What we really need is Classics Combiners

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not trying to bring up pcc but they are kinda not selling to well. Maybe they were a test for hasbro to see if combiners were worth making. So far not really and yes I know pcc aren't true combiners. But in retrospect they are good enough and cheap enough for me. In this economy 75$ combiners are a risky product to put out on the market. Maybe when the econ gets better and people aren't afraid to spend money. For me id buy them but the avg parent isn't going to drop that on atoy for there kid that may "break".

2. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

this is how i see PCC's as well. like tak/bro are slowly testing the waters again. those things are fugly. don't want them. retailing for 25$ they probably didn't invest much on this either but since they didn't and its fugly, no buy from me.

3. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I'd be fine with legends class g1 combiners as long as it has decent articulation

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    the scouts and the minicons themselves aren't bad.

5. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

I really think this is an issue of Hasbro cosidering this a failure before it starts.....

When you look at the large, expensive figures that they have had in the last decade, they typically haven't sold all that well and end up warming shelves for some time until the price decreases and the retail locations lose out on profit margin. If your retailers are losing money, they are less likely to buy product like that again. My guess is that Hasbro has made decisions involving gestalts based on feedback from the retailers, not the fans.

Obviously, Hasbro knows the characters are popular and that we want them....so I think they try to do the best they can at giving us what we want while satisfying retailers by providing product that hits the pricepoints they know they can move to the masses. If you look at it from that perspective, we've received a TON of combiners in the last year or so - including a superion and a bruticus. Now, granted, their size wasn't great and they totally suck in terms of look when you put them together. Thankfully Fansproject has been there to make up for that. That notwithstanding, we DID get a revisit of those characters from the original line, regardless how bad they were. Same could be said for Devastator early on in the Classics line.

As much as I would KILL to see 4 Deluxe and a Voyager become Menasor, I don't think we will see it outside of a customizer.

....but hey, I have been wrong before....you never know what might happen after Bayformers 3 - especially if it holds true that they don't plan to make anymore. Hasbro will be looking to make money any way they can....and the fans are always good for dishing out wads of cash.

....Also, I've long said that Hasbro could go the route that Mattel has with their MOTUC and make a killing with the Transformers fan base. They really should consider that.

Dex

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I need to comment because I totally disagree with your 3rd and 4th comment and your rudeness about it all.

We are a cheap community??? Ummm last I checked the peoples at FP are getting rich off of us and TFC Devi is going to sell out faster that you can say "WOW a REAL combiner"

About your 3rd comment. PCC are the biggest piece of crap EVER. I would take any energon fingure over them. If you put any G1 combiners nect to the monstrosity that is PCC G1 will win every time. And no I am not a GEEWUNER I am just a guy that knows a decent looking toy when I see one, and PCC is not it.

So unlike you I will not tell you to shut up or point out what a fool you are in how you use your words. You are entitled to your opinion as am I. And my opinion is, PCC suck sweaty dog balls,.

7. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    I think Has/Tak won't attempt new combiners unless theres media support; right now there is no combiners in TF3, and only fan speculation on TFPrime. PCC's are good for what they are, but they are no substitute for combiners.

Also Hasbro has a habit of repainting every figure, so what ever combiners that are considered, I think repaints will have to be discussed; also I think it would need to be considered the possibility of repaints within the Gestalt team, similar to Energon.

It should be pointed out that the majority of the market is kids, kids don't have a lot of money, so it's usually the parents who buy toys. The only part of the market that has money are adult collectors, that part of the market is small.

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree heartily with this.

9. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I would just liek to add on the note of combiners and Hasbro's (for lack of a better term) dislike in making them.

IF we did get TF:A season 4 we were going to get a Constructicon toy. They said the figures for Mix and Scrapper were not made because they were waiting to get them out all at the same time and hinted at combining. By the end of the series we saw a third Constructicon who's name I forget. Hasbro was going to give us a combiner and seeing as it was in Animated you know the toy would have rocked.

I don't think the lack of Hasbro combiners has anything to do with them not wanting to make them I just think, as mentioned, they are hesitant because there is no media supporting it.

I'm sure Prime will give us a few good combiners and Supreme sized bots.

10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    And, all credibility goes out the window right here with this statement.

11. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Seems to me that if Hasbro thinks that MechTech is a worthy pursuit that takes away from a figure just to give it some big-assed gun claw, then there is NO rational reason why they cannot produce individual figures that have combiner components.

12. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    Right now the only way I can think Has/Tak will do TFPrime combiners is if they make Optimus and his trailer combine and repaint Optimus into Nemesis and have a new car carrier trailer combine with him. Giving Hasbro a partial repaint and Fans two unique Supermodes. Now of course this thread isn't about Supemodes, so have Stunticons powerlinx allover Nemesis; it's not necessary to bring out the full potential, and you don't need to transform a bunch of toys.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I'm sure if Hasbro saw the possibility of making money from producing 5 or 6 separate toys with the inherent engineering for them to combine into one large figure, they would have done so a long time ago.

There are way too many factors that could make it all go wrong. The obvious one is distribution, seeing how the Energon combiners turned out. Hasbro doesn't control distribution, so it's not a guarantee that everyone who gets figure #1 is going to get figure #5 to finish the set.

Another is something Hasbro's made pretty apparent as of late, what retool, redeco, or general re-use of the mold can they get out of it? You have a car that turns into a robot and a left arm... what else can you sell it as?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see official Devastators and Menasors... but I can see how it doesn't really work from a business point of view.

14. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    This is a good argument for gift set only releases, as for the repaint/retool they wold probably adopt a Energon approach to the limbs.

15. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

TESTIFY!!! That my friend hits the nail on the head, how in the monkey hell did they not learn from classics, generations, movie 1 and 2 toys, Get rid of the stupid gimmicks and the toys look and function so much better! Mechtech may have been salvageable if most of the guns/weapons were not so terrible looking. There are a few I did like, Few. The Miniguns on Laserbeak I do dig much indeed, but that.... thing on leader BB looks like a freaking mutant monster.

the 3mm clip system is awesome and they should have ran with that, thankfully there is more in the scout HA figures I can snatch up for other figures =-D

IF they had left the gimmick out of the drones in PCC and had them transform into.. I don't arms with hands or legs with feet (like the copter and firetruck drones from Energon OP, even the sub and drill were not bad for gimmick limbs I will grant) and made them a little more fitting thematically, (protectobots with a tank really??) I would have snatched them up like hotcakes because like I said, I liked the commanders and the minicons, but why bother with the packs if the limbs look like boiling wads of fail.

Overly obtuse gimmicks get in the way of quality, they have since 1984 and I don't see signs of it ever changing. A properly done and though out 1 deluxe and 4 scout combiner that does not look like junk, has no electronics or any other fail gimmicks, (3mm clip points would be Fantastic) and were stable in construction and combination would sell (and yeah best to leave them in gift set as we all know about distribution problems). the Energon combiners (in my eyes) failed partially because the center bodies were not stable (PCC failed with this as well) the limbs in some cases were very awkward (superion maximus' legs anyone?)

It's not impossible if done correctly, I am not saying anyone is incapable if doing it right, just that so far it really hasn't happened well in a long time.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  16. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    With 52 episodes confirmed I see great potential for some big figures being made...all stories need to grow.

I can forsee combiners and Omega Supreme type bots making an appearance in tf : Prime.

17. Shadow Convoy

Shadow Convoy Stealth Ops Commander

Ebay:
    i'd be up for a classics combiner! heck if people are willing to pay 50 bucks a pop for ONE limb (fansproject bruticus limbs) and over a hundred bucks for bruticus himself, i'd say people would buy a GOOD looking combiner with individual figure playability at around 60 bucks.

18. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    If they do make combiners in TFPrime there should be a limit of one Combiner a season, and they don't all necessarily need to be G1 based.

Repaint Options?

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    If that's the case they will never be "stealth" in the human world. You don't need to be close to see a robot as large as Omega Supreme.

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    this fanbase is cheap as hell, why do you think masterpieces in america are failures, there is a reason skywarp bombed and now toys r us is getting the masterpieces it seems (which sucks cause thanks to that i don't have grimlock)

this is the fandom that bitched that BBTS sold the seacons for $10 over the SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE ON A BOTCON NAMEPLATE because they had to

american fans don't want to pay for the worth of the toys, masterpiece rodimus is worth his full $200 price for all the stuff he comes with, the engineering and development that went into him, and people want him, but will wait till damn clearance because they want a masterpiece figure for $10, and i can see that as a huge offense to the people who spent time to develope these figures

and if PCC are total crap, why do I and SEVERAL people like them huh? i first didn't get into PCC because of what i heard, then i got a deal on the first two waves of commanders. Those are some great figures, and majority the 5 packs are awesome