Customs: What ways can you reinforce Knock Offs?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by RodimusDawg, Aug 23, 2009.

1. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I plan on using some Knock Off figures for some upcoming customs and wanted to know if there is anyway to reinforce them. I know there are many variations on knock offs and problems with the integrity. But the ones I see the most is weak brittle plastic and hollow bodies.

I've seen people reinforce them with styrene but the would likely only work on the things like flat panels and doors. And the only other thought that comes to mind is there something you could possibly apply to the plastic that will harden over it and toughen it up a bit and apply it like a top coat?

And for hollow pieces I'm thinking along the same lines but more of a filler that hardens. But won't make it too heavy either. And obviously I wouldn't want to fill a spot that some part has to fold or go into.

Just seeing if anyone has any thoughts on the subject or tips from things they have tried.

2. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you could try epoxy putty like billy mays mighty putty or aves epoxy putty.

If you want to fill in a hollow cavity you could even try liquid resin to fill it in.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Epoxy works. I used milliput to fill in a master gundam's chest to support a new neck for my scourge.

4. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Ahhh liquid resin makes sense. I think too much in the box and lot liquid resin in with stuff like mold make and parts casting. And how quick does stuff like mighty putty and milliput set and harden?

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Milliput sets overnight, but you can just wait 4 hours or so. Of course, it won't be hard as a rock yet at that time, but i find it's good enough to support lightweight parts by then.