What the hell is a matter with people?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by butz, Aug 12, 2007.

1. butz

butz slippery when wet

1. Fairly nice part of town, plus the cops are right down the road and frequently pass through the parking lot.

2. As in kids in the restroom? yes, but not that old. As in crimes involving kids or rape? not there, no.

3. Mostly just old people and other parents. Then again, I might look like a shady person.

I guess this just boils down to a "when do you draw the line" kinda thing. The girl looked too old (8-9 at the very least; wouldn't have surprised if she was a couple years older) and frankly I just don't want girls in the same room when I'm going pee; I would've understood the younger one, but still wouldn't want to go in there.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Maybe the girl has a fear of public restrooms.

3. butz

butz slippery when wet

I suppose there was more going on there than what I saw ... hell, maybe it was based on some past bad experience; all I know is I wasn't about to go in there (and I had to pee pretty bad ... ironically, the restroom I wound up using, on the other side of the store was a uni-sex restroom with a lock).

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Can't blame them really. Too many kidnappers out there that get kids when they're parents are least expecting it.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Weird. But I don't have kids, so I try not to second-guess parental behavior that isn't blatantly problematic, and that's not what I would personally classify this as.

If I was really curious, I probably woulda just asked them politely what the deal was. Worst case, they tell you off. Best, they give you an explanation.

6. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

From my experience cleaning public restrooms at work, the women's restroom usually gets in worse shape. Women use too much toilet paper, clog the toilets, and then I have to go in and clean up a huge pool of water on the floor while I have a line of women bitching at me while I sweep the water into the drainage grate. There's paper all over the floor (often soaked from said water on the floor) and somehow women get piss on the toilet seats. Not to say there're no messes in the men's room, but usually it's a little piss on the toilet seats, not an entire floor covered in a few millimeters of water. Yeah, I wouldn't want to go in there to shit either.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So er, were the father-son tourists or local Singaporeans? :D  By the way, I'm curious, do you go to Singapore often? It would be cool to meet a fellow tfw2005er...not in a toilet of course! XD

IMO, I would have done the same also...even in Singapore (where its infamously "clean" and "safe"), I would be extremely cautious for my kids...nowadays, there's been increase cases of missing kids.

8. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Eh, I wouldnt think anything of it. But then, I am the kind of person who tries to assume people are generally good.

9. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I think they were Indian tourists.

Unfortunately I don't normally ever actually leave the airport - I'm usually just there for a few hours in between flights. It's the standard stopping point for the Australia -> UK flight.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    A young girl was raped in a supermarket toilet over in the UK a few months back, while her mum was shopping nearby.

There's nothing wrong with what that guys done.

11. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    The 5 year old girl I can understand going into a restroom with her dad. She's still a bit young, and may not be completely "capable" yet in using the facilities properly or "finishing up" if you know what I mean. The older girl is almost 10, or looks it. She should've went into the women's restroom, no doubt about it.

12. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

So if it seems weird for a guy to take his 10 year old daughter into the men's room is it weird for a woman to take her 10 year old son into the ladies room?

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see, I see. It probably means that you're in "transit" also! Thought I could show you around! :D 

Whoa! I missed that news and and that really happened, I don't blame the dad!

In my country (Singapore), the boy would be considered too old for the boy...but the world's kinda screwy these days and there have been incidents of older males molesting young boys in public toilets.

14. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

some parents are really over-protective nowadays. my wife still has a problem with our 8 year old walking to and from school even though it's within eyesight of our house in a town of a little over 10000 people.

15. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What does he do when his kid is at school? Tell the kid to hold it until she gets home? Stand guard outside the door if you want but 8 or 9 year olds should be able to go to the bathroom by themselves.

16. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This was not about a 8 yr old though, it was about a four yr old. The older child just came in because I doubt the father would want to leave her out in the hall-way by herself.

School is also very different from a store/public restroom.

I HATE(really hate) having to bring my daughter into the mens bathroom and do my best to avoid it at all costs. But I do it because I could not live with my-self if I didn't and something happened. Sometimes you just don't have the choice, they have to go when they have to go. If keeping my daughter safe means making a pee-shy guy uncomfortable I can live with that.

I can't help but wonder what responses on here would be if it were a story about something happening to a young child who was sent into a restroom un-accompanied while the parent just stood around outside the lavatory.

Again, just my 2 cents

17. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I just don't know how to respond to this. Seriously, I can remember at the age of 7 watching tv in the living room with my parents and the ads would come on looking for lost kids and I can still remember my father saying that kid's buried in a canyon somewhere...Yeah that tends to make me want to lean over to the overprotective parent. Its nothing to be standing there one second and 2 seconds later the kid is gone. I can imagine that is rather a frightening experience for anyone to go through. People are just insane nowadays. So belittle the father for protecting his girls or chastise him later for not doing enough.

18. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think that sums up the whole thread quite nicely Well said KSA.

19. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The worse the world gets, the more protective most parents get. Yeah, your wife can "guard" the door but what if there's some freak in there waiting? It can happen.

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter: