What the hell's going on with Captain America: Reborn?!?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by payton34, Dec 22, 2009.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Issue #6 has been delayed (another significant issue delayed under Quesada's reign...UNTHINKABLE!!!), yet the "CA Reborn: Who Will Wield The Shield" one-shot comes out this week...which takes place AFTER the events of #6.

You know, I remember the good-old days of Marvel Comics (and I'm not talking way back with Lee/Kirby, I mean in the 80's with Shooter running the show). If there was a big event like, say Secret Wars or something, and somebody was running behind (more often than not, the artist), they had a big enough stable that the main artist would do the breakdowns, a fill-in do the finishes, then the inker would step in, etc. and everything would still be on schedule.

That's exactly what happened with Secret Wars. Mike Zeck started the series, Bob Layton stepped in here and there, and Zeck finished it up with a bang. And you know what? EVERY ISSUE CAME OUT ON TIME.

Quesada is running the show just like a movie executive. He doesn't care if the series has "legs" or not (meaning strong sales over the course of the run), he's just looking for the "big opening weekend". He wants huge sales of the first issue, 1st/2nd/3rd printings to boost the overall numbers so he can say "it's a hit", and after that who gives a damn about the rest of the series.

Quesada is like a kid with ADHD. He's all hyped up to get something big started, but he's too quick to move on to something else therefore killing the sustainability of what he previously started. That leads to delays, which leads to ticked-off readers, which leads to disinterested readers, which leads to not-selling-another-damn-copy-of-the-book.

/end rant.

2. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    eh Reborn was originally meant to be 5 issues, but they decided to change it to 6 issues when issue 4 was solicited.

Of course, it doesnt mean they can late, for me, I rather wait a month or two longer just to get the whole volume by Hitch. Look at Infinite Crisis, artist galore and it was a mess.

Also, other comics have already spoilt the ending of rebirth already

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

because they are pandering to these artists and don't want to stifle their creativity.

I say screw that. There are a ton of people in line that are just as talented waiting for a shot, and Shooter knew that.

The artist I give exception to is Mark Bagley. He is my favorite artist, but on top of doing great work, the guy is a work horse when it comes to art. We were getting USM twice a month for a while. Bagley is ex-military and has a strong work ethic, and probably devotes 10 hours or more a day to doing artwork.

4. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Marketing ploy maybe....

I'm not saying I'm right on this but it seems like this has happened before where comics skip an issue and when the missing issue is put out,everyone scrambles to find it and the cost goes up.

5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Issue #6: Cap wins. Move on.

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It used to be that issues were planned months ahead of due date. Artists would have to have their work in two months or more before publication date, so if they couldn't finish, another artist could finish up, or they could do a fill in arc. It was all about getting the product done by publication date. And it worked, the digital age has made people lazy.

DC has a similar policy still in place(it doesn't always work) But you often don't notice it. When Action Comics fell behind because of one of the Kubert brothers, they didn't wait months to release the next issue. They published fill in issues and had stories for months, before finally deciding to release the end of the arc in an annual.

Marvel, will let their artists and writers go on for months or years. Till after that time, the reader doesn't remember why he was so interested in the book. Though Dc has had a book here or there that suffered the same issues.

Dc is now going to try a straight to graphic novel format.

DC Comics has announced two new series of original graphic novels, Superman: Earth One and Batman: Earth One. The series, which will debut in 2010, will be set in a new continuity and on a new Earth. The first volumes in the series will feature the powerful DC heroes’ origins retold in a standalone original graphic novel format. These heroes’ earliest moments and formative years will be chronicled in superbly-drawn sagas set on a new earth with an all-new continuity.

Writer Geoff Johns and artist Gary Frank retell the origin saga of Gotham’s greatest crime-fighter whose career was forged in tragedy in Batman: Earth One, while J. Michael Straczynski and artist Shane Davis perform a similar narrative task in chronicling the life of Earth’s greatest adopted son who grows from tiny infant to powerful superhero in the quintessential Midwestern town, Smallville, in Superman: Earth One.

This format means we won't get the arcs till they are finished, and I personally think for some artists and writers, it's a good idea.

7. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I think both those Earth One books will be worth looking at.

8. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That wouldn't be a bad theory, except for Marvel or DC or whomever doesn't get an extra cut on that jacked up price. The comic shop might, but not the distributor.

9. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    They need Cap alive in the books before the Avengers movie anyhow.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Ah, so issue 5 was also delayed? Good to know. My brother was asking.

11. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    #5 was released a month or so ago.

(And btw, the "who will wield the shield" one-shot was pretty good)

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Hmm, that's odd. I should have had it by now in that case.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Did that Ultimate Hulk versus Wolverine book ever finish?

;) 

It just seems to me with Marvel that getting a comic out at all is becoming a milestone event in itself.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  14. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i think they did....they did a re-release of the issues that were out the week before the new one came out.

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I did a wiki search and apparently it did finish this year. So there was a gap of 3 years between issues 2 and 3 apparently.

Which may as well be Marvel forcing fans to the ground and pissing on their heads.