What toy got you back into collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    Takara's TFC Jazz. When I saw that in a comic store I knew I had to get the whole set.

2. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

Dunno about back into, but what got me into it in the first place was RiD Prime.

3. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

Movie Barricade and 08 Bumblebee pretty quickly got about 100 friends.

*sigh*

TF's are addicting.

4. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a neat topic. For me it was some of the classic deluxes. For kicks I ordered grimlock for myself and mirage for a friend and we split the ult battle two pack. I was still off for a bit after that. Then I was given BB as a gift so I ordered Mirage, Astrotrain and movie jazz and brawl. That got me into movie toys which got me back into everything else. I missed the last bit of BM through the VERY end of classics.

5. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

I last left off with G1 perceptor. That is until last summer, where Movie Barricade and Bumblebee "sparked' my interest to collect again. Man I sure missed out on a lot of years.

6. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

Before I picked up Movie Jazz and Movie Wreckage, I only had a BW Terrorsaur, and didn't even care about Transformers...so I would have to say it's Jazz.

7. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Not really the toys per se. I saw Beast Wars the show, but I didn't really like it so much as it just wasn't Transformers to me because I was always used to and interested in the vehiculars and all the elements of the original Transformers. So I researched online how I could get the original series on video tape and got all the episodes. I never really cared any for the Beast Wars toys or any of that, so I just kept watching the tapes of the original show. I wished for traditional cel animation (I never liked the CGI) and the vehiculars back again and some of the original Transformers, and if there had been any toys of that out at the time I would have totally bought them. But there wasn't.

So I got out of that and carried on with life.

Then one day out of the blue I logged on to what this website used to be (transfandom) and from lurking discovered 3 key things that got me back into it.

1.That Transformers were back and there was a new series that had been running that year, that used the Vehicular Transformers and the tradition animation that I so coveted. (RiD)
    2.There were toys of them.
    3.They were actually making reissues of the original toys!

So to be strait and answer the OP question, I clicked a link and saw a picture of the G1 Ultra Magnus toy and discovered it was on sale at Toys R Us. An actual retail store! In this decade! I was flabbergasted and it was like my dream of going back in time became half true. Then I found out that "the one" that I always wanted when I was a kid (and never got) had also been reissued (Hot Rod). And so was Optimus Prime (My actual first TF).

So from there the flood gates opened. It was a picture of the Commemorative Series Ultra Magnus original G1 reissue and a sale listing at the Toys R Us website (thanks to the news here for pointing me to it :D  ) that got me back into it. That and the fact Hot Rod had been reissued and I had always wanted him. (Although I missed AGAIN him by that point and had to get him off ebay.)

But my first TF that I bought since I got back into collection in all honesty was RiD Megatron (who still sits MISB). And RiD Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, and Sideburn. (All either MISB or MIB).

And getting Optimus Prime again and seeing Ultra Magnus there too really got me back.

Though I honestly would credit the RiD show more so than any toy for getting me back into the thick of Transformers in general.

8. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Masterpiece Prime & Dreamwave's G1 comics got me to pay attention again.

Autobot Alternators got me actively interested again.

Classics got me back into collecting again.

9. krysuk

krysuk Well-Known Member

November 2006 I walked into Toys r Us...

Saw 20th Anniversary Prime and Leader Cybertron Prime
    Bought them both on instinct...

got them home and 20th Anniversary Prime... kind of fell to pieces during the transformation, was so disappointed they had made such a poor quality Prime I took him back and swapped him for Leader Cybertron Megatron

Loved them both...

few months later managed to secure Supreme Cybertron Starscream

Then the final kick start was MP Megatron...

its been downhill since then - Christmas is bringing the missing MP-02 and MP-07 to complete the Masterpiece Line as well as the City Commander Set

Funnily enough I never had the same QC issues with MP-04 I had with 20th Prime

Bought most of Classics 1.0

95% of Animated plus a few others from other lines - including a MINT reissue Predaking

Added into the whole collection from childhood that is still in storage at the parents

Need to put some of what I have now in storage to downsize a little and refocus - Animated seems to have consumed me now!

10. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ditto. After years and years of no interest (and other priorities) I ordered a Classics Rodimus and Starscream off of Amazon... Those really got me warmed up but when I picked up Optimus is was over.
    Funny how things come full circle... G1 Optimus hooked me on this game when I was five years old.

11. Lion

Lion Aloha

Ebay:
    If you were thinking about quitting or quit collecting....

Was there a particular figure that sucked you back in???

For me, it was G1 Devastator...I know it's old school, but I saw it at a antique store that sold toys, about 5 minutes later (after paying for it) I was collecting again....

If not Devs, it woulda been Alt Dead End...

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I've been collecting TFs since December 2006, and I haven't really quit collecting... it's just a matter of having $$$ to go out and buy 'em.

However, my brother has more or less stopped collecting TFs since probably before Beast Wars came out. He got back into collecting when he saw the Classics. He's G1 all the way.

13. luke4

luke4 crocon

i got back after seeing i missed toys like engeron shockwave, altenators, and anything thing else i liked. even though it was the unicron triloigy that got me out of collecting i like some the toys from the series. i am very happy i got back into it b/c of transformers animated

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    For me there were two:

Beast Wars Magnaboss / Beast Wars Ultra Primal. The first got my attention and made me look into the line. The second seemed fun enough online to justify picking up.

Later on there was a stage when I wasn't as enthusiastic about the line. I was at university at the time and the toys were all at home which did not help. I was thinking of cutting back the collection at that point more than stopping, since I was still enjoying the shows and the online fandom. Then I got Galaxy Force Fang Wolf, completely reignited my love of the whole Cybertron series. Just in time too, since a whole bunch of my favourite toys of that line were coming in the months following, I'd have missed out if I had stopped there.

Never looked back since, though rarely now I still think maybe I should cut back.

15. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Classics Starscream. Completely out of Transformers since I was a kid and then BAM! I saw it and instantly became a collector again. Classics/Universe is such an awesome line.

16. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Same here... exactly! At 5 years old I can credit a friend for introducing me to Optimus Prime, the toy and the character, and from there I was a fan of Transformers.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    There isn't a toy that got me back into collecting; I never got out of it. In the time between G2 and BW, I was still buying G1/G2 stuff at car boot sales.

18. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics Optimus Prime and Megatron

19. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

Optimal Optimus

20. mulanzo

mulanzo Dinobot

my cousin had the Beast Wars Optimus Primal and Megatron and I convinced him to let me borrow them for a few months but it rekindled my love for TFs. This was like 10 years ago. I never bought any after that until I saw MP Optimus and Starscream and then I took the plunge. Got me an MP Optimus arriving next week, bought a Takara Starscream 2 days ago at the comic shop and I pre-ordered Grimlock, my fav (of which I never bought the toy as a kid). Now that I think about it, I have all the original constructicons in my garage, parts of Bruticus, Optimus headmaster and Cyclonus, and I think I have that huge Scorpion base with the moving legs. Ahh the good ole days. Here's hoping for MP Soundwave and MP Constructicons.