What the Hell are developers thinking??

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I'm playing Warhawk with Tigran this morning and ask myself.... Why, after the advent of a 600+million dollar movie, and a very sucessful toyline, are we still sitting here waiting for a Transformer video game with an online mode?

The concept of giant robots that can turn into vehicles lends itself to a multiplayer Third Person Shooter more than almost anything.. Why jump on a Warthog, when you can just become one? Mix Xbox and PS3 and PC game servers so we can all play together. Our boards would populate the hell out of that game... But no one does it. Instead we get a pretty crappy game based on the movie. An amazing Armada game, but Hasbro decided to pull the plug on Melbourne, and their sequel had Coop and deathmatch multiplayer planned.

Sorry, just venting. I want to show Smasher who's boss in a Transformer game :D 

2. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree 100%. Obviously there would be issues with multi-platform compatibility but even if they had one that was console specific I would be fine with that. It really seems like a no-brainer. I'd be surprised if they weren't already trying to make it happen.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they do, I hope Hasbro or Activision (if it is them still) doesn't put too much preasure and lets them do it right. I have never been one to mind a delay if a game is worth it.

God the ridiculous fun we would have on these boards talking trash and making clans of Autobots and Decepticons.

4. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

There was an awesome Quake 2 mod that let you do that a few years ago - man I played that to death...

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    What!?!?!!
    Well, in my mythological universe where said game exists I pwn Windcharger everytime.

Seriously, I agree with what you are saying. I think one could take the Star Wars Battlefront formula and apply it to a lot of franchises; Transformers among them.

It would also be cool if they could somehow incorporate the 'Robots in disguise' element to the mix as well; you would have to accomplish your objective, but not be seen in robot mode by humans. That would be cool -at least for some game modes.

Seriously, how cool would it be to capture the flag, then turn into a Camaro and drive it back to your base? All the while you are getting bombed from above by a Decepticon who is hot on your tail. Of course, that Decepticon is controlled by Windcharger so my success rate is 100%.

Hey -this is my fictional reality. :D 

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hahaah, that would kick ass. Not to mention Multiplayer missions that still employed Deathmatch but added something that no other game has...

What if, for example... The team that played as Decepticons would just fly around and destroy shit, and kill humans, and the team playing Autobots had to stop them. So points weren't based on deaths or flags captured, rather casualties avoided, vs. Casualties caused.

Smasher: Human's killed 1.

Windcharger: Humans saved 5,276.

heheh

Oh Oh Oh!! you know what else would kick ass.. If one of the "pick-ups" in the game was an item that temporarily made you a member of the opposite team, so a jet alt mode would turn into a car with an Autobot symbol, and you could sneak in on the Autbots and unleash hell.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    :lolol 

It would be like Robot Chicken.
    We stopped the Decepticons and there were only 50 human casualties.
    Then my cybernetic prostate would give me trouble.

Seriously, why does it always seem like game development is behind on this kind of thing. It seems like if such a game were to become a reality the robots would be in their own universe and not exactly be 'Transformers'.

Then, Hasbro would get wind of the idea and hire the developers to apply the formula to their property. (Or, in the case of Marvel, sue the developer and then hire them to apply the formula to their property. Where is that NC Soft\Marvel MMO anyway?) But, by that time it appears to be a rehash and not a fresh idea.

So many comics, movies, etc lend themselves to good game ideas.
    Why can't we get them combined progressively? A Transformers RPG? Why not?
    A multiplayer combat game with Transformers, Robotech, or even GI Joe?
    Why not?

Hollywood waits for games to get huge before it makes movies off them, and the game industry waits for big name movies then applies a generic level-cutscene, level-cutscene formula to them.

No one breaks the stagnation and takes risks.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Star Wars has a lot of ups and downs in terms of becoming a good gaming license. I think Transformers has a long way to go before it becomes a respectable game and no longer a "licensed" game. I would be worried that if such a game were attempted right now, it just wouldn't be given enough attention by any developer who makes it to be done right. That's at least what I would guess. Obviously, if done right, the game would be great.

9. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Video games to developers is a business first then art. They have to put food on their tabel too.

Depends also if the developer even wants to bother with a franchise to begin with, unless some crafty developer is a fan, why should he care about someone elses' universe when he can make his own with his own vision?

10. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I believe Hasbro pulled the plug on Melbourne because the Armada game didn't sell enough copies. It fell in that dreaded "slightly successful" category, which, for tax purposes, is actually worse for the company financially than a game that was an outright failure.

My dream TF game would be a TF MMORPG, though, that took place on Cybertron or something. That would ROCK.

11. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd like to know many things about what the TF Movie devs were thinking. Like, why the DS team wasn't put in charge of EVERYTHING. :cry 

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which goes to show what I have been ranting about on other threads. That game was very well-made and polished. it wasn't perfect, but obiously they made a better game than the movie one. And judging by the extras and love they put into the level design and character models, as well as all the little nods to the fans, it was partially a labor of love for them, and despite the poor sales, they wanted to do a sequel, and judging by the interview with one of the employees, it was going to be a hellova sequel.

13. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's no TF game with any online gameplay, because there's no decent TF game. Movie games all suck by default(they're all rushed out the door with the movie with half the development time or less it would have had otherwise), or the game was made so kids can scream "BUY THAT ONE!" when they see it on the shelf in the store(referring to armada).

The biggest problem with making a transformers game, is that a decent one would take easily a year or two. No one wanted to invest that kind of time or money in TF until recently, as the franchise was either too quick to change, or it's popularity fluctuated all the time.

Now that they know the movie can make a few hundred million dollars in a couple months, and who knows how much on toys, maybe someone will be willing to make the investment.

14. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Hasbro seems to be in bed with EA lately so maybe they will publish something like this...

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I beg you to differ. I think the Armada game was a lot more than decent. It wasn't perfect but it was a solid game.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Armada game is where I consider the A/E/C Tidal Wave to dwell. Always saw the TV series' version as Shockwave, the small one that combines with A-Megatron, while the game had Tidal Wave, the one an army of Decepticons RIDES INSIDE.

The game itself suffered from some repetitive/tedious gameplay, but it was hardly -bad-. And it's certainly better than any of its TF game predecessors, and IMO the best non-handheld TF game ever.

TF Movie's DS games are absolute win, though. They even have fun multiplayer (ask TwinTwist about how I rammed him with Blackout :O ).

17. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I think the Armada game didn't do so well because it was out of the demographic range that the show was popular with. As well as the game being based on Armada.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So TwinTwist is cannon fodder on the DS game? Might have to pick that one up then :D 

19. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

Dynasty Warriors: Transformers.

20. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd buy it, and like it.