Customs: What to do with tight joints?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ssg4life, Feb 8, 2009.

1. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm working on two customs right now and both have the same problem of tight joints rubbing the paint off. I'm using a Universe Sunstreaker for Armada Wheeljack (don't ask) and Universe Cyclonus for Shattered-verse Cyclonus. Both have varies joints which just immediately take the paint off. In a somewhat futile attempt, I tried to use sandpaper to wear down the joints but that has only met with miniscule success.

Are there any other ways to take care of this? Maybe a specific sandpaper? Or do I need a Dremel or something like that to really grind down some of the plastic to give the joint space?

2. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I would say it's just a case of keep at it. I don't know how well it would work, but you could use a small metal moddeling file maybe - it should speed things up a bit.

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Easyest way would be a dremel, if you dont have one you will just need a coarser sandpaper and some determination.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

These are great for small areas such as rubbing joints. I would continue to work the area you're having problems with. A good way to check if there is still rubbing issues is lay some paint ONLY in the area of trouble. Where the paint pulls off is where you'll need to sand/file down more. Once you lay some paint and the paint doesn't move, you're obviously good to go.

Another option would be some stronger paints and/or primers. I suggest really getting that area with the best primer/paint combo you can get. Also, it's imperative to let that paint really CURE (not dry) which should take a minimum of 24 hours (once it's clean and minimal rubbing)

5. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Shouldn't matter what paint he uses so long as the rubbing is eliminated. No rub=no problem, he could bust out apple barrel paints if thats all he has and it would have no problem.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I've had less problems with better primer/paint combos. Even seeker tail fins I don't have issues with and never sand those. They are tightly jointed and too much of a pain to sand down, With good primer and paint, I can move them freely without paint wear.

7. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    True that a good primer and paint will be a good help for rubbing but it is not the best or easiest way for someone. Even your semi-recent Hound had paint rub on the joints of the pegs that rotate for the arms.

[​IMG]

If you just took a dremel to it(or even shaved it down with a blade) you could have eliminated all rubbing and not had to rely on the paint like you had and from the looks of it, still had trouble. All I am saying is a good prep is always a good solution and I would recommend anyone to sand over buying better materials any day and especially for someone who is pretty much just beginning and might not have the option to buy the best materials such as you or I. Also gotta give advice that anyone can take and use with ease, beginner or "pro".

8. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanks guys. it's too late for the primer option, though. i already painted some of the other parts. i'll probably just try sanding again with a different kind of paper. i've been trying not to buy a dremel for years, but i think i'll have to sooner rather than later

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits: