What Was Wrong W/ ROTF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ShOcKwAvE1213, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    There should be an advice animal pic for the OP.

Makes thread asking why people hate ROTF

*insert image here*

Shuns their opinions and claims they have no sense of humor

2. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    My BIGGEST dislike from ROTF is treating the constructicons like background characters.

I was completely fooled in believing Bay would use the constructicons like main characters from the CON team, give'm lines and move the plot forward..

THe second dislike is the lack of constructicons forming Devastator.
    And lastly, Devastators slow paste and threat.

If all this did happen, I could care less for the humor and would put this movie as the best TF film yet.

3. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    *Leo and the Twins hogging screen time from other characters, like Sideswipe and Arcee.
    *The crude, juvenile humor I'd expect from Scary Movie, or a Wayan's Brothers movie.
    *Simmons' ass and junk in a thong
    *The Fallen being a crap villain
    *Some weird and pointless things, like Professor Colan the sexual predator, Princeton being a pothead sex mansion, Leo's goons for his website, even the Autobots themselves besides Optimus, Bumblebee, Jetfire, the Twins, and Wheelie.
    *Two second, anticlimactic beat down of The Fallen.
    *Devastator being a waste of CGI and money. The Driller would later reprise the role of one-scene big ass Decepticon who is killed with one shot.
    *Michael Bay wasting Arcee because he disliked her.
    *Scalpel somehow being able to magically reformat Megatron from an Allspark fragment and ze little vun's parts floating around Megs.

Plenty more, but ROTF was not complete and utter crap. Just not a good film overall.

But why should anyone post, OP? You attack everyone who says ROTF isn't funny or anyone who disagrees with you. You're not exactly coming off as someone who people should bother to speak to.

4. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

OP:
    I think ROTF watches like a rough draft. It's got its strong points, but it doesn't show them off. The filmmakers should have sat down with that draft, read through it, figured out what movie they really had made, and then made that one.

A good director can do that, even with a poor script. Bay is a passable director for action sequences. The fights and transformations have a lot of impact and style. I can't say Sideswipe's attack doesn't look great. But Mr. Bay doesn't do a good job of tying all these sequences into a picture, and bringing out the story in the script.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It should be an ostrich with its head in the sand.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yes it's a rather odd notion that if you didn't find Revenge of the Fallen funny then you don't find anything funny. As if comedy was so universal that you could take any joke and put it into any movie with the same results.

I really love the Three Stooges but I don't think Star Wars would have been as good if Luke, Han and Chewy were running around acting like Larry, Curly, and Moe.

I've laughed until I've had tears in my eyes from the Jackass movies but I really don't want to go to a Spiderman movie and hear "I'm Spiderman and this is the ceiling crawl poop trick".

It would kind of kill the mood of a Batman movie if Batman ran around acting like Groucho Marx.

7. mrdecepticon

mrdecepticon Decepticon Leader

LOL I agree.

8. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    I honest to god don't mean any offense whatsoever, but you have the worst sense of humor on the planet.

9. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Pretty much everything except for Jetfire, Sideswipe, Soundwave, Ravage, Epps, Lennox and Simmons, and the returning 'Bots and 'Cons.

Basically, the new characters either got shafted for screentime (Arcee, Jolt, Sideways) or were god-awful (The Twins, Leo, Wheelie), most of the returning humans were way more annoying (Sam's mom, especially), Megan Fox's acting was even worse, there was barely any plot, the "humor" was obnoxious and felt more like one of Seltzer and Friedberg's wretched "parodies," the Autobots became a little too brutal, the humans ate up even MORE of the plot, the Fallena nd Devastator both went down way too easily, and every TF except for Bumblebee and the Three Idiots (Wheelie, Skids and Mudflap) were background characters, if that.

When the robot equivalents of Jar-Jar Binks show up more often than Optimus Freaking Prime, you know you're in for a shitty experience.

10. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I didn't like ROTF that much because it was a horrible movie.

Let's just talk about the first real scene in the film, the Shanghai scene. We are introduced to NEST, being led by...you know, those two guys from the first film. They were kind of important but not really. Anyway, they are on a covert mission to find robots. The mission is so covert that they have to make as much noise and sparks as humanly possible getting to their location. Then, using what we can only assume is a transformer locator(but we don't know because the film certainly isn't going to tell us) they uncover a giant robot and get dozens of themselves killed/injured.

Only after the brilliant strategy of sending the fragile humans as close as humanly possible to giant, evil robot, they decide to send in the robots. Oh, but only after the smaller one that is running for its life. And what do they send? Twin, mechanic Jar Jar Binks, and Arcee, a character that is promptly ignored for the rest of the film.

After they fail, the order goes out to send in Sideswipe. Yet, one wonders why they just didn't send in Sideswipe in the first place, as he kills the other robot in a matter of seconds. And, of course, short, one sided fights are exciting!

Attention is brought back to the giant robot, which has gone on a murder spree and is killing civilians left and right. But hey, don't worry, they can call in Optimus Prime, who wasn't already in the fight for some reason (best guess is he's up in the plane doing voice over work). He drops from the plane, parachuettes down using giant, Autobot branded parachuettes, which he quickly cuts off and lets them float away, leaving evidence of this top secret mission (remember, the Autobots are being covered up). Let's not even consider that the army undoubtedly has hundreds of unbranded parachuettes ready to go.

So he lands, disables the giant murder bot (only after it has undoubtedly murdered many, many more human lives by smashing through a bridge) and, when it is completely unable to move, shoots it in its face. The great and noble Optimus "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Prime, kills a disabled enemy in cold blood.

And that is just the first scene.

NOTE: Yes, a lot of the jokes in this come from RiffTrax, but they were 100% correct.

11. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You purposely make the Shanghai scene sound ******ed, but it’s probably one of the highlights of an otherwise very weak film. I just loved the way that, in that scene, it’s actually the Autobots who are doing all the work and the humans are just the back-up. If only we got more of that. That scene, the scene with Ravage and Reedman and the whole Autobot rescue leading up to and including the forest battle are definitely the best aspects of the film.

12. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'm explaining why the scene is stupid, so yes, I'm using harsh language to make my point.

And the Autobots only came in after the humans, who are giving them orders for some reason, get their own bumbling asses killed instead of JUST SENDING IN THE ROBOTS!

Hell, the scene would have been much better if it was just the Autobots, using their vehicle modes to hide in plain sight until they get an opportunity to strike! I mean, if nothing else, it kind of goes with the "Robots in disguise" theme the franchise has.

And I know everyone wants to talk about how great the forest battle is but...honestly, it showed me that Michael Bay doesn't actually understand action.

13. Starparu

Starparu Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Two names

Skids and Mudflap.

And most of the humor was terrible, However, the fight scenes ( Forest Fight in particular) were VERY good

-Star

14. NFossil

NFossil Well-Known Member

critics.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

From a visual point of view Shanghai is great.

From a story telling point of view it's not so good.

Not a really good set up as to why the two Decepticons have to die right then since they don't seem to be doing anything. Also if they are looking for something why not ambush them somewhere away from people. Not only did the really bad Shanghai attack idea put civilians in danger but it had the potential of too many witnesses.

I've also never been a big fan of the idea that a nation like China would just hand over an operation like that to a group that seems to be mostly American's with a token Brit thrown into the mix.

16. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I love ROTF! I definitely don't view it as perfect, and I can see why people wouldn't enjoy certain aspects of it, but I don't see the pure hatred for it. Much worse films are out there, Plus ROTF has the forest battle. 'Nuff said.

Also ROTF had a great toy line, just sayin.

17. Negronicus

Negronicus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The action sequences were a huge improvement over the first film, where very little was visible. Yet I still favor the first film....My problems with the film are:

Sam's college roommate, who I find annoying and should not be given the amount of screen time he was given.

The twins. I think this sort of explains itself.

The depiction of Devastator. Specifically, Devastator "balls," if you aren't going to take one of the most menacing early transformers seriously why even have him on the film at all.

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I agree that Devestator was more of a joke than anything, but namely because of the hype that was built up for the character that eventually fell flat (he got half his face shot up by Mudflap after sucking him into his head, and was defeated by GRAVITY using his own body mass against him), not because of the name's legacy from G1.

Plus, it's at least the name of a construction bot combiner this time, rather than just a tank (Brawl).

19. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

The movie itself wasn't bad, the humor was. The twins, Sam, his parents, that sort of thing. If they had left out all that crap it wouldn't have been as bad as everyone says it is.

20. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    ROTF's humor was way too dorky. I mean what kind of Transformers movie has humping robots and "wrecking balls?" If you can say straight to me that that isn't just a little bit weird...well it doesn't change anything for me.

I should also add that I don't hate ROTF but it the worst TF movie I have seen.