What type of collector are you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exclusacon, Sep 27, 2010.

1. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I ask this becuz everyone have different taste. I,myself would like to called myself a selective collector ( really just a cheap bastard)...I see people just get everything, to only primes, to just decepticons, to just KOs....

So what type are you?

2. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm a straight shootin' Neo-G1 Autobot collector. I used to be an Autobot completionist, but that ship has sailed and now my collection mainly comprises badass G1 representative figures.

3. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I usually just buy whatever I think looks cool & I find affordable for me.

4. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    x2 on this. My tastes will change too. For example, after reading the lastest Drift comic book I was interested in the character so I bought the newest toy at Target. Otherwise, I just get ones that interest me either as cool molds or just characters I like.

I'm sure I would buy more and use any tiny interest to make an excuse to buy it. But as of now its just a very select few.

5. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll buy pretty much anything I like the look of & can afford! I have to be quite economical now with Botcon & a wedding to save up for. My days of being completionist with any particular line (as I attempted with the first movie, Animated & Universe) are long behind me. Moreso in the case of the Movie when I realised I'd brought a lot of crap toys (Payload, Recon Barricade, etc) in the name of completionism.

6. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    The sporadic mass retail buying kind with a hint of being actually ignorant to what is out there - but I still enjoy myself with it all.

7. exclusacon

News Credits:
    I tried too be a completeist too, same thing a lot of regrets buys...so I just try to get the cool ones....the thing about movie one payload, there is a purpose him now, in tf3...

8. DreadwindsGhost

DreadwindsGhost Micro Mad

As others have said, I just tend to buy things that I know I'll like and anything else that interests me. Because I collect more than just Transformers, it's really the only way to go.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Basically this. Most of my collection revolves around the Classics - Generations stuff. But, that's not all it is. I also buy stuff if I can fit it in with the Classics, or if I think it looks creative (like HTFD Brimstone or Hailstorm), and I'm a big fan of Botcon sets.

10. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    I used to get a bit of everything (assuming I liked it). Now, I have 3 focuses. As show accurate as possible Beast Wars, show characters for neo-G1(ie CHUG), and Masterpiece. For the latter two, I'm not a completist for the lines - just whatever figs provide me the best update. Third party, device label, etc offer better alternatives sometimes too. I'm also filling in some gaps with customs. Tis an expensive time

11. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I used to be a diehard completionist/borderline hoarder until I realized a couple of things. First of all, 75% of my collection was in a remote storage and second of all, I disliked most of the repaints that were coming out.

I went to an extreme toy purge, sold the vast majority of my collection and am now starting a new, smaller, more selective collection. Currently focusing on G1 (reissues or vintage), Alternators/Binaltech, Masterpiece and CHUG. Once done with those, I may venture in Alternity, Music/Device Label. One thing is sure though, I am done with beast/instect alt modes.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm still there man.

One figure short of completing Animated (Cybertron Mode Ratchet), several short of completing both movie lines but not a million miles off.

However...

Due to extreme lack of room and soon money, I am aiming to do something I have been meaning to do for a long time, and that is purge my collection of a lot of the non-screen characters from both movies. I will hang on to figures like Lockdown and Bludgeon, Mindwipe etc, but as you say mate, some of the peripheral toys are pointless and I will never even look at them much less play with them/display them, so really I should sell them. Problem is I know I won't get a lot for them.

I mean, I have 68 different figures from the first movie and 90 from ROTF. Nobody needs that surely?

At the moment I'm seeling off some of my larger boxed G1s to make space, but I suspect a huge chunk of the movie toys may not be far behind...

13. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

I basically try to get at least one figure from each line so that my collection has as much variety to it as possible. I'll also get anything if it's cheap or if I just really like it and feel it would be a good addition to my collection (which actually applies to almost everything now...)

I usually only avoid the figures that are way too big or way too expensive...

14. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am EXTREMELY selective. Damn price jumps caused me to get only what I really want once in a while.

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

What type of a collector am I?

Best way to describe what kind of a collector that I am is that I'm very selective as to what toys from what toy lines I want to buy, and therefore I'm not seeking to be one of those collectors who have completely every single toy ever made.

16. exclusacon

News Credits:
    Yea but lil money is better than no money...

17. exclusacon

News Credits:
    I commend you for this...I had a lot impulse buys....I think when there is drought you get excited that they're new figures out...

18. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I collect show characters from American TV/films and all G1 inspired Tfs.

Even with the limits it still adds up to a lot of Tfs.

But it is the Plastic Crack that I love so I never complain.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

19. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I get all CHUG figures. I was also an AEC collector, but we get very few AEC figures now, so I put the PCC's with them.

Other than that, I'll get other toys that really interest me (Tomahawk, Terradive, Hailstorm) or ones that look they'll go well with my CHUG figures.

20. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Eh... A poor collector?