What Transformer Buyer Are You?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by konrathink, Feb 24, 2011.

1. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

Are you the buyer that as soon as it shows up on BBTS or HTS you're buying it for the full $14.99? And paying shipping on top of that.

Or are you the shopper that will check a few stores over a three week period looking for the $11.99 or $9.99 figure? Probably wasting that extra $3 on gas that you could have paid to the online store of your choice and gotten the figure sooner? Spending a few hours here or there popping in at a store.

Oddly enough I'm the brick and mortar store guy who ends up wasting quite a bit of time popping in at this store or that store. I'm getting closer to forking over the extra money and get the figure right away than wasting time and spending the extra money on gas anyway.

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I just go to the toy aisle whenever I'm getting groceries or at the mall, whatever opportunity comes up. I limit my online purchases to toys that I can't get at American retail.

3. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

I get my pre orders in, and then will search when I'm near stores to find the stuff I pre ordered.

That way if I find a figure, I get it for cheaper than I'd pay on BBTS, and if I don't I still have it online.

Best of both worlds.

4. ZacharyBinx

ZacharyBinx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was the brick and mortar guy. I like going out and toy shopping, but seeing as how gas shot up 30 cents a gallon overnight and I drive and SUV, online is honestly cheaper....

... and much more convenient. With RTS 2 and the new Generations figures only hitting Targets (the nearest one is a 2 hour drive), clicking preorder, POLing my stuff, and paying the extra $3 per figure and $10 shippings do sound better than $45 in gas + the cost of the toys.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I lived in Atlanta, had more free time, could ride my bike year-round, there were more stores in my area with TFs and the distribution was generally better, I did the overwhelming majority of my shopping at brick-and-mortar stores. I wasn't paying for gas riding my bike, I got a work-out and I generally found everything I needed.

Here in Pittsburgh, I don't have as much free time, can't ride my bike all year, the stores with TFs are fewer and further between and the distribution flat-out sucks. It just isn't worth my time and effort to bother with hunting in this area, so I order pretty much everything online now. The slight extra cost is worth it in the long run, since I know I'll actually find stuff. It's also had the added benefit of significantly reducing my impulse buying, since I'm not tempted to get some repaint or whatever that I don't need, solely to justify the time I spent hunting.

6. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Given the car I drive has a pretty great Gas Mileage, and all of the stores I frequent are on the main road I take to get to most of the places I need to get to, I normally check by if I've got some spare time depending on how long ago the last time I checked em were. Typically once or twice a week.

7. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I have recently converted to online shopping. I still do some brick and mortar runs as well, but they are occuring much less frequently now.

8. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    For me it depends, it's all of matter of popularity and hard to find items. I normally tend to stick to driving to the store but eventually get tired of it and shop online. If it's a must have then yes I'll buy immediately when released.

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I live in such as a great area that I don't do any serious driving. I have a TRU, Wally World, and Target within minutes of each other and just a little less than 5 minutes from my home. If I drive an extra 5 minutes there's even more stores, so I typically buy all my stuff at retail. I haven't bought a figure online in years that I couldn't find on the shelves.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Mostly it depends on how hard I think it'll be to find, the case assortment breakdown. Shortpacked shit I'll get online, just to be sure.

11. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Usually I can't find things when I have the money for them, and when I don't have the money for them, I find what I want.
    If I want it, I can afford it when I see it, I'll grab it. Simple as that.

12. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I just got sick of the hunt, from here to DOTM, a majority of my purchases will be online. I wish I had decided this before Voyager Grapple was sold out on BBTS, and I still refuse to pay $18.99 for Scout Windcharger (hope I don't regret that one), but as long as the price is close, in addition to the POL option, online is the way to go.

13. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Cheap and patience...but yet these last few waves before the movie, plus gas. I decided to go the online route...

14. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Both. For many things i'm a brick-and-mortar store. Much of Reveal the Shield I have gotten in stores. I'm ALSO a online buyer. It honestly depends on what I'm buying. I've got the case with Wheeljack and Thundercracker on pre-order 'cuz I'm not confident in seeing them in stores.

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i used to like the hunt when i lived in a different city that had stores, now there is one store in the city with maybe three pegs of tfs all packed with rotf sideways (tuner mudflap never even had a chance to get on them) so i've gone online for everything and at 18.22 with tax for a deluxe here, ordering a case with shipping works out to less (120 shipped from bbts and 145 from retail), still saving money in the end and not having to worry about finding them

16. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In times when the line I want is available in plenty, main lines mostly, I'll hunt around for the best deal. Main line figures will always be able to be found at retail if your patient enough. With the most recent couple waves of RTS and Generations, I'm going with BBTS. I have a huge POL coming in March and it'll be much better than searching all around for these guys which may never come because DotM is just around the corner.

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have time or energy to deliberately hunt. I'll check when I'm in stores for another reason, or if I happen to be in the area.

It's a judgment call. If I gotta have it, I'll get it online, usually from BBTS. I decided that I was willing to risk missing out on Windcharger and Warpath rather than get slammed on price due to their weird distribution. (I might as well try on the secondary market on the chance that I get screwed out of them completely.) Ditto Grapple, he's "nice but not necessary."

With Generations, since I want whole waves, I'll just order them and the price is fine, even with shipping.

18. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

I'm too poor for a car, so I take the bus for free with my university ID. I occasionally buy online when it's a figure I reaaaally want, but usually wait for it to come out in stores. I check the stores on my way home from school, when/if I have the money.

19. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Depends on the toys. I love the Classicsverse toys. I will preorder the case at BBTS if need be and spend my leisure time picking up an extra here and there. Other toys that are on the not really want to have list, I will pick up when I see it. No need to waste that gas hunting for them.

20. AMG

AMG Old School

It's a mix for me, I buy TFs out in stores and online. But mostly online.

I've never pre ordered a toy though.