What the heck?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CheetahDC, Nov 2, 2006.

1. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

2. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Thats not too big of a deal as long as apple stays around.

how in the world did you find this and why?

3. CheetahDC

Found it in another forum I go to.

4. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ironically, I'm on my SuSe Linux machine right now... :p  :lol 

5. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Eh, don't think anything of it. As soon as MS has gotten what they need, or want, from their partner they'll lock them out or "replace" their joined software with an MS exclusive. Look at the MS Zune to see my point.

6. CheetahDC

Hm? I thought Zune was Microsoft's from the start.

7. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Smells like divide and conquer. MS can still wield the lawsuit stick against other distros -- and it's unclear exactly what this agreement requires of Novell.

Also, MS' philosophy of embrace and assimilate comes to mind -- "adopt" a standard, attach tons of proprietary crap to it, then force everyone else to go with their version because they're Microsoft, and their enormous user base means they can do what they damn well please. Internet Explorer's renderer and their reinterpretation of Java come to mind. Also all the 3rd-party utility companies who have been systematically wiped out when MS extends their OS to include that functionality (generally dumbed down and inferior -- but most users don't care). Security and anti-virus companies are their current targets.

MS is not in this to be nice or to extend an olive branch. That's not how they work.

EDIT: Press Release Virtualization and spreading MS' OpenDocument format/Acrobat killer to Linux. Hmm.

-XCN-

8. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

It's obvious from the remarks I'm reading here that none of you have worked in the server end of enterprise environments. This is about interoperability. Many enterprises run a hybrid backend, and mission-critical functions demand that these systems interoperate seamlessly. In fact, my company, an all-Windows shop, is preparing to purchase another company that uses a combination of Windows servers, Solaris servers, and believe it or not, IBM mainframes running z/OS. They've invested a great deal of time and resources in their own infrastructure, and it would be neither quick nor economical to replace it. So we, in turn, become a mixed environment, and utilize whatever solutions are available to make the integration and continued operation the least possible burden. This deal is about Microsoft and Novell supporting their own products in such situations; interoperability increases sales for everyone. Linux has been taking market share away from UNIX for quite some time, due to (1) it having a lower TCO than AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, or any of the other proprietary UNIX distributions and (2) similarity of architectures. Microsoft knows this, so guess what they're developing interop solutions for?

I could have read this on Slashdot. Amusing interpretation of history aside, how does it relate to this deal at all?

9. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Fair enough. Sometimes a spade is just a spade. Not usually in the case of MS (who have been railing against Linux and open-source for years now), but sometimes.

-XCN-

10. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I've been with Linux since '96 or so. I've been with SuSE specifically since about '97. So I feel like I need to say something about this.

Unfortunately, the Linux Zealot side of me that I thought had been long dead is so busy fighting with the business practical side of me that I can't make any sense at all of this. And what little sense I can make would be scoffed at as conspiracy theories and nonsense.

I guess I'll just say I never thought Linux needed to be mainstream to "succeed." And now I know why I felt that way.

It'll be good for both sides in the short term. Long term? If Microsoft is still Microsoft, buh bye SuSE and Novell. If Microsoft is evolving as has been claimed by some, what we may have just seen here is the first sign of their attempt to replicate what Apple did with OS X. I have long wanted to see what would happen if Microsoft could get past their fear of Unix and embrace the positive aspects of it while cutting the crud that annoys even those of us who live and breathe it. So I'll take the same stand as I have on most new announcements. Cautious Optimism.

11. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I have, for ten years. And learned a long, LONG time ago to be cautious when contemplating anything positive Microsoft has attempted in the technology world.

And, later. . .

Here's you're interoperability.

It used to be embrace, extend, extinguish. Seems they figured out a way to skip step 2.

It'd be great if Microsoft would work towards interoperability, or hell, even use some underlying Linux technology in future Windows releases. But, Microsoft is not used to the idea of doin such things unless they can own, lock, stock, and barrell, all underlying technology in their OS.

They've just taken their first real step towards being able to push a little against the "Open Source Menace" as I've heard Ballmer refer to Linux in the past. Whether it will work or not is up in the air. But I'm updating my previous "Cautious Optimism" to "Business as Usual Then."

It wouldn't take much of a monetary dent to most Linux vendors to knock them out. Microsoft has paired up with a big one, and now they're getting ready to head after the smaller guys.