What to buy? PS3 or 360?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Batman, May 25, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am finally going to upgrade into the next gen (I already have a Wii but I don't think it counts), but which one do I get? I am leaning towards a PS3 but which one plays video games better and has less problems. So the question is Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?

-I don't have an HDTV and probably won't for a couple years, so its not an issue.
    -My old Xbox still works great so I don't really care about the 360 limited backwards compatibility.
    -I don't give a rats ass about Halo 3.
    -I would play online but probably not enough to really care.
    -Either way GTA4 is going to be my first game.
    -I don't care about hard drive space.

Thanks in advance:) 

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  2. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Given your criteria, I'd probably lean towards the PS3. If you're casual about online play, you're probably gonna want the console with the free online service. I love my 360, but one can't ignore the hardware problems that have plagued it -- where testimonials I've heard equate the PS3 to being 'built like a tank.'

Really though, I would take a good look at the library of games available to both and see which one's appeals to you more.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    This. Go to a game store. Look at the games and get the system that has the most you want to play.

4. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I too, would say to go with the PS3. I've got both, and my 360 is sadly less reliable than my Sega Genesis, and I just like the PS3's setup and XMB much more than the 360's dashboard. I have GTAIV for the PS3, and I had a lot of issues with the game freezing, like many other PS3 users, but Rockstar's patch seemed to fix the problem.

The PS3 gives you the ability to swap out the HDD for any laptop HDD, so even though you don't care much about space now, once you get to installing a couple games (another difference between the consoles), you might eventually have to consider the storage capacity.

But yeah, again, you should really check out both systems' game libraries and features side by side to see which appeals more to you. The 360's definitely got the upper hand in terms of some quality exclusives out there...if you're into RPGs, there's Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey (and to a lesser extent, Blue Dragon). If you enjoy FPS, there's the incredible Bioshock (which coincidentally is coming to the PS3). Also, for the record, I like the 360's controller much more for FPS games, but again, that's a personal preference.

Good luck!

5. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Built like a tank eh? Thanks for your input so far. Both systems have games I like. Playstation generally has more games overall correct? And can it play PS1 and PS2 games? I don't have either of the older Playstations, but I might pick up Transformers Armada and Beast Wars if it does. So now some questions:

Graphics wise, are they the same?
    Which one loads faster?
    Which one has a better, more customer friendly tech support?
    Which one has had less hardware errors?

6. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do you just download the patch from the online service?

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No. The 360 has been out longer, and so it has far more games. If you consider PS1 and PS2 libraries too, then the PS3 can definately play the most games.

Only the 20GB, 60GB, and 80GB systems can. The only one currently available is the 40GB system, which cannot play PS2 games, but can play PS1 games. There's an 80GB bundle with Metal Gear Sold 4 coming out June 12th. the 80GB system doesnt have full backwards compatability though. there are some PS2 games it has issues with, and a handfull that will not even load.

The Armada game is awesome, but both Beast Wars games are garbage. Just warning you.

Currently, yes. Right now, multiplatform games are designed for the 360, and then just ported to the PS3. If they ever start really taking advantage of the PS3's increased storage on blu-ray, you'll see much higher resolution textures on PS3 games than 360 games.

This is a software issue, not a hardware issue. it all depends on the game. recently PS3 games have started to require installs to the hard drive, which speeds up load times a lot.

Both Sony and Microsoft tech support will treat you like an idiot no matter what problems you may have. Sony refuses to touch any system unless you have a box and a receipt for it, and Microsoft's tech support seem dedicated to frustrating customers over actually helping them.

PS3. the PS3 has no widespread hardware failures, while every single 360 in existence is vulnerable to the dreaded Red Ring Of Death.

8. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
  9. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats weird, I thought they were all the same, just different memory. Thanks for the heads up on that because I would have been pissed if I found out the hard way. If I do go PS3, I am thinking I will wait for the MGS4 one, I don't plan on getting a ton of PS2 games, but there are a few I would like to pick up. I heard Beast Wars suck but It's more of a Transformer nostalgia thing than anything else.
    Good thing to know:) 
    I will definitely keep the box and receipt, I can't stand tech support as it is, so I guess I'll have lots of fun with them:)  I hear Nintendo is great though, but I have never had a problem with them so I don't know first hand.
    Also very good to know. A lot of my friends have had the Red Ring of Death.

Thanks for your help Valkysas:) 

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If you get the MGS4 bundle, then pick up the Metal Gear Essential Collection for PS2. it includes MGS 1, 2, and 3 for $30. it'll prepare you for MGS4, and you'll also be able to play some of the best games of the past decade.

11. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've played 1 and 2 but never played 3. I will definitely pick it up though if I go the PS3 route. I love Snake :) 

12. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    nothing personal, but I really hate it when people refer to hard drive space as "memory".

13. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    To be honest, I'd prefer the Xbox 360. The PS3 isn't bad, it's just that the 40GB version is missing the PS2 backwards compatibility. But whatever, it's your call.

14. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    My PS3's power supply burnt out after about a month of light usage, and Sony's customer support was fast and efficient. 2 days after I placed the call, they sent me a container to ship my PS3 to them in, and 3 days after i put it in the mail, I had a new (refurbished) console. Only problem with that is that since mine wouldn't power on, I couldn't really get my save games off the HDD, so my data was lost. Overall, the process was lightning fast, and with the exception of losing my data, I was pleased. That said, for a moment, I couldn't find the receipt, and the customer support call screeched to a halt, and the guy was ready to put my claim on hold, until I remembered where it was.

15. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just for you, I edited my first post:thumbs2: 

I never knew about that until Valkysas posted it. I am going to go with a PS3 I think, and the 80 GB coming out on the 12th will be the one.

Socialvegetable thanks for the positive customer support story. Glad to hear they help out:) 

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Indeed, My 360 is in my room, and just today my son was watching Iron Giant in the room, because we were playing Warhawk in the main room, and he walks into the room and tells me that the movie is over. Had just put it in like 30 minutes before. Walk into the room, and the 360 had locked up. Fortunately, no Red Rings were present, but this had happened to me while watching G1 Transformers earlier, and this is an Elite system. This is the reason why I didn't get GTA4 on it.

But ultimately it is about your game preferences, but keep in mind that unless you get the newer systems, the 360 will give your problems.

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I have both and I prefer the 360 for games personally, hardly ever use the Ps3 except as a DVD/BluRay player.

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Um, nope.
    I've dealt with Microsoft's people 3 times now; twice for RROD issues with my own 360, and once for a friend when his power supply burned out. All 3 times they dealt with the issue quickly, efficiently and politely, got the matter resolved within minutes, and got replacements/repairs done within 3 weeks.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

In this case UK > USA!

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Suits me! :) 
    But yeah, seriously. The replacement PSU arrived the. next. day.