What was the toy that got you (back) into collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unchained5150, Sep 6, 2010.

1. unchained5150

unchained5150 Time to Disappear. TFW2005 Supporter

I've always been curious about which toy precisely started this obsession for everyone. If you haven't had a break in your collecting, what was the figure that got the ball rolling? If you've taken a break (or more than one) what was the toy that got you back into collecting?

The toy that started it all of (that I can remember that is) was G2 Sideswipe. Up until that point, I had been given Transformers as gifts for about every occassion since before I was born. My dad -loved- Transformers and would watch them religiously while I was in utero so, it's only fitting that I would love them just as much. lol.

I've taken a couple of breaks between various series. I remember collecting from late G1 until Beast Machines started, religiously. After that, I would only buy the vehicons from BM. When RiD came on the scene, I was ecstatic at first but, interest waned when my local podunk Walmart would only get a few new toys every once in a while. During that time, Gundam was making it's big push into the limelight so, that ended up taking all of my money with all of the various action figures and models; it's probably the reason why Gundam is second only to TFs on my, 'Things I love' list haha. This trend would continue, with me only buying random TFs here and there until after AEC had finally stopped airing and the toys left the shelves.

I was in the middle of a move out of the house to college in winter 2006 when I took a perusal through the toy aisles of a local K-Mart just down the street from my apartment. I had always cruised the toy aisles in hopes that something Transformers would FINALLY jump out at me and get a stranglehold on me like I had been in with G1/G2 and Beast Wars. That is exactly what happened that fateful day.

I saw a new TF hanging from the pegs in an old-school style cardback bubble. I almost ran to the pegs as this was a week before Christmas and kids were all about the toy aisles at the time. As I closed, I could see the word, 'Rodimus' on the bubble. Excitement grew and I got closer and closer to find that I would not be disappointed! Hotrod, my very favorite Transformers had not only been remade as a toy and I had found him on the shelf but, he was just as amazing as the first time I'd seen him in the movie! My mouth agape, I couldn't believe that I'd finally found that hook to bring me back in.

Mirage lay behind him, Bumblebee behind him and Megatron and Prime lay on the shelf below! It was as if God himself jumped into my mind and made exactly what I saw in my head; the EXACT thing that would get me back into Transformers with a passion. From then on, anything branded Classics (I don't care if it keeps getting rebranded, they'll always be Classics to me) is in my collection no questions, so long as it isn't a lame Energon repaint haha.

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had a few TFs when I was a kid, but I'd always loved my friend's G1 Ramjet. Time passed and I forgot about TFs until one day I saw a Classics Ramjet on the shelf in a comic book store. Then the 2007 movie happened...:p 

3. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Post-break, RiD Prowl got me to sit up and notice TFs again, but it was Alternators Silverstreak that finally persuaded me to get back into collecting.

4. jetfire4321

jetfire4321 Banned

2007 movie baricade

5. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Armada Starscream.

6. DragimusPrime

DragimusPrime Ex-Prime

Transformers Animated Prowl.

7. jazz89

jazz89 i'm rockin' moon base 1.

i would have to say that RID Ultra Magnus got me into collecting again. that figure is scweet! and yes that typo was intentional lol

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Energon had gotten me out of TF's for a long time, so it wasn't until the first Live Action movie that I got back into TF's and I ended up buying the original Movie Barricade figure. It was all downhill from there.

9. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Mine had to be those Toys R Us Commemorative Issues of Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus & Hot Rod.

Then once I found out about the Takara Transformers Collection book-style boxed reissues, I was committed forever.

10. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Animated Lockdown

11. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Beast wars, then RiD, and after some time...

Animated Starscream!

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    what got me back after my childhood? TM Megatron

After collecting for a good 6 years, I took a break for awhile but G1 Trypticon and Star Saber sucked me back in last year:rock 

13. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Classics Rodimus

14. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Cryotek

15. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I was shopping for Kyosho Mini-Z parts at a on-line toy store called ToyEast.com. I'm sure some of you have heard of them. I came across the Takara re-issue of G1 Optimus Prime and the price was reasonable at that time and just had to have it. Then, I also got G1 Smokescreen from the same store.

16. Somafreak38

Somafreak38 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cybertron Primus.

17. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

BW Optimal Optimus

18. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    the whole animated line, but animated prowl and cybertronian prime were the first ones I got my hands on, so those two.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  19. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Armada Demolisher.

it was an 18th gift from my sister and yeah that got the whole ball rolling. I mean before that I looked at the TF's at stores but never got one but it was the push I needed to start again

20. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

Toys-R-Us G1 re-issues.