What type of Transformers fan are you?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tuxedo Mark, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Tuxedo Mark

Tuxedo Mark Well-Known Member

Okay, this is a very broad, open-ended question. What do you personally look for / get out of Transformers?

For me, I'll watch any series (though it's hard for me to get into Animated), but I'm very particular about something. I care about only the female characters. Yes, really. I'd be like "Giant robots, blah, blah, blah, oh, there's Carly, blah, blah, blah, Optimus, who cares, blah, blah, ooh, Marissa!"

Same with Beast Wars. I follow Blackarachnia.

Same with Armada/Energon. I'm interested in Alexis, Misha, and Arcee.

I'm currently watching RiD. What do I look forward to? Kelly's daily mishap.

And so forth.

I buy the female toys, but I don't particularly play with them. I just display them.

I've been slowly reading the Marvel comics. All about Jesse, of course. I used to be into the Dreamwave stuff, and we know how that ended. I don't have a local comic shop, so I can't get into the IDW stuff.

I write occasional fanfics. I'm not into the fan comics and such (mostly because my ex-girlfriend introduced me to them, and that brings up painful memories).

2. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm in it for the ROBOTS. Mainly.
    The Unicron Trilogy humans were effing annoying, and G1's human characters weren't really 'characterfull'. But the new Movieverse and Animatedverse has really changed my opinion on the human characters, since there they aren't annoying brats that do nothing to help the storyline whatsoever.
    So Robots, mainly, and if the humans are done right, I would give em more credit. I don't care male OR female robots, cuz it depends on the character. Got into watching Beast Machines a while ago, and then turned into a collector when the live action movies came out. And now, while not a completist (AND not owning more than 25 transformers), I still enjoy the collecting business.
    I have a small collection, mainly cuz I only choose the ones I REALLY like, both asthetically and build.
    So (like many of us here), I'm a robot guy

If that's what you mean by "Type of Transformers Fan"

3. funstorm

funstorm Doer of nothing

I'm a recreational user

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I wouldnt call myself a diehard fan. I've only watch three series from start to end (BW, BM, and Animated.) Havent seen any of the new TF movies. I consider

I started off with Beast Wars. So I didnt have to deal with the glorified truck, the bucket head with a canon, or back stabbing jet that are a comon theme in most series. Which is something I'm so happy to been able to do.

When it comes to the series, I wait and hope for the day that I can hear the word Maximal or Predacon again on a new series. But I hope for new characters and actors. If that does not happen, I hope for something that has a Beast Wars feel to it. Like good story, good character developments, good voice acting, low human annoyance, new ideas.

When it comes to the toys. I get what I like. I have no problem passing up a Prime for a non show figure. Heck I only got two Primes. When it comes to the figures I look at this stuff. If it's a beast mode transformer, it's get on sight for me. If it's a vehicle transformer, then the color or look plays into it. As G1 means little to me when it comes to figures, tribute repaints dont come in play. I usualy go for the Deluxe and below sizes.

When it comes to the movies. I have only seen the G1 movie. But if my generation ever gets a movie, I'll camp out in advance to see a Beast Wars movie.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Im a G1 and general TF fan but not of hardcore ranking.

6. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fairweather fan.

Close enough!

7. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

The true kind.

Seriously though, I really do love Transformers in general. Sure, I poke Energon, Beast Machines, etc., but I don't really hate them. I like almost every aspect of the franchise, come to think of it.

8. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I just want to see cool-looking robots in epic action scenes, and some cool toys to go along with them. I've been a fan of the franchise to varying degrees of intensity since I was a kid.

I am hopelessly obsessed with the Bayverse and Starscream in general.

9. rumsawatti

rumsawatti Dino-bot

honestly now dat u mention it...im not sure wat i find in tfs...but then again wat do people find in crack??? lol but i guess im in for da fun of it...watchin dem crush stuff...and each other...readin em do it...and makin my own versions of it...

10. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I'm a Transformers fan, plain and simple. I'm not hardcore, but I follow it a lot more than the general public. I collect certain figures, usually staying towards the smaller scales excpet for special figures, mainly Megatrons. i've expanded my purchases more since I converted my wife to a TF fan (she's just a passing fan, I guess). She wears the t-shirts and picks up a few toys but never plays when them.

What category of fan would you fall into if you write your own TF comics?

11. S.A.A.M.

S.A.A.M. Beta-Maximus

G1 fan. Some Movieverse.

12. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm the good kind..

Watch and purchase every series I can, buy all the GN's I can..and as for figures, mostly Autobots, then there's the clothing.. T's, PJ's, Hoodies, Jackets, etc., and you can't forget the wall items.. calendars, posters..and then there's Xmas ornaments, and gift packaging.. so you get the picture, right??? :lol 

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'll give any cartoon series a shot but I don't always like every cartoon series.

The live action movies have some good ideas and even a few good scenes, but I'm just too disappointed with the movies to watch them more than once.

Really haven't kept up with the comic books because it's such a long drive to a comic book shop and there is the whole sticker shock with what comic books cost these days.

I collected the G1 Robot Heroes until Hasbro canceled the line.

I collect the toys that will fit nicely into my Classics/Universe collection but if they don't fit I pass on them.

Will likely start a Power Core collection this fall.

I can't afford to spend too much on figures so I'm not much of an exclusives collector.

14. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A toy fan... the fiction (movies, cartoons, comics) is unimportant to the point of being almost entirely irrelevant, for me. I generally like everything Transformers-toy related, and what I don't like, I simply don't support with my wallet.

I don't get angry or nerdrage about Hasbro, Takara, or other fans, but do enjoy sharing and learning information on TFW. And that's about it.

15. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

would you call me a diehard fan? maybe i've been a fan since the beginning(1984) always kept watching for new series have most of the comics and even had some toys back in the day. trannsformers just makes me feel like a kid again. sure like alot of fans here and around the world get teased but i don't care i'm alot more open know that i like tf's and proud of it. just look at my saying at the bottom of my name. oh i know i'm babbing but i like all series in general but g1 is my fav so i'm a old school fan. the only series i haven't checked out yet is rid but i will soon.

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I'm a general Transformers fan.

I've seen just about every TF series; just need to watch the Japanese G1 shows, Beast Wars/Machines, and RID... and I will get to watching them, as soon as I can find them on DVD.

I've read some of the comics, the ones from Marvel that my brother had and the others from IDW. I've also read the movie novels by Alan Dean Foster, as well as a number of fanfics and TF photo-comics (the Funnies here on TFW).

I'm currently writing a fanfic, and I had started on a serious TF photo-comic but quit making it due to real-life issues getting in the way and not being too pleased with what I did to the comic, but I am planning to start a new one relatively soon.

I collect the toys, I have between 100 to 200 figures -- not sure what the exact number is, since I need to recount and I've got some that I'm going to try and sell. I'm not a completist, nor do I aim to be one.

I like Transformers mostly because of the robots, all of which have their own distinct personalities that sets them apart from one another. That, and the story of two factions locked into a civil war that goes from their home planet to Earth never fails to get boring, even more so since they're constantly reinventing the whole franchise.

17. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    G1, Movie, and classics. That's all.

18. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  19. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I like all Transformers... mostly.

G1 I'm not the BIGGEST fan, but I enjoyed the 86 movie, and the show has its own cheesy charm. :) 

Beast Wars is about the best series ever - story, script, acting, CGI, everything. While Beast Machines was a bit of a dissapointment with the character changes and the loss of Rhinox, it still had everything Beast wars had, and made it better.

Robots in Disguise had its own cheesy charm too, and the toys were awesome. Tad too lighthearted, but I enjoyed it.

The Unicron Trilogy was a let down for me - I already never liked anime, so maybe that's why. Armada wasn't horrific, but it wasn't the best show ever. Energon was horrific, with its low CGI, scripting, etc, IMO. Cybertron wasn't much better, but it was nevertheless a step up.

The movies have been hit and miss with me, but the hits have been great for me. These include the banter between Autobots, the epic fight scenes, and the badassedness of the designs. The misses were the explicit, vulgar humor of ROTF, the Decepticons always being killed off in large numbers, and little screentime or characterization for the robots.

Also the unneeded, excessive screentime of focus on the humans in the 07 film, dumbass humans like Leo, and the Twins abundance of screentime. Finally, the fact that Animated was cut off abruptly right when Bay had to come and get his money.

Offscreen, many things piss me off as well: the whoring of the human actors, Megan Fox's lack of real talent besides looks, turning blind eyes to the voice actors, and Bay's somewhat dickish attitude towards us at times (February 09 when he said we have so much of it wrong; gleefully killing Arcee and Jazz; and his whole lust for explosions).

Animated was the same level of Beast Wars, sans the CGI. The homages were always fun to look for, and the characterization was great; examples include Ratchet and Prowl. It was always amazing to see big reveals and new characters, particularly in the third season. But, the crappy, rushed ending dissapointed me.

Transformers has been great for me besides the Unicron Trilogy and the many flaws in Bay's film. I then remember that Transformers even though I may not like some of it, there's always something else, and someone else will like it.

20. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

I've followed Transformers since Generation 1, but the true core of my passion lies with the Beast Era. I am a fan of both the toys and the fiction, but my interest in the fiction extends primarily to the Generation 1 continuity family.

Beast Machines is obviously my favorite iteration of the series, and that's primarily due to:
    A. It is the series that diverges the most from the status quo.
    B. It's the darkest Transformers cartoon.
    C. Small band of insurgents vs. evil, narcissistic dictator and his limitless army of blindly loyal/mindless followers happens to be my favorite kind of plot.
    D. Is the most philosophical Transformers series.
    C. Had the darkest/most intelligent Megatron by far.

The Beast Machines toyline however, left a bad taste in my mouth. It deserves derision, as it was probably one of the worst toylines since G2. I still hope that one day, some of those character designs are revisited and done justice by Hasbro.

Also, my faction of choice is Vehicon. Are there any other Vehicon fans out there?