what time should I sell my primus package?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Crazy Ramjetty, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

my mom decided to finally get a primyus package this year to sell but at what point in the future should she sell it? a week after botcon? a month? a year? a decade?

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You'll probably get the most right after botcon when the demand is high. When I went, I put mine up that night. It sold high enough to cover the box set, the loose set and a little more. I essentially went to Botcon for free & got free toys & dealer spending $$.

3. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In my opinion. The club produces so many now that their values don't really shoot up like past ones. I'd put her Primus+freebie+add-ons on ebay as soon as you get it. There are still suckers with money out there that have to have it right away.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    List it right away. this years set is a mixed bag and may not hold its value in the long run. Some figures are a hit like the shattered glass Tracks while others like the Gigatron/Overlord aren't as well received.

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    So very true, every year they up the production run and seem to set aside more sets for Iacon packages.

Last year's set was the first set since 2008 to really sell well during the Botcon weekend. We ended up keeping my wife's 09 set (hardly any were listed that weekend and those that were sold for a loss) and the 10 set seemed to barely sell for even money.

As for this year's set, the Primus and Iacon packages have not sold out yet. Unless they sell out during Botcon weekend, the sets will be available via the club store after Botcon. If this year's set is anything like the 2005 set, it'll be available for quite some time.

If you can put the Free attendee figure on Ebay Thursday night or Friday morning, that's when the prices are the highest. After that they tend to fall off.

6. tfprime32

tfprime32 Banned

News Credits:
    How much does it go for if you put it on ebay roughly??

7. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The other problem this year is that not all of the sets have been sold...

8. squawkbot

squawkbot Active Member

IMO you shoulda did Primus last year. I foresee it being rough this year

9. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the overlord so me getting him hopefully shouldn't be a problem I'm thinking his price will go down while tracks and others go up

10. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    the recent ones are definitely not holding their prices up there like before...i just got a complete bagged set of the 2009 botcon tf's for $170 on ebay....

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I see this set breaking even at best. People I've seen trying to set up pre-sales on twitter are having a real problem making deals unless they offer it at cost or break them up.

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it not being an actual set is hurting it this year too, but past trends indicate to sell immediately after botcon

13. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this thread should be called "what is the most effective way to gouge other transformers fans". If those extra sets don't sell and end up at the club website I think there is going to be a lot of people that sell their extra sets at a loss. However I do also agree that selling asap is the way to go (ie put a BIN option that would net a decent profit but something that will also sell before the weekend is over)

14. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I'll be happy to get back what I paid for it, and I'd be really happy if I sold it here or at the show instead of putting it up on ebay

15. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Put it up as soon as you get back to your hotel room.

16. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    just a little bitter there?

look at all those folks that gouged the hell out of the shadow scythe armor add on set...botcon sets will always have a demand on them from folks that could not attend the con due to costs or vacation times or not being able to order a set themselves....

And those who did pay to attend the convention and stand in the lines on their time and dime to get the stuff....There is nothing wrong with someone asking how to maximize their set for sales purposes...

17. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Yup, gonna be a hard time making a profit this year if that's the only reason some folks bought the set.

18. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did provide a response to the OP as well (basically sell them as fast as you can). I was an econ major in school and I've seen this trend year after year: people attend botcon, buy as many exclusives as possible, then resell to try and make their money back (IMO nothing wrong with that). Funpub has seen this trend and has been producing more and more botcon kits to ensure that they can sell to every single person at the con. Now there seems to be so many they are available at convention cost after the con.

The thing that bugs me is that people know these are going to be on the club store, but people at the con are still buying extra sets to purposely try to recoup some of the cost of the convention (in this case the OP pestered his mom into buying a set so he could sell). Problem is these things are becoming less rare or exclusive or whatever you want to call it which will make the sets cost remain fairly close to the retail price, but people are still going to try and take advantage of "the fans that can't wait" and sell their extras. look at this thread in particular, people seem to be saying "sell them as soon as you can to some unsuspecting sucker because this set will be worthless." That's what bugs me.

19. hotspot_2001

hotspot_2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While it is unlikely you will make any money from the boxset itself there is still money to be made usually from the add-on figures. If you can break even on the boxset, more or less, selling all the add-ons usually nets enough money to pay for the set of add-ons I buy for myself. As others have said, they will sell best right after the con. Every once in a while there will be that one gem that skyrockets in price down the road but it's hard to know that will happen.

They have been making more add-ons recently too but the "free" figure is still a good sell and any kind of troop builders they do sell well. The other sets maybe net a few dollars each as they are likely to end up on the store to some extent.

20. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    yeah but your missing the fact that there is no "poor sucker".....

You have a person selling something that another person wants to buy...it's not like the transformer crack god is holding a gun to the buyer's head and forcing them to get the botcon set....

and if the price is too high...then that "poor sucker" is not going to buy it or will fork over the cash....
    all and all...there is no victim or anyone getting taken advantage of here..