What the hell is Albertson's smoking?! -OR- Retailers That Missed the Pricing Memo

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AlphaOmega, May 24, 2006.

1. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member

Albertson's is a grocery chain in 37 states, so I'll bet that you've probably heard of them. But if you haven't been inside, let me tell you...it is a depressing experience. Smelly seafood section, white trash surrounding you, and a perplexing mix of products that ranges from frozen pizzas to leather jackets and beyond.

But here's where it ties into TFs. As I was walking through to get beer (all the good stores around me were closed already), I saw one each of Energon Strongarm and Insecticon, for $8.99 each, no less! And the two Cybertron deluxe figures there were $12.99! Why would a grocery store think that they can charge a two to three dollar premium for figs that are up to 2 years old?!? :banghead: 

Does anyone else have stories of overpriced or insanely old TFs found for sale? :confused: 

2. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

I've seen Transformers at Safeway. Apparently it was through an arrangement with KayBee, which would explain inflated prices if that's what Albertson's is doing too.

It's a crazy world we live in, no?

3. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My Supermarket, Stop & Shop has an arrangement with TRU, and they have figures overpriced for 20%

The idea isn't to be competative in a supermarket, it is to make money off of impulse buying. Up until recently they still had Armada Laserbeak up for $19.99

4. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

At least my local Kroger isn't that bad. From early January through Easter they had Cybertron figs (just a few Deluxes lined up on the bottom shelf) for $9.99 each. Almost picked up a Cybertron Blurr, but got busy and forgot about it and somebody else bought it.

5. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    know what's funny about the toys in albertson's? it's a partnership they have with toys r us. although i'm sure the pricing is all the stores' deal. i never get toys from those stores. last i saw they had star wars figures for nearly ten apiece. robbery!

6. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    A grocery store doesn't "think" they can sell toys for more. A grocery store is not Wal-mart or Target that are actually undercutting prices. A deluxe being $10 is "normal" because of them, but without them would cost more. The grocery store doesn't buy enough to get a bulk discount to sell them for that cheap.

They also don't "think" they can sell old toys for me. They just have the toys and probably have for 2 years and they haven't sold. They're not worried about clearancing out a couple figures. They probably don't even "know" how old they are. But also in a little more while perhaps a mint, sealed Energon figure will be worth more than the $2-$3 markup.

This is the same kind of pricing I've seen at drug stores for years.

7. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Albertson's near me had ARMADA Overload for full price six months ago. I try not to go in there anyway - it's a little skeevy. Publix all the way, baby.

8. FortMax

FortMax Not Metroplex or Mudflap

In December, my local Kroger had a Energon Demolisher and Shockblast, both with a layer of dust, for $5.99 and $7.99 respectivly, but this was after Christmas. I think they were at the standard retail price befort then.

9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I still remember in 1990, at some Walgreens in Minnesota, I picked up 5 of the 6 G1 Constructicons MOSC.

10. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    In 1990, in a Hardware Hank in Minnesota I got G1 Long Haul MOSC. They had Bonecrusher, Hook, and Mixmaster as well, but I had them. Just no Scavenger or Scrapper.

That Alexandria Hardware Hank was some strange G1 Transformer Wonderland back then.... bigger, better selection of TFs than Kmart, Shopko, or Children's Palace.

11. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Heh. I bought some G2 stuff from KB midway through Beast Wars.

12. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    There was a Mom and Pop toy store in Sacramento in 89 (The 6 months of HELL I spent in that shitty town) that had a boat load of '84 TF's I remember getting a Megatron there.

I also remember getting a G2 Sideswipe in 98 at a Hardware Store in Two Rivers WI while visiting my Grandparrents.

13. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Does Publix have a toy section or not?

14. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^
    No... but if they did, there would be a lot less arguing in my house about who's doing the grocery shopping.
    :) 

15. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Stop and Shop near me had the LOC figures priced to move at $4.99 each :confused: 

G1 Smokescreen and Ironhide for $10.00 each back in 1992 at a mom and pop store we stopped at while snowmobiling in the area ... needless to say they had a bumpy ride home.

16. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    That's nothing, there is a store in B.F.E. where my Ex-Wife lives (and I have to go to see my kids) called Pamida (I think it's owned by Shopko as I have see a Shopko Truck in the dock a few times) (BTW think of this place as the bastard child of K-Mart and a Bait and Tackle Store, yes it's that bad and that hick) and they have LOC for $5.99!!!!!!!

17. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Might you recall the name of said store? I'll be going that way on business this weekend and it may still exist. You never know....Thanks!

18. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    How Dare You Double Post??????

19. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

WTF?!?! I got the dreaded "server down" page when I tried to post the first time. Argh!!!

20. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    No Clue, it was 17 years ago for one, and 2 I blacked out most of my stay there, except for one funny thing.

My Mom came up to visit us and we went to the local Mall, she asked an employee at a store what there was to do in town, she said "Leave"

I have to say Sacremento is just about the only place on earth I dispise more than where I am now.