What the hell...

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Joe Moore, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So I sold a comics lot on ebay. Some guy in Peru wins the auction for $21.50. The problem is that the cheapest shipping to Peru is nearly double the price of what he paid for the auction ($38). I know he's going to come back and tell me to screw myself, but what the hell can I do?

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Most people overseas are aware of the shipping charges when they buy stuff.

Also, Peru is one of the 2 postal black holes (the other being Italy), so you may want to go with the most expensive option for safety on your end.

3. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Unfortunately, the most expensive is $154. And mid range is about $70. Crazy stuff for 5 pounds of comics.

4. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Sorry to say this Joe but your going to get screwed..some guy won an auction of mine of some old Toyfare magazines for $22.45 and it cost me the CHEAPEST way $25 to send.....:thumbdown 

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Try priority flat rate box if it fits.

Should be around 30-35 with delivery confirmation and add insurance for 2-3 dollars.

That's what i do on international countries that are trouble spots.

6. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I hate to do it, but when I list an auction I only ship within the US and Canada - just for this reason.

7. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I hate to do that. I actually get a lot more questions and buys from overseas. Usually UK, but this is the first time where shipping price really bothered me. Most items I send are usually less than 2 pounds.

8. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

I sell many AFA items internationally. I want to warn you that if you ship any other way except for Express Mail International to Peru, you will not have a way to track the item. Priority Mail International does not offer tracking to Peru. If the buyer were to file a paypal dispute, saying they never got the item, your only recourse is to provide a tracking number. Peru is a place that won't even let you send toys to their country!

I realize the items only cost the seller $20, and Express Mail International is expensive, but I wanted to let you know your options.

9. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm waiting to hear back from the buyer, but that is definitely a good piece of info.

10. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

No problem bro!:thumb 

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I shipped to Skylynx2 last year. He's from Malaysia. That went smoothly, but I figured I'd take my perfect overseas record of 1-0 and end it there. The shipping charges, extra fees, and the problems that could ensue from a package not reaching its international destination aren't worth it to me.

US and Canada for me all the way.

12. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Yeah, I try to stick to USA only but Canada and UK haven't been too bad... but yeah, I've heard horror stories about Italy and Malaysia... Don't even get me started on Singapore...

Good luck - with any luck maybe the guy says something like "Wow - yeah, sorry, I can't do that" but then you just leave eachother positive feedbacks and try it again :)  That's not uncommon. So you both might still get SOMETHING out of the deal.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I could understand Peru being a postal blackhole, but why Italy?

14. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    Do it the easy way, contact him about shipping prices, warn him about how high prices are and give him the options and, between the options, state that if he wants to give up due to high shipping prices you will understand, if he gives up you will only loose the ebay fee, around $3.00 and will not be exposed to a negative feedback or paying high prices.

Ah and yes, next time state clearly in your auction that for international shipping only EMS is available.

this may sound tough but is safe for you and your buyers!

hope it helps!

15. diablien

diablien Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The rule is: NEVER SHIP TO PERU

16. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    They have very strict import regulations and their customs aren't very fast.

17. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    In all my many years of actively collecting, 90% of all my stuff has come from outside Europe ! mainly USA, Canada, Australia, Singapore, China, Japan. Never in 8 years I've experienced a package getting lost regardless of having tracking number or not !. The only package I ever experienced getting lost for good was a MIB Robotech Hovertank sent from the UK, which litterally is neighbour to Denmark !.

But also do beware that a lot of active "international" ebayers are aware of the shipping costs when they're bidding - I know I am, but I also know when shipping is being overcharged :) 

Also a word of notice. The customs label number on a package actually gets scanned and acts as a tracking number for many world wide postal services ! A lot of times I've gotten the custom label number, and through that I have been able to track the package through our postal service eventhough it's without "real" tracking number.

18. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^Second that, the customs label will save your ass bigtime when it comes to stuff like this.

Also have you looked into Media mail, it's for paperwork and books, might be able to work for you.

19. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Here's an update. The guy actually paid last night. I am completely shocked.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be, Joe. Sounds to me like he's used to high shipping; people get used to stuff like that when it's the only option they have.