What was Megatron planning in AHM?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Kungfu Dinobot, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

Well?

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Was there supposed to be a plot? I guess I missed that.

3. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He was trying to root out any dissenters in the Decepticons. He didn't want them to be the way they are today, but had to mold them like that out of necessity. That way he could know who he could not mold into what he really wanted the Decepticons to be.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    He was trying to ruin IDW Transformers continuity.

I don't know, seriously, that was one of my problems with AHM.
    Okay, so I believe that Megatron beat up Optimus and that means the Decepticons have won.
    That flies in the face of every prior IDW story, but okay, I'll bite.
    Now what? Blow up buildings? Hole up in Manhattan?
    Oh, he has The Matrix, and that means... I guess it means nothing.
    So, the Decepticons won, they're on Earth, they're not looking for resources, "super energon" is forgotten, so what the hell are they doing?

Having read the book, I can't see how you reached that conclusion.

5. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I believe you are right but it was a really half assed job the writer did of getting that accross.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I thought he just wanted to rule the world(s).

7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Megatron was planning mysterious things. MYSTERIOUS THINGS, SLAGGIT.

8. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I think Starscream and Megatron talked about it once.

We didn't get any revelations from the talk besides the fact that even Megatron didn't know what he was planning.

9. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Exactly right. Megatron even discusses it with Starscream.

The reason for the "meaningless" attacks on the humans:

Megatron's ultimate goal:

Once the war was won, and the Autobots defeated, Megatron set his army on the humans, a job that was far too easy for them. In time, without a serious challenge to band together and fight against, they started turning on each other. And as Megatron said, the point was to see who was loyal and obedient to him, and who was not. Without the Autobots as a common enemy to bind his army together, he had to learn who would instead be bound by the Decepticon ideals he had set out.

It's all right there in black and white. Megatron spells it out, clear as day. I don't see how anyone could miss it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  10. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I think it could be missed because it was something Megatron said, rather than something he did, built, or destroyed. Subtlety isn't something we get a lot of in Transformers media.

11. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    12 issues and that was the climax of the story?

No wonder IDW has lost so much support. It was made out to be this huge, ground-breaking story, a whole year, worth "cancelling" the "ation" series, and that was the ultimate story plot device?

Megatron telling Starscream what he's doing? And then fighting Devastator? And then losing to the Autobots after they show up?

Wow.

12. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Pretty much. :( 

I mean, With the -ation books, I was reading them as soon as I would sit down in the car. With this new stuff, it sits on the table for two months until I'm bored and can pull myself to read it. :( 

I loved where IDW was going in the beginning, but I'm convinced they have no idea how to handle long term properties anymore.

13. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    I don't know, I rather enjoyed all the character development and interaction that took place over all 12 issues. It was well worth my time to read. In any case, the OP's question was "what was Megatron planning?", with his question clearly implying that there was no plan. That's demonstrably untrue.

And as far as Furman's work goes, it was always quite good, but I remember well enough that when he was the current writer, there were tons of complaints about how slowly the plots were moving, and how the story never seemed to go anywhere, and the humans were getting too much page time at the expense of the Autobots. Maybe not from you, Kickback, and I don't know what your opinion was at the time, but in general there was a lot of griping. Now his stories are the gold standard?

This is a fickle fandom.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  14. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

His storys are far from gold but they are miles of head of AMH from a story telling stand point.

15. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I gave up after 6. From the heavily-butchered adaptation of 7-10 shown in Titan's UK ROTF comic, it seems I wasn't missing much thereafter.

This is exactly why Maximum Dinobots was the last IDW series I brought.

16. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    As it happens, I do think Furman's stories are better in terms of plot and actual story content, and that McCarthy has the edge on Furman in terms of using the characters well. But my point stands... many fans that now laud Furman's work were complaining about it at the time.

17. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree with that. My main complaint with AHM is that it seemed to have no goal, and in the end, OP gets revived and saves the day, which everyone already knew was going to happen. While some of the conversations with the Cons were neat, the story as a whole didn't accomplish much of anything.

And I haven't gotten too far into the ongoing and Bumblebee book yet (I think 2 issues into each), but the story starts off with them getting tricked into wearing badges that do bad things to them. So you have a race of intelligent machines, and they get tricked into wearing these things, and not so much as a single Autobot even considers testing them first?

I don't read a lot of comics, but the ones I do are good. It's like night and day going from a Brian K. Vaughan or Robert Kirkman book to a Transformers comic. And I know that it's not fair to compare those books, but my point is that it's refreshing to read original, smart writing, and not so much having to dumb down the brain when coming back to one of my favorite franchises tof all time. But this point has been stated many times, and sadly it doesn't appear to be changing any time soon.

18. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I never said that Simon Furman is the gold standard of Transformers story-telling -- mostly because in the last 5 years, none of his stories were ever completed, and those that were started super slow and then hit the climax and ending all in one issue, making them feel rushed and rather anti-climatic.

As for the characterization in AHM ... cool. Too bad it's about to be completely retconned if it hasn't already, which has become a new IDW standard.

19. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    I have to agree with you there. I read the first two issues of the Bumblebee mini, but all the characters act like idiots. So I won't be buying the rest.

20. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    That's G1 Megs for you when he's written in a bad way.

I think Furman is awesome when it comes to writing TF comics. It's jut that his stories always get canned due to Executive Meddling before he even gets to finish them in a big way.