What Universe toys are must buys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kaymac, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Universe is a series I don't have many toys from, but from what I have, I can tell it kicks a lot of ass. I have Cheetor, Starscream, Hound with Ravage and Legends Bumblebee. But I want to know, since my Zellers is getting a lot of Universe toys now (old stock), what are must buys from this line? I know Inferno is one, but I can't find the bastard! >.<

2. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Sunstreaker/Sideswipe and Cyclonus lead the pack as buy on sight goodness.

Galvatron is a fantastic figure too. Prowl (and the other 350Zs) are alright, but prone to falls apart, poor QC, and smudgy paint.

Stay away from Onslaught.

3. Kaymac

I saw Cyclonus at TRU, but bought Screamer instead. :D  I still love Screamer, but Zeddy's is putting out the old stock, so if Cyclonus show up, he's a definate buy. Sunstreaker's already there! :D 
    Galvy is already there, but I don't want to buy him in case all the rumors I've hard are true and he falls apart all the time. :( 

I heard Onslaught was good, what's the matter?

4. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Cyclonus
    Sideswipe(even though IMO he's pretty overrated but still a good fig)
    Prowl
    They're the only must buys in my opinion
    EDIT: If you don't mind Galvs small size he's an alright figure

5. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    He didn't take me in - he's far too blocky. It feels like something from Armada to be honest, although the leg transformation is quite nifty.

Give Treadbolt a shot if you see him - Powerglide's main issue was stuff not pegging together securely in robot mode but I'm under the impression they've fixed that for the repaint.

6. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with Onslaught. He is a very nice figure. That is just my opinion. He is a must buy. I also would say Cyclonus, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Inferno, Seekers, and Hound. The Prowl and Ironhide molds are also pretty decent.

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    NOT THIS. Last year, IIRC, this fanboard voted Onslaught the best toy of 2008.

8. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I mised getting Cyclonus.

I hope some store brings him on the shelves as either clearance or Black Friday.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Inferno rocks.

The Seeker Molds are the best, dead on, most improved molds i have seen.

Powerglide is decent, just fix those overtightened screws at the wing/body connection or you will get stresss marks- or worse.

Treadbolt- i say get him because i missed out on Classics Jetfire/Skyfire and the mold is actually great

Blades- just love it

The Twins- Sunstreaker and Sideswipe

Prowl- but i am biased and mine has no QC issues.

10. Kaymac

Okay, the ones people have said:

Onslaught: I like him, and so do a lot of people. I'll pick him up on sale since I don't got much money. *pockets inside out*

Cyclonus: skipped him in favor of Starscream. Not a bad choice, but I'll buy Cyclonus since I missed out the first time.

Sideswipe: Suntreaker re-deco I presume? I like Sunstreaker, but I don't have him yet! Sideswipe is a very cool character, so I'll probably pick up both brothers.

Sunstreaker: Love what I've seen of him from reviews and stuff. I want to buy the figure, since I see him at Zeller's a lot.

Inferno: Can't find the bastard >.<

Seekers: I have Screamer, but Acid Storm doesn't do the mold justice. Sorry.

Hound: Have him :D 

Prowl: See him at Zeller's a lot too. I should pick him up!

Ironhide: Not at Zeddy's yet, but a very nice figure from what I've seen. :D 

Galvatron: I'm just worried about him falling apart. Heed my call and tell me if this is a SOOPER widespread problem!

Tread Bolt: Cool, but I don't know if I'll buy him just yet.

Thanks for your help. Also, should I buy Tankor/Octane?

EDIT: Missed the above post. :D 

Powerglide: I have seen him, but I think he looks a little bit gibbled. Is the red re-deco coming out in America? If so, I'll hold off until that's out.

Blades: Seen him, but I don't like him all that much. He seems like an okay figure from what I've seen, but can someone tell me what the best features of the toy are?

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Mirage and Rodimus

12. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Ratchet is a great repaint. If you like Ironhide, you'll love Ratchet.

13. MrSoundwaveGuy

News Credits:
    NO! Don't buy that horrendous Ironhide mold. Horrible vehicle mode, head doesn't even go up all the way unless you grab out an x-acto knife, and just ugly looking. Octane is also pretty disappointing, ugly robot mode, a joke of an oil tankor mode

14. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    all of them

15. Rodimus83

Rodimus83 Autobot

I have the whole line except a few of the repaints...and in my opinion...the whole line was awesome...regardless of QC or any other issues...when was the last time we got a chance to buy G1-esque inspired looking figures other than actually buying G1 figures...Universe is great!

16. Kaymac

Looked on the back of the package for Octane. It didn't look too nice. I have a thing for triple changers, so I almost bought it. Decided against it for the best.

Ironhide after a few looks does look a bit junky. Did they fix up anything with the the mold for the Ratchet toy? He looks a hell of a lot better than Ironhide for some reason.

From original Universe? We mean the 2008 franchise. I know, gets confusing. >.<

17. Rodimus666

Rodimus666 Member

Sideswipe/Sunstreaker, Cyclonus are musts. I don't have Cyclonus yet, but he just looks like a thing of beauty and so far haven't seen a negative review of him. So I'd say pick those ones up for sure.

Universe Galvatron is a joke. And not even a funny one. Avoid it like the plague. It wounds me that I wasted £13 on that piece of crap.

18. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    ... are both Classics figures, not Universe (Classics 2.0). He wouldn't be able to walk into TRU to buy those, even if they are nice figures.

Onslaught is awesome. He looks so menacing and very much like his G1 self. His transformation is clever, but not needlessly complex.

Galvatron is better than given credit for. His stuff pops off and he's a bit runty. Otherwise, he's decent but not a must-buy.

Tankor/Octane has a really good robot mode, pretty good airplane mode, but his tanker mode sucks bad in my opinion.

Acid Storm is really just there to beef up the Decepticon numbers. He's okay as a repaint though. Can't have too many seekers.

The Prowl molds (Prowl, Silverstreak, Smokescreen) are really nice and pull off epic poses well. I never had a sticky paint issue personally. I'd get Smokescreen if I could only have just one.

Sunstreaker and Sideswipe are amazing. Get them both as it's one of the most clever designs in a while and they pull off nice poses.

Ironhide/Ratchet both had good robot modes and decent vehicle modes. Not bad at all, unless a million cracks in the alt-mode bother you.

Powerglide is neat. He's the wrong color if you want G1 accuracy, and VERY much the wrong size. Other than that, his arm contraption should be a bit better engineered to hold together. He looks amazing in poses and in alt mode though.

Silverbolt looks really great in both modes. His transformation is a joke (fold jet into three, pull robot legs), but oh well.

Treadbolt is good. Not a bad Jetfire repaint. I'd get him again.

Hound is awesome. Neat transformation, amazing robot mode (even if his shoulder thing should mount better), awesome alt-mode and it comes with Ravage!

Cyclonus is incredible. One of the most clever transformations to date and he looks absolutely amazing. I own both the Universe and Henkei versions and I fiddle with both more than any other TF.

Starscream is the basic Seeker mold. If you can make sure there's no melty wing, you should be okay. Mine's joints are tight and all that. You're basic seeker in very accurate to the G1 cartoon colors.

Inferno is beyond words awesome. Nice solid bot with great posability and a great head sculpt. Really clever and smooth transformation into a nice looking alt-mode. It's pretty much perfect in my eyes.

If you can get them, pick up Legends Cosmos, Warpath, Brawn, Wheelie, and Beachcomber. They are all pretty damn good. Warpath is especially awesome.

2-pack exclusives are just repaints. Ratbat and Springer is the best one, really.

Cheetor and Dinobot aren't my thing really, but I heard others say they are iffy anyway.

19. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would say all of them, except Universe figures which are repaints from other lines. I would also skip: Galvatron, Hot Shot, Cheetor, and Dinobot.

20. MrSoundwaveGuy

News Credits:
    My Ratchet has much better paint than my Ironhide. Still doesn't make the mold good enough to purchase