What to do about "missing" international packages?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Chosen, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

This has probably gone on long enough that I could actually use some help, or even just reassurance.

Three weeks from now will mark the three-month anniversary of a large trade I arranged with fellow member Sector Seven, who lives in Denmark. It was nothing particularly rare, but the total value of the stuff added up to around the area of $70-90 retail, and I was supposed to get MISB Alt Mirage and Rodimus in return (plus some minor junk). He received the package right on schedule about two weeks since it got shipped on my end.

Obviously, the problem is that my stuff never arrived. He cited various trouble getting internet access due to moving, power outages, etc. but kept semi-regular contact until October 5, at which point he hasn't come back. His last PM to me included this: "Awwww crap. I'm putting in a report (I still have this hunch I shouldn't... meaning it's still legit on the way) today after work, bro." Which made me wonder what, if anything, I can do to find out what happened or track it even if there isn't a tracking number (not sure).

Any advice about similar experiences is appreciated. Only thing I really don't need is people going on about all his positive feedback prior to this - that means diddly squat to me when my deal's not complete, and I don't have problems reading.

If this thread isn't in the right section, feel free to punt it where appropriate. I've seen these kinds of threads in multiple places before, so I took a guess.

2. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Well it's really hard to do much with lost packages whether it's international or national. 9/10 out of 10 times all goes flawlessly but there's always one time where it screws up in mail.
    Eventhough I live in Denmark I don't know who Sector Seven is, but I can explain a bit about the mail here.
    Packages can be send as either letter mail or as package. Letter mail allows up to a max of 2kg. With letter mail there is no tracking number supplied, since it's the cheapest way of shipping.
    Sending a package as "Carry on cash" package mail is the most expensive method but allows you to have tracking and insurance on the package. The package tracking number is international so it can be used at any and all mail tracking services.
    A package sent as letter mail can also be labeled as "Recommended", it has tracking number and a bit faster delivery time but is more expensive than "Carry on cash" package mail is.

So what you and he can do is up to which method of shipping is chosen.
    I've done several trades and sales across the ocean and 7-9-13 not package yet have been missing.
    If no tracking number there's really not much you can do about it.

On a personal level if the package doesn't arrive within fair time, both parties should consider a "half damage" agreement (assessment).

3. Prime81

Prime81 Long-time Fan

The only thing I know to do if you don't have a tracking number is to find the original receipt. Depending on how you shipped it (I'm guessing you used USPS), there will sometimes be a Label number for the international package on the receipt that you may be able to use to track it down. Without any insurance or tracking, it could very well be lost in limbo forever. Sorry I couldn't help more, just posted what I know from my experience shipping internationally.

4. SureShot90

Ebay:
    I think he means what he was supposed to recieve, and not what he sent.

5. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

That's correct. If it was the other way around, and he had disappeared anyway, this wouldn't be quite the same issue (but I'd still do something!).

What would be a half-damage assessment, SureShot? Getting back or refunded in some manner half the value of the trade? That'd work great if I had a way to contact him.

6. Prime81

Prime81 Long-time Fan

Sorry, misread part of the original post. I usually always request tracking from sellers/traders. It's general practice for the seller/shipping party to assume full or at least half responsibility for a failed shipment that they don't offer insurance or tracking on.

7. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Yea I was thinking of a partial fair refund since both parts lost something in this.
    If you have some info on him, if could see if i could find out how to get in contact with him for you. I know most TF collectors in DK, but not all :) 

Yea tracking is good, but it's also overly expensive, so if trading it would only be fair if both shipments would be with tracking.

8. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i recieved a package from overseas last week after almost 2 months waiting. In the box was an appology letter for a mail strike, in future/present tense. saying that if this package arrives late, it was due to a mail strike, and a discount code was added for any inconveniance, for future orders. I found it very professional to include such a notice. the post mark on the box matches when i was told it was sent, so they just didn't throw that in there and take their time mailing it.

that COULD be why your stuff is late, depending on where it was going through, it just may have been held up due to a strike in a department along the way.

however, that he is NOT getting back to you, is VERY un sportsman like.

I have indeed had packages lost i sent to other people overseas, and now demand tracking to and from any purchase/sale/ trade i make with over seas buyers. One taiwan seller refused to add the $1.00 insurace fee to my order, after about 7 requests, and him sending invoice after invoice without it, i refused to pay unless i had insurace of somekind. it paid off, in the end, becasue now BLACKGAIN is selling the KO liokaiser kabayas, and i'd rather give HIM my money.

9. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sometimes things just take their darn time in international shipping and sometimes you get completely screwed over by a board member with positive feedback and Paypal doesn't do a thing to help. THANKS POINTBLANK YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE, ENJOY THAT $70 BEFORE YOU DIE IN A FIRE COVERED IN PISS.

10. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Are you still waiting for something from him as well?

I never got a package that I 'bought' off him too. PM me and I'll give you some info that 'might' help (I'm still waiting to hear back on this) Anyway, PM, maybe 2 of us will get things moving more than one or seperate.

*Sorry Chosen, dont mean to de-rail your thread*

11. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I hate shipping things over seas, I sold my cybertron collection to a dude in Australia, and it STILL hasn't shown up. I check the tracking numbers all the time, and every time, it sais "package has left Canada and is enroute to international destition" or something like that..

its been well over 2 months now, and we're not talking a measly $70 or $80 dollars, but $700 dollars, plus $450 shipping the guy forked out for these toys. They BETTER show up.

12. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

No worries, heads aren't going to start rolling for just getting a tiny bit off-track. Yet.

SureShot90 is actually providing some help, for what it's worth, but I'm not expecting much. In the meantime... the wait continues.

I'm willing to be more forgiving about this, seeing as I generally have never had a bad trading experience that resulted in me getting ripped off. Have I overpaid for stuff? Who hasn't? Little bumps and delays along the way, I fix it or make it up. And even in the worst cases, I get bailed out (PayPal) and suffer no real loss but time and energy. I've had one or two mail scares shipping stuff out to Canada (and incidentally, nowhere else, even as I've shipped to Europe, Japan, and Australia) that still worked out in the end. So this is a first, and I hope that it does get resolved or one day some dinged-up box from Denmark finally makes it here.

13. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not getting in touch in unacceptable. Everyone can go to the library and log on for free.

14. Devvi

Devvi Member

I once had to wait 14 months for something to arrive from overseas, it was quite a surprise when the package finally arrived :rolleyes2 

D.

15. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    14 months? Geezus, what'd they put it in a bottle and let it float to you?

After readin' all this I don't think I'm gonna do any international deals (with the exception of Canada). And boy am I glad I ended up not buying that stuff from Pointblank, sorry to hear about everyone's bad experiances.

16. Devvi

Devvi Member

Funny what people come up with as excuses. Power outages, floodings, crashed hard drives, my dog ate my laptop... Total BS. He's screwing you over. Trading through the internet is based on trust and this guy doesn't sound like he's trying very hard to make this trade work.

I got screwed once or twice like that unfortunately. One thing I've learned is to check references more carefully. If someone points me to a eBay feedback page for example, I use the "contact member" option to see if that feedback actually belongs to the person I'm talking to.

Hope you still get your items though.

D.

17. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I did a deal with Grendel. I bought SKylynx and 2 Monsterbots , hade it sent priority that is TRACKABLE online to Sweden. Swedish post office lost it. They cant do anything because the sender needs to do the reclamination, US post office says it is in Sweden and wont do anything, Swedish post office says the same thing.

I guess that one is just lost. Funny thing is , it wasne t just grendels box, it was the same time a box from ebay to.

18. SureShot90

Ebay:
    I'm sorry to hear that, because the majority of packages do arrive. A package from UK to Denmark got lost in mail and I never saw that package, and since UK and Denmark practically are neighbouring countries distance doesn't mean much. The ebay seller in this case was so kind to give full refund even if he didn't had to because it was just shipped as ordinary mail without tracking.

I think it's sad people not willing to sell/trade internationally because everytime you send a letter or a package you take a risk! and that goes within national borders too. Many packages and letters "some how" dissappear when shipped national, and fact is that some times employees with "long fingers" take interesting shipments themselves. Other times it's pure logistic messing up and the package is going some where else than intended or it's sitting at some distant corner none notices before after several weeks/months etc.
    So yes the risk is always there eventhough if you're just sending a package to a friend in the next town or somebody across the globe.

I know when I ask for a package to be sent without tracking etc, I take a chance and I 100% understand what that means. I can't complain if the packages doesn't arrive - it's late or lost. However I can/will sometimes demand proof of shipping just so that I know it was actually shipped.

I can only tell from my own experience and in the past 12 years I've been trading and selling TF's across the globe I never had a package missing, it might have arrived very late. One package from USA was shipped in april but arrived in september, but that didn't keep me from doing business across the sea.
    The only package I lost was the forementioned shipment from UK which was a MIB Robotech Veritech Hovertank, but some people do have moral and politeness enough to help you out even if you legally may not be entitled for compensations.... not international sellers are "pricks" :) 

Chosen. I'm trying to track down IP and email address from the addresses given, however there's a lot of people with that name, do you know if he has a middle name ? that could perhaps narrow my search a bit.

19. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh yeah guys please don't stop posting internationally. It's a real pain for us international fans - lots of items don't get released in our countries and then it's a freaking pain to get hold of them, especially when 50%+ of sales threads won't ship outside North America.

20. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I have to agree, dont diss the int fans here. We have much money to offer :) 

You could have as a rule to always ship trackable. Like me I always send anything except priority mail or ems. I want it to be able to track for me and the seller.

if the buyer wants to have it sent untrackable well then you have to make sure it is on his on fault if the mail gets lost. The selelr shoudl save the reciet to prove it actually was shipped. Then the seller is protected.