What was it like in other countries?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by 80Datsun210, Jul 8, 2007.

1. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

Hey international TF fans!
    Someone mentioned seeing this movie in Holland, and someone in Argentina. I understand it's not out yet in the UK (why not??) and is coming to Japan next month, presumably so they have time to translate.

I am always very interested in how American movies are translated and perceived in other countries. I lived in Germany for a year and saw, among other things, "Wayne's World," where I noticed sometimes I was the only one laughing at certain references. The whole thing was dubbed in German, but to this day I don't know how they translated certain jokes.

There are a couple scenes where the soldier Fig speaks Spanish and all his buddies are like, "English, dude! We don't speak Spanish!" How was that handled in Spanish-speaking countries, for example?

Was the version shown in Holland in English, with Dutch subtitles? If so, did they keep the Cybertronian writing as part of the subtitles when the Decepticons are speaking?

If the movie is dubbed, how would they do the bits where Bumblebee is speaking through sound bites off the radio?

J'aime beaucoup les langues et les Transformers aussi, je suis étudiant des langues.
    Ich liebe Fremdsprachen und auch Transformers (gibt's eigentlich ein deutsches Wort dafür?), ich studiere Sprachen.
    Lo ciento, no hablo mucho español.

2. 0JazzMeister0

0JazzMeister0 Autobot Jo

News Credits:
    Singapore had Chinese subtitles, and while I dont know Chinese myself, alot of my friends who DO know the language told me the subbing was pretty bad.

Yes, they still kept the Cybertronian. I think, unless you're online frequently and have American friends that you talk to on a daily basis, some of the jokes about the Govt and President Bush fell flat. Alot of folks I thought didnt really get the dig at President Bush on Air Force One.

Same thing for the "Football and brain damage" line. We dont exactly get "jocks" over here, and our version of high school's not exactly the same.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    my countrymen have started to learn english and subsquently, a local transformers worshipping cult.

...this is not the 1st time the US has exported their movies overseas and most certainly not the 1st one where cultural difference causes conflict (if any). i know dude didnt mean harm, but i found it hella condescending for some inexplicable reason, duh.

4. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    Here in Sweden, they only dub kid's movies, who are then released both in Swedish and in their original language, subtitled in Swedish. (thank God for that! i hate dubs...). I have a better grasp of the English language than many of my countrymen, so I generally understand jokes about the culture, people, and situations in the US, but the translators often turn those jokes into local variants, or totally misinterpret them. If it were up to me, we wouldn't have subtitles at all. I feel that they are in the way and increase the margin for error.'Nuff said. I'm watching the movie again tonight with some friends. Kickass!

5. tiger6493

tiger6493 New Member

we have Thai subtitles.. it's quite pretty good in theatre, but very bad in pirate DVDs. 'cause they use computer s/w translator for DVDs. I think the cybertronian words were on the pictures, not on the subtitles, so it couldn't be changed.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    cant wait for the mistranslated pirated DVDs

DO NOT WANT

7. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    Here in Holland, yes the movie is in English with Dutch subtitles, the Cybertronian writing was left out though.

8. Mast3r_Scourge

Mast3r_Scourge Little Evil :)

In Lithuania it wasn't dubed, it was English... :( 
    There was only titles, everyone laughed, aploused when movie ended...
    That was great! BTW. There was no Cybertronian letter too...
    Frenzy was funniest transformer :) 

9. Atin

Atin Well-Known Member

First of all hi!

In the Netherlands (Holland is actualy only a part of the Netherlands:dunce  ) All movies are shown in the original languages, with Dutch subtitles (except for movies for children, like Ice Age, Cars, etc).
    Resulting in Transformers being in English (thank god!) with the Dutch subtitles. When the Decepticons spoke Cybertronian it was subtiteled in Dutch too.
    As for when BB "spoke" trough his radio it was not subtitled I think, but my friends and I had no problem with that.

Hope this answers your questions ;) 

10. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    The cinema's subtitles not really that good too.

I hate the Transformers' chinese names..

The Autobots are called Car Men for god's sake :banghead: 

11. 80Datsun210

How so? Can you think of some examples?

I thought Netherlands = Holland! Sorry, my bad! (What's the rest of the Netherlands, then? Is Belgium part of that?)

Wow. How did they handle the names of all the Transformers, then? Blackout, Barricade, Starscream, Frenzy, Ratchet, Ironhide, Jazz, all are English words. The only one I can think of possibly being "Latin" is Optimus Prime (and Megatron is kind of just Megatron). Was "Bumblebee" translated into the local word for the insect? (That would be kinda funny if "Bumblebee" got translated into "Wespe," considering the Vespa is a moped!)

This is fascinating. :) 

12. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    Most of the Transformers' name are just chinese words which sound like the english names. But some has different names. These are what I can remember

Bumblebee is called big yellow bee
    Ironhide is called iron skin
    Starscream is called red spider (don't ask me why)

I think these chinese names are the official chinese names though, I see them in official materials

13. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    After having seen the US version at BotCon it annoyed the **** out of me that we didn't get the neat Cybertronian writing in the subs here.

Technically Holland consists of 2 of our 12 provinces, however generally for foreigners Holland = the Netherlands.

14. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The movie will debut here in brazil July 20th. No TV spots, no toys, no marketing, no advertising, nada so far. I've heard the movie did badly in Spain and Italy, I bet brazil will have one of the worst box office performances, if not the worst. All they want to see here is soccer.

15. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    GO CAR MEN!

16. christopher

christopher Well-Known Member

NZ - no translation or regionalising necessary, we got to see the movie first anyway, both times I saw it people got the jokes and laughed, but nobody moved to tears and no standing ovations.

17. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:

Oh my god...

Netherlands = Holland dude....

18. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

-CAR MEN, transform and roll out!
    - as you command, otoman pacman!

oh, and CARMEN sandiego, where the hell are you?!!!

God I LOVE this.

19. 80Datsun210

OK, I'm an idiot. :dunce  :eek:  I was confused by the "Holland is part of Netherlands" comment.

20. 80Datsun210