What type of Transformer will be in the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by buckmana, May 19, 2006.

1. buckmana

buckmana Well-Known Member

I'm new here, so I don't know if this is an original topic.

My favorite Transformers toys were the ones starting from the first release (Optimus Prime, Megatron, et all). I didn't lose interest in the toy franchise until sometime after they released the Turbomaster/Predator line. I think this was when they started releasing repainted original Transformers (which I didn't work out until I'd bought Onslaught and Vortex only to discover they didn't have original paint schemes). They clash with the three original Combaticons I already had!!! I know, I'm stupid for not knowing that before I bought them.

Nowadays everytime I see a Transformer in the toy store, it's a case of wanting to gouge my eyes out rather than have to look at them. They just took old names and slapped them on new toys. And they don't even have any relation to the original toys.

I've long wanted an Arcee toy. Arcee as a bike??? Criminal!!! Won't be buying that one. Why didn't they just call her a Junkion and then the toy might have been original.

The only new Transformer(s) I bought is a Micromaster Devastator. And only because I found one that matched the original paint scheme. I saw one in another store that didn't and couldn't even recognise him as Devastator.

Sidetracked a lot, but it relates to my point.

Are they making the movie with the original Transformers or these new Transformers?

If it's a case of that latter, I won't be seeing the movie. I'll still ticked about the games that came out (Beast Wars and something else I can't remember).

I read somewhere on the internet that they seem to be alienating the old fans just to get new ones (it was a reference to this movie).

2. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Well, let's just say that you'll be avoiding this movie then. ;)  They can hardly do a direct-to-big screen adaption of MTME. It could be a hit with the fans, but very possible a huge boxoffice flop. You WILL have to be openminded with this movie, otherwise you'll just be disappointed.

And not seeing this movie? Come on, it's a live action movie. Which TF fan is honestly NOT going to see it? :p 

3. Angelophile1

Angelophile1 Mutant Monkeyboy

Kinda a mixture of both. The Autobots - Prime, Ratchet, Ironhide, Jazz and Bumblebee - are all based on the original characters. There's gonna be a number of differences though (Ironhide's a pickup, Bumblebee's a Camaro etc).

The Decepticons are still kinda up in the air. Megatron and Starscream are definitely in there. Starscream is an F22 Raptor.

The fact is no one really knows how closely the designs will resemble their G1 counterparts. Rumors suggest the Autobots will be close, but the Decepticons may not be. But until concept sketches emerge, we won't know. There are no leaked concepts out there yet, they've only been seen by a couple of people.

So, the Autobots seem to be based pretty closely on the original characters. The Decepticons may, or may not be, entirely new. We don't know because Bay recently announced that the names that have been revealed for the Decepticons could be placeholders.

4. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

We have the spikey Starscream with animal hind legs.

We have the mute Bumblebee/Camaro that talks by playing songs on the radio.

We have Boomboxatron (who gets decapitated twice and is comic relief)

Those are all rumors though. You'll have to wait till the movie to judge for yourself. Thats free sage advice right there.

Judging from this one post you've written and what I know of the style of this movie, I don't think you will be in for a good time. If the Constructicon's color changes irritated you, the Starscream animal might make you go postal.

I wish the movie producers had chosen either to stick to the original designs or do a complete departure. This half and half type crap is what is really holding back this film. They're like "this part of the film or this character will be true to the original while this won't". Thats whats going to hold this movie back. Like Miyagi said "walk one side of road - safe, walk other side of road - safe, walk in middle - quish - just like grape."

I honestly would LOVE a new movie that isn't encumbered by the old series. Have completely new characters, new designs, the whole schpeel. Make new leaders with new names. Heck, even give the groups different names, maybe have 3 competing groups with a4th that lurks in the shadows. The possibilities are endless.

Make us develop emotional attachments to a totally new take on TFs. This trying to tie it back to the old series is what is causing all the problems. Because then you mess with the emotional attachments and sensibilites that already exist. By doing this half and half, they are limiting themselves by not making a truly original film nor a film that truly commemorates the old series. Instead they do both sides poorly.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Welcome aboard.

You have a lot of catching up to do, namely and post with the term GEENWUNERS.

There are many people who hold the same view point as you and by all means it is your prerogative to like what you want, but if you only like Gen 1 and will only accept gen 1 things you will be disappointed in the movie and all the other toys, because gen1 is over. My advice check out some of the other new series.
    Beast Wars had a lot to do with Gen1.
    Beast Machines had some decent toys and good characters, my fav Jetstorm.
    Robots in Disguise had some of the best toys going.
    Armada- not the greatest series but had its high points Uni-frigging-cron
    Energon- Again some good, some bad
    Cybertron- likely the most well rounded since BW, good toys, decent storyline.

My point is that Gen1 is never coming back, so as fan of transformers you may as well try other transformers.

6. Angelophile1

Angelophile1 Mutant Monkeyboy

Apart from in the CLASSICS range in a couple of months. ;) 

7. buckmana

buckmana Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought as much. Just needed it to be confirmed.

I don't really like to waste money on movies just on "what-if-it's-good" principles. I did that too much in the past and that was money I could have better spent.

So, one more film I don't have to bother seeing.

As for toys, I only buy re-issues of the/and secondhand original toys.

I guess what really irritates me is that they're slapping old names on new toys.

I could live it down better if they gave them completely original names (and designs).

It's like they're trying to con old fans into buying new toys.

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I wouldn't exactly call Classics G1. As has been stated in another thread... Classics Prime could be a new body for Cybertron Prime and no one would be any the wiser based on the designs.

9. SAJse

SAJse Well-Known Member

There's also that IDW reboot thingy aswell....

10. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Heh, they'll keep bringing G1 back as long as we keep buying it.

The classics line (apart from the megs pic I saw....which I did not at all like) seems to be shaping up pretty well. Love astrotrain and prime....cant WAIT for a retooled grimlock :rock 

My guess is the transformers in the movie are going to be more transtech in their robot appearances than other transformer lines. Especially the decepticons.

11. TOM

TOM From one hood to Yours

Ebay:
    Im not!

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    You say that now, but the way you are turning the kids in your sig into transfans, you'll end up taking them to see it. ;) 

13. brabman

brabman Member

I'm new to this Forum, but am relatively educated on Primarily G1 and what the rumor mill is saying about the upcomming movie. Would I be idiotic to say that the Transformers at least the Autobots for this movie may be much like the Alternator line of Toys. They are the most true to form vehicles and the heads of the G1 namesakes look much the same as they did originally. I like this new line of toys primarily because, I like G1/seasons 1 and 2 due to the fact that the alt modes looked like earth vehicles and equipment. I couldn't get into Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Armada. etc, because things looked to futuristic.

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    That used to bug me to, but they reuse the old names so they don't lose the rights to them. They lost "Hot Rod", "Bluestreak" and until recently, Bumblebee and Shockwave and came close to losing Megatron if I remember correctly. So yeah, in every series there will be an Optimus Prime and Megatron will always be upgraded to Galvatron, and there will be staples such as Starscream, Prowl and the like just so they don't lose the rights to use them. It doesn't bug me much anymore, plus I have fun renaming all my Transformers that has a reused name!

15. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yeah, it kind of bothered me rehashing the old names each time, but it is a small price to pay for keeping them. Try to keep the likeness atleast.

16. Throwback

Throwback Well-Known Member

be it transforms, mission impossible, independence dayn, or even titanic, the key to making a movie truly successful is the plot. Action is great, one liners cool, but give me a story i can really get into, some compelling charactors, a human dilemma and i guarantee you any movie will be worth watching. i hope Desanto and the guys don't get too caught up in special effects and blowning stuff up that they forget to concentrate on the apologetics that make transformers great. I'd much rather a memorable movie like the 1st matrix than a shoot em' up action flick like the MI franchise.

make me fear Megatron. make me loath Starscream, admire Optimus Prime, and cheer for the human spirit. Don't just blow a bunch of crap up.

17. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

I'll probably go see it just for fun, but don't expect me to buy any toys hasbro! *shakes fist*

18. Knightwing13

Knightwing13 Member

I feel that the toys and the movie will be great. if you think about it, this is something that most of us as trans.fans have been waiting for for a very long time. I think that we all need to understand that this movie is a step forward. for the last ten years or so there has been nothing really transformers related comming out of the U.S., accept comic books. this is the first really big thing. So suck it up and take it with a grain of salt.

19. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Beast Wars won quite a few awards for its animation, and it thrust Transformers back into the picture. Armada placed the Transformers brand in 2nd and 3rd place amongst the most popular action figures for kids today. Energon and Cybertron continue that trend. Alternators have collectors and kids foaming at the mouth. The comics, while cool, has been such a small peice of the brand. The movie is a step foward, but Transformers have hardly been in hiding for the past 10 years.

20. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    From what the rumors say, they combine the Alternator and Citroën C4 aesthatics, so expect to see alot of real car parts.