Customs: What thinner/solvent takes off the paint on classics Prime/Magnus sides?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Okay, so I've been stripping Classics Magnus for a repaint I'm doing and I can't figure out how to strip the paint off of the two truck sides attached to his outer arms and his head. I soaked everything in isoprophyl for a few days, which took off all the other paint apps elsewhere, but this stuff is still perfectly fine - the isoprophyl had no effect.

I'm thinking about soaking them in industrial parts cleaner ("The purple stuff") from Wal-Mart, because that doesn't hurt plastics, but sometimes takes paints off of a different consistency.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I ran into the exact same thing with Jetfire, alcohol would not take the red off. I ended up just painting over it.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Perhaps your answer lies within here?

:stickies 

:lolol 

. . . anyways, all jokes aside, I'm surprised that the alcohol didn't do the trick. I use GooJoo and old toothbrushes for my heavy duty cleanings like this. Just be careful of course. :D 

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Yeah, uh...like I said, the isoprohpyl didn't do the trick. I left those parts in there for four days and there was no change to the paint at all.

So far, this afternoon, soaking them in "The Purple stuff" hasn't helped either, so I'm kinda at a loss.

5. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Without sounding like a broken record, might I suggest some denatured alcohol? I've used lighter fluid with decent results in the past as well.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I used to sing the praises of Simple Green for removing stubborn paint aps. That was until I picked up a naked transformer ( that went through the Green process ) and his plastic was all brittle and he literally fell apart in my hands. I assume it was the Simple Green because otherwise, I had done nothing else to him.

7. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Is the paint on plastic or metal?

8. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

Is this the same as Castrol Super Clean? I've also heard Tea Tree Oil works for removing paint apps, but have heard it's very stinky.

I've actually used Brasso as well, it works for the most part but takes some scrubbing. Have not personally tried the Tea Tree Oil though.

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IIRC, the paint used on translucent plastic is of a different type, and doesn't dissolve in alcohol as other paint apps would. I'm not quite sure what takes it off.

10. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Why not just scuff-sand it, apply a plasitc primer, and paint on top of it?

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Because, to be absolutely honest, it's a factory-applied paint, and I'm assuming that some sort of solvent will take it off in its entireity. I'd prefer to avoid sanding if I can mostly because, while I have sanded painted stuff down before, I'd like to avoid losing any detail that might be a result of a poor sand in various locations.

I'd like to think I'm good at this stuff, but I'm not perfect. I know my limitations when it comes to sanding parts.

EDIT: Yeah, AutobotSDG, the Purple Stuff = Castol Super Clean. Same stuff.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    If the factory paint ap was put on using the "paint the mold" technique, it's not coming off no matter what. I've experimented with that when I was molding long smokestacks for 20th Prime. It's permanent because the plastic cures with the paint and thus the paint becomes part of the plastic. I fear this may be the case.

13. StBrianofMinneapolis

StBrianofMinneapolis Well-Known Member

I have a vaguely similar problem with the forearms on Wreck Gar. Rubbing Alcohol took of 80% of the paint. What is left is too fierce for alcohol or a toothbrush to handle.

I'm hoping model paint thinner may help. Also, I need a better scrubbing brush. This toothbrush is ridiculous. Any other suggestions for a brush?

14. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

If you're worried about losing detail in sanding, try a fiberglass pen from Radio Shack. I've had good luck with it before, especially in crevices. It doesn't take a lot off, but you can get in places untouchable with sandpaper.

15. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
  16. knobbycon

knobbycon logorrheic egghead

Hexanes

17. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm Thundercracker fanatic

alchohol pads work good too

18. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    I ran into a similar problem with Classics Op. There were a couple of spots where the paint just would not come off. Fortunately the spots are small and easily covered over.