what was the moment that got u hooked on transformers..

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kaos, Nov 30, 2010.

1. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

after answering a question in another post i thought it would be informative to see how others got hooked on bots and compare personal experiences with each other on how we got hooked on this drug..they always say a junkie knows the very moment he/she gets hooked..and being the trans junkie i am i know the very moment i got hooked..

i was the fall of '84 i think..idk if it was fall but the air in charleston sc wasnt as hot as it can get..so early fall i would say..my dad just got orders to charleston sc and we were staying in this apartment waiting for base housing to open up....well day two of us living in sc my brother and i were out exploring the neighborhood(my bro is 3 im 4) at the time when i see this kid much older than i (probally 8-10)flying this black n purple jet around making all sorts of jet noises and blowing stuff up..i ask him whats he doing and he replies playing with my new toy..in return im like cool what is it he says a transformer..(up to this point ive never seen a transformer in germany where we were there werent any)..i reply whats a transformer?...the kid says a robot thats more than meets the eye..im like whats that mean.. he says let me show u..and i $#!+ u not with full transformers transforming effect transforms this jet into a robot..instantly hooked..in fact i was so hook that my brother and i followed this kid around and meet his mother who invited us to his birthday party the kid was having later that day..(mind u its day two of us being back in the states and my parents hadnt seen us for like 5-6 hours)..needless to say they went scurring through the neighborhood in an intense search for their missing children thinking we where kidnapped 4 hours earlier... the cops knock on this kids door looking for us with my parents in tow asking if they seen 2 afro-american kids ages 3-4 years of age.. the kids mother points to me, im with a b-day hat on eating cake my brother drinking orange soda from a green plastic cup and all i see is my father looking through the door with a sign of relief but also with a pissed off look as well....totally worth it for my first introduction to something thats a big part of my life now L8s....:D 

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Probably when I got Leader Class TFTM Optimus back in 2007, before the movie came out. I got bit by the bug and my collection grew to 18 figures. Then ROTF came out and I bought some more.

3. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From around 1997 to 2000 I started collecting when Beast Wars was still on the air, I remember my first figures being Fuzors Quickstrike and Air Hammer. Afterward when Beast Machines came to an end my days of collecting transforming bots came to a screeching halt. Fast forward to the summer of 2007, just after graduating from high school, a good friend of mine took me and several others to go see the first live action Transformers movie and after that I decided to get myself my first figure in a long time, which was Movie 1 Arcee, good choice considering I never again saw her in stores. A few weeks later while at a local Toys R Us I purchased the deluxe 2008 Camero Bumblebee and after watching several Youtube reviews, mostly by JTMitchell87 and BikerTrashWolf, I became an instant fan of the toys and eventually became interested in the entire franchise. I must have lost track of how many figures I've procured throughout the 4 or so years I've been collecting, from Beast Wars to a little bit of RID (just X-Brawn for the time being) to the first movie line and ROTF, animated, all the variations of classics/universe/generations, to even my first G1 figure Perceptor. Now I just have to set up an extra room for all the stuff I collected so far.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    When I first read Marvel G1.

5. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I watched Beast Wars and BM growing up, hated the Unicron series (because of Japan's touch on it), but I became HOOKED with Bayformers 1.

6. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Saturday September 17th, 1984 when I saw a starfield and heard "Millions of years ago, on the planet Cyberton, life existed..."

--Moony

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I know for me it was the moment I saw Cheetor on the TV walking through the forest. I was just flipping through the channels. And I saw this awesome animation and a kitty! And I was like "What show is this?! SO COOL!" I watched it religious everyday it aired after that. And with the toys, my mom had taken me to TRU to get some Star Wars toys because I did good in school or something and I saw the Transformers toys, and was like "THESE TOO!! I WANT THESE TOO!" I miss those days.

/end flashback of 100 yrs ago. That had to be like 13 yrs ago.

8. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Not long ago, I was bored at around 8:20pm, and was skipping through channels, ans then I saw TF:A on, so I decided to watch it since nothing else was on. Instantly hooked. T'was the one when they go on the forest, Nature's Call I think...

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I had started watching Transformers Armada,Energon and Beast Wars on YTV back in 2004 and got a few toys not much but it wasn't until the middle of 2005 when i bought Cybertron Hotshot and the weeks afterward when the 3rd episode (Haven) in chronological order premiered in Canada.......

10. Seeker Lord

Seeker Lord Well-Known Member

When I was 11 living in the German Alps my grandmother from Canada sent me a Christmas present that was Optimus Prime and Brawn. Not having a TV or even an idea about anything outside my village it was amazing. The only toys I had was a whole Smurf town and a soccer ball. We moved to Canada in 1986 and just kept on the Transformers fanwagon. Now I'm in NC, 38 years old and still going.

11. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Just seeing G2 on TV and playing with a broken down Optimus Prime in Kindergarten. Forgot about the whole thing until Grade 1 and 2 when Beast Wars came out and then I got sucked in. Fell out of the loop after BW.

12. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

hmm daycare in 1990 cousins had a bunch of G1 figures also about the time the original cartoons where being aird on TV.

then i realy got into it when beast wars hit

13. codeman

codeman Well-Known Member

when i was 3 i found 7 or 8 in my lego box

14. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1984. 8 years old.

Up to that point I was playing with go-bots and enjoying the show as well as kid turbo. I believe I saw a commercial for a show that had the constructions (who weren't even in the week long series premiere). It blew my mind because what gobots did to kid turbo for me these transformers did to go-bots. There were kids with the toys before the show even premiered but I had thought they were go-bots.

After that the addiction started. Sadly almost all I ever got were star wars toys. I wanted transformers but I barely ever got them. Did get starscream first but I was uber jealous of the guys with Prime and the cars.

15. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

I honestly can't pinpoint the exact date, but I like to say it was Beast Wars that got me hooked.
    I was re-hooked by the movies and the Unicron Trilogy. Bendy Armada Prime remains one of my most favorite figures. :D 

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Back in... '96 I think? When I was at a beach house with my grand parents and sister. We were getting ready to go out and I was flipping through the channels on the TV when I saw Beast Wars part 1 airing for the first time. I turned it on just as Cheetor ran into Waspinator for the first time, and when I saw him jump in the air and transform I thought it was the coolest friggin' thing ever. That was my very first exposure.

The following Christmas my mother got me Cheetor and Grimlock (Dinobot redeco) and one of the season one VHS's. It was all downhill from there.

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Originally hooked: 1984 - thanks to the More than Meets the Eye miniseries and a Mirage toy on my birthday.

Re-hooked: 1996 - Internet early TF fan sites combined with Beast Wars and "When did they start making toys THIS good?" Laser Optimus Prime found at a flea market.

18. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I became hook when I saw Beast Wars. That was cool to me, animals turning into robots. Then as the series grew I became even more hook with it.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    The first time i heard those immortal words " Autobots transform and roll out!"

20. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I was 8. There was a robot and it turned into a truck. My family had a trucking business. What more did I need.