (I can't remember exactly as it has been ages) but I don't think the Maximals buried the entrance again when they were done mucking around in there.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  4. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I know some of you envision me as this enormous troll with coke bottle thick nostalgia goggles. But that is not entirely true. Hasbro made me like this... With it's constant spawning of knock off series that belch in the face of G1. This fandom does not need to be high on bath salts in order to cannibalize each other.

Hasbro does not respect the big blocky nuts of G1 that they have built their foundation on. I remember the day when G1 first revealed them to me. I was but a small boy. G1 said "You wanna see my nuts?" I said "now what makes you think I wanna see that mistah Geewun"? He said "well, because they're Nebulans... and you know what that means"! I said "kewl"! And they both transformed. I said "wait, you're not Targetmasters... Are you guys HEADmasters? They replied "only when we're at the YMCA!" And we all shared a naughty, naughty laugh.

5. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    This is true. It's part of TF history, good or bad, and should not be forgotten. Maybe a future G1 Blu-Ray collection will also have the G2 episodes. People really like extras on their Blu-Rays these days, so it's not completely outside the realm of possibility.

6. KnightHawkke

Stopped seriously reading there, same irrational rhetoric as always. followed by some other stuff... :peoples: 

Fact is franchises must evolve or die. Then, now, and forever. If you want to deprive future generations of new Transformers media because of some concocted sacred aura you put on a cartoon series from 1984 that is entirely your issue.

Along with the evolution there does need to be a continued respect to the spirit of the original product and (for now) Hasbro has done a passable job of this in most cases. I really wish they would diversify the character lists in some of these new shows, but that is what it is.

Also bring us a good Trealbreaker classics ya bums!!!!

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm not getting a troll vibe from you, man.

You're a cool bro in my book.

8. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    SouthtownKid is correct in that they were not intended to be the same (on the television side of fiction), 1984forever might be confusing this fact with the story of the OptiBat and MegaGator bio story. Either way, back then ATT was where all the Transformers fans were on the net...

Why all the unnecessary hate?

9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    1984forever, if in the end these "knockoffs" still have Hasbro toys and they aren't infringing any copyrights, then how can they even be knockoffs if everything RID and beyond and just a reboot?

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

The fact G1 was not continued pokes a nice big Jupiter sized hole in your claims. So does the fact it's obvious the Bay movies have made the franchise more popular than it ever was back in the 1980's.

You can complain all you like about how Hasbro shits on G1 with successful "knock-off" renewals of the franchise, but try to at least remember that Hasbro is a company looking for a profit, and right now the movies have proven to be more of a moneymaker than your beloved, rose-colored nostalgic impressions of G1.

You also never answered me about why you have claimed to have watched all of Beast Wars despite also saying you hate the series simply because it's not crappy 1980's cartoon quality.

11. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

Yeah ... except that it is 100% clear they are not the same characters in the very first episode. Nice try though.

Wrong. Hasbro did nothing. You made yourself. Take some damn responsibility.

I've said this several times before, but I'll do it again. I grew up with G1. I got my first toy in '84. Watched the cartoon. Saw the movie. Read the comics. I still like G1 the best. But it is not the apex series. It is not perfect. And the cartoon is really bad in hindsight. I have watched Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Animated, and Prime, and they are all far superior cartoons. Now, I still like the G1 cartoon. But there is a difference between liking something and thinking it's good. And the G1 comics have always been better than the show. Even the damn Carwash of Doom was better. Well, Pat Lee's stuff was worse ...

12. KnightHawkke

You know at some point I would really love to see some concrete numbers on this claim, because from what I remember transformers has pretty well been a household name in general since G1, sure with dips and spikes, but it's not like it suddenly popped into existence with Bayformers.

As much as I dislike 84's irrational hatred of everything post G1 which, let's face it, is just a total lack of objectivity described as "rose colored glasses," a cute euphemism indeed, but it really hides the truth, there is nothing "rose" about it. The real question I guess boils down to the exact context of these glasses. There are precious few people in this fandom who look at rose colored anything. People don't look fondly back at what they liked while still accepting the beauty of everything else around them. That is what I consider "Rose colored"

People who lack objectivity and can not see past the ends of their own noses might just as well be looking though Blood colored glasses and God help anyone who interjects things beyond their limited view of the world. There is many people on all sides of this fandom, whom it's about time they started considering removing their own "blood red colored hate glasses" and use a little objectivity themselves.:2c: 

Edit: Hopefully that makes things a little clearer :) 

Probably for the same reason I watched the Bayformers at least once each. The Transformers name. The same reason there is so many people who still play Star Trek Online (including me) even though it is a massive train wreck, the name. Names hold power people either don't realize or don't care to fight.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

Uh, no. Maybe you weren't around back then, but no.

The movies are huge now. But the franchise as a whole is nowhere near as huge as it was back then.

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    :rolleyes: 

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Hasbro can't make a knockoff of things they created. However they can buy knockoff competions (Go-Bots) and assimilate them in to the universe.

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Well said.

To be fair, there's a difference between watching three two hour movies across the span of several years, and sitting down and watching an entire cartoon series. If 1984 hates Beast Wars like everything else because it's not the campy 80's show he's familiar with, then why bother watching more than a few episodes if he knows he's not going to like it to the point of declaring it's not worthy of being called a Transformers franchise?

You guys are probably right, I've only been around since the Armada days, and it just seems the movies have had much more of an impact than Armada did.

17. CookSux

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Though I've been on TF boards since ATT days, the movies definitely put Transformers back on the map. Even TFW got a huge influx of new members. I myself took a large break during AEC and came back in time for Classics/TF07.

18. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

Go-Bots came out a year before Transformers ...

19. KnightHawkke

As I said, names hold power. Also could be watching said series to gather points to complain about later.

True, I have no delusions it spiked the popularity but the real question here is..

If you took sayyyy 10% of the population of every country in the world and found out if they knew what Transformers was before 2007. Now that is the data I want to know.

20. CookSux

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sure it's the same as how TMNT is a household name. It's well known, just like a lot of the bigger franchises from the 80s. TMNT doesn't have a huge fan community like TF since it hasn't had a great movie to bring them back. Who knows, maybe the new one will bring that influx back?