What toy lines are really worth collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lazerous8506, Oct 9, 2008.

1. lazerous8506

lazerous8506 Seacon

Im a G1 collector through and through collecting mainly upto 1988 tfs and masterpieces.

i want to start collecting a few other lines but im not sure what to go for. ive looked at animated stuff and that a no for me as im too into my G1 design/look/characters.
    i was just wondering if anyone else had the same thought and what they tend to go for.
    ive looked at the Henkai line and that looks pretty cool but still not sure as im in the uk so most if not all of my purchases will have a sizeable chunk of postage to be paid on them.

any thoughts?

2. jamiebrayley

jamiebrayley Well-Known Member

I am also thinking the same. I would love to be able to collect a line that could be got "off the shelf" so to speak but some of the lines seem to lack the transformers "character". perhaps I am getting too old.........lol. I am in the UK also and sick of paying import duty............grrrr

3. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    one word

HENKEI

4. swampflight

swampflight Banned

And Now for Something Completly Different...

Howabout Beast Wars?Or maybe a little further back like Diaclone or Robo-Machine?Knock-offs are also good becuse sometimes you can get the figure you want without paying a small fortune.Hope this helps!

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Universe, and try and pick up the Classics stuff as well.

6. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Beast wars is awesome.

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Classics/Universe/Henkei certainly do a fine job of bringing us G1 characters with a modern style and playability. And if you want new characters that fit in well with the style, then a good deal of the Cybertron line works well side-by-side with them.

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    If your into G1 Alternators/Binaltech and Classics/Universe/Henkei are musts if your looking into lines that carry the G1 torch.

Cybertron/Galaxy Force would be the other line I would also take a good hard look at. It's a personal favorite of mine and has some of the best molds out of most of the recent TF lines and in my opinion is a good and worthy follow up to the G1 style.

9. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Classics/Universe/Henkei is such a great line. Really,the only let-down was Galvatron. The rest are totally worth it.

10. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Classics, Universe/Classics 2.0, Henkei, Animated, and RiD. RiD is a pretty fun toy series, though I couldn't get them because my parents had a tight budget when it came out before.

11. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

ARMADA!!!n *slapped*

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transformers. :D 

Seriously though, Alternators/Binaltech/Alternity are the pinnacle of Transformers design and engineering. If you were going to focus on one line, I'd recommend those.

13. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    alts/bw/mp/classics/movie all have great complexity/appearance/posability

14. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Well there aren't that many choices if you want to buy off the shelf. If you haven't been buying Classics and Universe for the last cpl years, you've really already missed a big portion, but its never to late to start.

As for older lines, RiD would be a good choice.

15. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I've really taken a shine to the Cybertron line. That's the line I intend to complete next.

16. lazerous8506

lazerous8506 Seacon

good god man you are reading my mind! thats exactly it! (plus the getting too old for this thing too!)

Got my eye on an omegatron and i have been getting KO's and repaints such as ruinations and bruticus 2000. got a construction team giftset (chinese devastator) the other day which was great cos 2 out of six of the smaller robots guns didnt even fit in their hands!

would love diaclone but then you are talking big money, i could never complete it! or i could but it would be a fortune. diaclone swoop, jeez ud think he was made ot of solid platinum

17. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Definately Rid, Beast Wars and Classics, I would recomend the movie line for the importance it has.

18. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depending on what you like, but I'd echo the "RID rocks" comments, and Henkei & the Movie line would probably be my top picks.

But, in terms of picking stuff "off the shelf" now you've kind of got a choice of Animated or Universe. Go Universe, but be selective (i.e. you're a G1 fan, so go for the G1 character updates - Prowl, Sunstreaker, Ironhide and the like).

19. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Alternators that have a likeness to thier G1 original forms are like Masterpiece figures and fit in well with the Masterpiece line. Some of the best are Tracks, Hound, Silverstreak,& Jazz for G1 likeness. Mirage/Rodimus is the best mold in my opinion. They have gotten a lot cheaper lately on the secondary market as well.

20. BHB

BHB Well-Known Member

I only collect Animated and Movie at the moment, though I am looking to get Beast Wars Optimus Primal and Megatron.