What voices do yo hear when you read the IDW comics

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by mrgalvaprime, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    As the title says what character voices do you think of while reading IDW's TF comics?

2. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    I generally hear them as their g1 voice actors with some exceptions:
    -Bombshelll has Tarantulus's voice
    -Swindle has Rattrap's voice
    -Galvatron in Devastation has his lenord nemoy voice but from AHM onwards he has his season 3 voice
    -Starscream has his Armada Voice
    -Ratchet in a weird cross between his G1 Voice and his Movie Voice
    -Swindle as a slightly higher toned version of his TF animated version

If they didnt have a voice actor i generally think of a voice that matches theyre personality

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    G1 voice actors as well, though with Ratchet getting older, I kind of think of him with Prime Ratchet's voice.

4. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    I mostly imagine the g1 voices, with some exceptions

Ratchet in my brainium sounds like his animated counterpart.

I imagine Prowl's voice to be a bit more along the lines of Thomas Gibson (from Criminal Minds)

I can't help but imagine Wheeljack speaking in Jon Bailey's version of his voice. (Generation II *scene* Beachhead calls the Autobots - YouTube) Which makes me giggle.

5. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Optimus is always Cullen and Starscream is Chris Latta.

The real shame of it is Latta never lived to give Starscream the better dialog that came as writers made his character better developed.

Actually haven't given much thought to who voices certain characters in my head other than the default G1 cartoon, but of course that wouldn't apply to characters that either never had any dialog in G1, or have so completely changed in character from "3rd cheerful bot on the left" that they were depicted in G1 (like Prowl for instance)

6. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Optimus- Gary Chalk
    Bumblebee- WFC
    Drift- Cheetor
    Starscream- Prime
    Megatron- David Kaye

Pretty much everybody else is either their Animated or Prime counterpart though there are a few G1s in there.

7. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

I am more worried about the voices I hear when I am not reading something. (sorry couldnt help my self ;) 

8. Nemesis Maximus

Nemesis Maximus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    great question!

Peter Cullen for Optimus, no question. Also for Ironh- i'm sorry, 'Arnnnnnnharrrrd'.

Megatron veers closer to the 'Prime' version Frank Welker is doing. More measured and sinister.

Swindle has his animated voice for me: I'm a big Fred Willard fan from his appearences in Christopher Guests films, he always comes across as a brilliant motormouth, and that is exactly how i imagine Swindle.

Ratchet gets Jeffrey Coombs, because my geek obsession apart from TFs is all things zombie, and i love Reanimator. Oh, if Ratchet were to start playing with dark energon i'd flip out.

Jazz is pretty much Fred Williamson.

Ultra Magnus in the iDW-verse is more Robert Stack than he ever was before.

For Prowl, i get a bit of a dark and uber-serious version of Dan Akroyd in 'Dragnet'. No funnies obviously, but that buttoned up, clipped way of speaking, i can see that... until he blows.

Kup is R. Lee Emery from 'Full Metal Jacket'.

Sixshot is Marlon Brando in full Kurtz mode.

Springer is probably Martin Sheen as Willard.

not a fan of the live actions, but for me Mirage now speaks with an italian accent.

Alpha Trion is so Alec Guinness.

Skywarp is Eric Bana in 'Chopper'

haha, i'm going to stop, for now. i could do this all day!

9. nukedproducts

nukedproducts Built-in Tears!

I seem to usually read megatron's voice in sort of unicron trilogy voice (David kaye).

10. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    One that stands out for me is John Goodman as Hardhead. When I first read his lines in the IDW run, I didn't remember what Hardhead sounded like in the one or two episodes he appeared in at the end of G1 so I plugged in John Goodman and liked the results.

11. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I read most things in Kate Mulgrew, Johnathan Franks or Jeffery Combs' voice when it comes to the 3rd person (I've been doing this since I was a little kid), but when it comes to comics & things of that nature, it really tends to vary, often without logic, and often with Tarantulas' VA tending to make stops along the way.

12. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

When someone has a voice actor, I read that person's dialogue in that person's voice. E.g. I read Optimus as Peter Cullen, Starscream as Chris Latta, etc.

I'm kind of interested in how people read characters who either don't have a voice actor (e.g. Nemesis Prime) or have a voice actor but the voice is so obscure that it may well not have a voice (e.g. Sixshot). When that happens, I "assign" a character, and I put a voice actor in that role and read that character in my head.

The voice that I hear when I read IDW Nemesis Prime is Keith David, and the voice I hear for IDW Sixshot is (believe it or not) Scott McNeil's sarcastic voice (he was a fun-loving, aloof, humorous 'bot in Devastation, and I thought that was very refreshing).

13. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I don't know if I can picture Keith David as baddie prime, but I'm totally with you on Sixshot. Either that or Futurama's Morbo.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Mostly the G1 cartoon voices, I guess, except for Chalk and Kaye as Optimus and Megatron. I haven't really thought much about it to be honest. There may be a little Animated in there, too.

15. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Fuck now thats what im going to hear from now on.

Once you hear you cant unhear

16. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Big Green Dead?

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    From Last Stand of The Wreckers:
    Brian Bloom - Springer (But more like Captian America)
    Edward Asner - Kup (Gone Old School)
    Philip Proctor - Shockwave (I.E. Baron Mordo and The Tinkerer)
    Gary Anthony Williams - Overlord (In His Mongul Voice, He should voice Thanos)
    Dwight Schultz - Skyquake (What Else? Not like Richard Green from Prime, Even Though they both voice Magneto)
    Tom Kenny - Twin Twist
    Jeff Bennett - Ironfist/Fistron

I Know he was not in the Book, But Hardhead should be Voiced by Cathal J. Dodd (Wolverine from the 90's) in a Animated Adaption. I hear him in my Head.

17. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I'm new to IDW only read Infiltration, Half of Escalation, MtMtE 1, and RiD 1.

So far, as these are generally G1 characters, I'm using G1 voices. Some match up better than others. Hot Rod in RiD seems more swauve and cocky than my mental image of G1 Hor rod, so his voice is fairly different.

What really seems odd to me is how I imagine the Japanese-G1 characters like Metalhawk and Overlord. I basically hear them with their original Japanese voice, more or less, but speaking (unaccented) English. Same really goes for characters from The Headmasters. I think I've only watched The Rebirth once and it frankly never gave many characters more than one line, so very few of those voices stuck.

As for the humans, I've got a voice for each of them, but I don't know who they sound like really. Also, I somehow give a slightly different voice to the holo-matter personas of the Autobots than thier regular voice. I like to imagine those "people" as a bit of a full persona rather than just a literal mask.

18. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wallace Shawn as Ratbat. I've only just started hearing this after rereading Marvel's G1 run again, and it works really well.

19. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

ive been reading them with/to my 5 year old son. so i have to make all the voices. :)  im getting pretty good. :D 

20. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I used to hear Peter Cullen's voice come out of Optimus Prime until he said, "lair, you're all liars" in Chaos Theory part 2.