What to get?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MetaBeshter, Feb 15, 2010.

1. MetaBeshter

MetaBeshter Well-Known Member

Okay, so I'm gonna start driving soon...Legally anyways, and my father says that by my birthday in October I may be able to get a car.

I have one problem though, for sure I want a Camaro, I just don't know which one, I've already narrowed my selection down to either a '76 Second Generation or a '10 Fifth Generation.

Now, if I choose to go with the old one he says we'll go all out on it, ie. new engine, paint job, etc. But that kind of seems like a hassle to me, then again, how many people in Miami can say they drive a Second Gen?

The only reasons I'd want a Fifth Gen is 1, cause it looks totally kickass, and 2 'cause it would just be a straight up drive, but then we will probably have to finance it for a bit.

This is just killing me so, if given the chance, which would you guys go for?

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    A 16-18 yo with a Camaro = BAD COMBO

3. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

Everyone's first car should be a beater.

4. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    you don't necessarily have to get a beater. however I do suggest that you get something that's efficient, and cheap. Take into account things that can save you money as well. how many people will ride in the car? if it's not but you and another person, I say get a 2 door, not a compact. also, try to get something that's reasonable when it comes to fuel. Lastly, consider things that will make your insurance cheaper. For instance, don't get yellow or bright red. the less sporty looking, the better. considering your age is already a factor in car insurance premiums, the less things they can charge you for the better.

Try your best to save as much as you can, that way you can afford that camaro, or that hummer h2, or whatever you may drive in the future.

5. OptimusSpanks

OptimusSpanks Well-Known Member

I agree on both of these replies. Young kids should not be allowed to drive anything with rear wheel drive and a big engine and their first car should be a beater. A beater isn't necessarily what you see on movies and tv where it breaks down every 10 miles but something older made in the late 80's early 90's like a Toyota or Honda. Those are both great car companies with good starting cars. Great on fuel and you can beat the snot out of them and they'll keep working for you. Plus it'll be something you can wrench on and learn a bit about cars so your not sinking money into labor costs at shops to change your oil or flush your cooling system. Any more car questions feel free to shoot me a pm or discuss it in here.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Watch the speed through the neighborhoods, or I'll throw rocks at your car

7. kraven

kraven Decepticon

I couldn't tell you because I don't know anything about cars. I just wanted to pop in to say how cool it is that you Dad is buying you a car! I had to walk my ass to work everyday to a p.o.s. local fast food joint until I had the money for my first beater. I mean car.

8. Deathbringer

Deathbringer Banned

He should get a Mustang..C C C C COMBO BREAKER!

Nah.. In all seriousness, OP should gets a lil beater.

9. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe OP's dad will drive him through a Porsche lot, and then head over to a trashy car lot right next door.

10. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Get a Volkswagen tdi. They are the most efficient cars on the market. They are fast and doesn't take much to upgrade, and they can easily take 400000 kms if you do proper maintenance. Also they look f'n sweet.

11. MetaBeshter

MetaBeshter Well-Known Member

I love how you pointed out Toyota out of all the others as "A great car company" XD

And to the one who suggested a Mustang, that's laughable. Personally I don't like Mustangs, or Porsche's or Corvette's for that matter.

To those who think I'll be racing all over the place. I don't, actually, I hate racing. That's why I suggested that I should get the cheapest new Camaro at first seeing as how A) racing isn't my thing and B) it's cheaper. But then he was like "Well you're gonna be paying monthly eather way so why not get the best one?" It's gotten to a point where if I'm gonna get a new one it HAS to be SS2.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Jeez kid, you must have some loaded parents to get a camaro as your first car. The insurance is going to be most unfortunate.

Seriously, get a cheap, reliable car instead. Its something of a rite of passage for new drivers. Teaches you to take care of your car, financially forgiving in case of mistakes, and helps you settle into good habits (hopefully).

Also, I would highly recommend against the new camaro for a new driver, since the visibility is terrible.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  13. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:

Geez, I'm 35 and I'm only shooting for the 2LT trim.

This was my first car (the model, not this particular one):
    [​IMG]

I was 16 and living in Southern California. Three guesses where I lost my virginity...

14. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    there is a 16 year old girl at my school who's first car is a 2010 camaro *facepalm*

it is like the parents are trying to tell her, "Hey, go kill yourself"

dude i know for a fact my first car will be a beater, hell i'll be the one paying for it, there is no way i would trust my driving skills behind the wheel of a nice fast sports car like a 2010 camaro.....if i got one it would be the basic model anyways, no way i am going for the big one

i also believe every kid should start off with a manual transmission (no kid should be allowed a liscense with out learning to properly drive one at least)

15. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

This is exactly why I said everyone's first car should be a beater. My first car was an '85 Oldsmobile Cutlass and it was awesome. I was like the OP though, I had my heart set on a new Firebird. So when I was 18 I used college money to buy a new '99 Trans Am. Car payment was $350 a month, insurance was $375, gas was ridiculous. Not worth it. I only had it a year before I sold it. Chalked up 6 speeding tickets that year as well as destroyed the transmission. <--Not the best car to learn to drive stick with.:dunce 

Also I find it impossible to believe that a teenager who wants a new Camaro doesn't like to race. Even if you truly don't, you will once you get behind the wheel. Think about it. What's the point of having a car with that much potential and not using it. Methinks you WILL use the potential, which is something a new driver doesn't need to do.

Friend's parents bed? Bathroom at IHOP? Back seat of a Camaro?

16. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i got a little thing to comment on this part, i was at a dealership with my parents just looking at one, and i got to ride it, the dealership worker who drove me and my lil bro around the block himself said he couldn't own one because he would get in so much trouble from speeding.....if a man in his 30-40's would have problems of holding back, there is no way a kid will hold back

17. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Then why would you get a sports type car?

Even a "cheap" Camaro is gonna cost 25,000+.

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How can you have opinions about makes of cars if you've never driven them? That's absurd.

19. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Like everybody said - get a cheap, reliable car. Having a V6-V8 car for a first car is a one way ticket to hell. And the thing is, you will not make only your family miserable, you will probably take other people with you on the road to "afterlife". Be smart, buy a beat-up car for a couple of grands, get some experience in driving, and while your doing that, save money to buy your dream car in a year or two.

20. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Hint:

[​IMG]

Except substitute beach for river....:p