what the ralph is 'ogg'?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shipwreck, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

and why can't I put it into itunes.

2. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

That's the Ogg-Vorbis audio compression format. It's an open-source format that allows for higher quality sound than MP3. I don't know anything about iTunes, so I can't help you there.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    No matter how superior its quality may be, I've found Ogg-vorbis media files to be a real bitch to get working and playing. They're not recognized - at least, if I remember correctly - by iTunes and I had all sorts of trouble using them with Musicmatch (this was years back.)

I ended up downloading an Ogg-to-MP3 player somewhere along the line and I use that to avoid the hassle.

5. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Use the Quintessential media player to change ogg to mp3.

Ogg Vorbis - The best named format out there!...

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think technically it is superior to mp3 and wma, but I don't think it will ever be fully supported.

7. flamepanther

There's no reason for it not to be though. Seeing as it's open and free, it would be easy enough to implement it. It even supports DRM encryption, which should appeal to some of the industry-friendly services that support WMA. I think these services probably just don't percieve a demand for it yet. MP3 is dominant simply because it was the first digital compression format people started ripping songs to. WMA has the foothold it does because Microsoft's ripping tools default to it, and people are lazy enough to use it.

There's a lot more stuff being encoded to Ogg-Vorbis on the P2P networks now compared to a couple years ago, and if the amount of ogg content continues to grow, the industry will eventually percieve a demand for it. They're just slow. Remember how long it took before we had 100% legal MP3 download services in the first place?

8. funkatron101

Ebay:
    That's the key. My scenario is this. I pop in a cd on my media center pc that is hooked directly up to my analog TV. Reading text outside of media center is a pain so I don't want to squint and strain to try and convert stuff, and converting it with media center to wma is a breeze.

Most people, aside from audiophiles, don't really care. The sacrifice of sound quality to convenience and ease of use wins everytime.

Look at who pushes mp3 and wma. I don't think they are likely to embrass ogg anytime soon.

Personally I would love a file format that is about 1/3 the size of mp3, and better quality, but if I have to spend time converting all of my music through a tedious process, then forget it, I just don't have the time.

9. flamepanther

Most people also don't use a TV as their primary computer monitor, so they wouldn't have your problem.

10. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Doesn't negate the fact that most people just want the easiest way and will sacrifice quality for convenience. Right now the easiest way is itunes and media player, because it is the most widely used. If MS and Apple would integrate ogg, then maybe it would become more popular, but I don't see that happening.

11. flamepanther

Microsoft is going to promote their own propriatary format, but there's no reason for Apple not to add support for it.

12. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

The Ogg plugin for Windows Media Player rocks!

13. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

A huge file size would be right up Apple's alley with such high gig ipods.