What the heck is KISS anyway?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ciberw0lf, Jul 31, 2006.

1. ciberw0lf

ciberw0lf Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So with KISS Prime and Rodimus on the way, I was curious where the KISS line comes from? Is it just a spin off of the Bin/Alt line of toys, or are the Hasbro people just a little horney for 12 yearold girls? Thanks

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Takara/TOMY have hired some famous sculptor guy to make figurines of girls that kiss Transformers to power them up, which are then packaged with their partner robots.

There's like, a radio play too.

3. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Is it true?

I mean, grant power kissing a bot?

It sounds weird, I think I don't like the idea. If the girls are good, that's Ok with me, but the idea behind it...:poop 

4. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

The only word to discribe the line would be disturbing.

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    According to the KissPlay radio show (I haven't heard it myself, this info is from a review at Autobase Aichi)

The name comes from Kiss Players, who are the girls with special ability to channel their powers or energy to Transformers by kissing them.

In the story (each KissPlayers takes turn to tell the story in a episode, TFs are yet to speak...), the bad guys are not Destrons but are called Regions.

There's apparently some homage to older TF series, but basically it has nothing to do with any previous lines.

The man who designed those girl figures (and drawing those illustrations as well as new KissPlay comic) is Yuki Oshima, who created the TF KT figure collection.

I don't wanna repeat what I personally think about the whole concept.

6. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    QFT.

7. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Knights in Satan's Service

oh wait, wrong KISS

oh wait, old joke

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    No, that's just the loonies who thought the line up in the first place.

9. Raven Zombie

Raven Zombie Liege Ravnos Muerte

10. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    It is a disturbing line showing apparently pre-pubescent girls in a dirsturbing light. Now, if they were TASTEFULLY done like the PVC figures with the BTA figures, they'd be a lot better and not as disgusting as their echi nature. Many of us are disgusted by the whole premise, but some (including myself) are looking forward to the Rodimus repaint of Mirage. Maybe, in the line, we'll even see other Autobot leaders and other Alternators repainted or released in die cast metal

11. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

Well I will buy them if they have exclusive Transformers(Repaints, Remolds, or New Molds) that won't be appearing in the Alternator or Binaltech lines.

But that is the only reason why I would buy them.

12. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

Apparently it's a line that spurs such idiocy from the fandom that even after the question has already tactfully and truthfully been answered the people are compelled to repeat their feelings about the line in general filling their responses with their own misinterpretations and misunderstandings about differing cultures/business practices/etc.

13. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You know, in certain cultures it's considered acceptable to rape your siblings to death and then eat their organs. We better not condemn that act as it's just a cultural misunderstanding.

14. j3

You are hilarious!

15. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    And in some cultures it is also acceptable to slap your wife around, sell your children as sex slaves or to cover debts, and other events and occurences we would see as unacceptable.

Just because it is a "cultural difference" doesn't justify it. There are just as many Japanese fans upset over this KISS line as there are American fans. When I get my Rodimus repaint my PVC figure for my OOB display is going right in the trash where it belongs.

This thread isn't meant to be debate over the whole KISS line, there are other more appropriate places for that (that I'd love to discuss in detail, politely and civily of course). The original author just asked what it was about (the premise) and some of us are a bit sensitive about it, naturally so. Anyone who thinks it is "appropriate" for an apparently underage person of ANY gender to be put in such provacative poses and outfits would be classified by some psychologists as a "social misfit." Not that some of us don't fit into that classification by, ahem, other means. :-D

16. j3

Yeah! You'll show them all! Buy the figure and throw it away! Hey! Fire is faster! *lights up a $20* BURN BABY BURN!

17. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    KISS is cheesy metal/rock band. And a ridiculous line of TFs.

18. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    $20? Nah, more like $60 :-D

Dude, relax, it is just some ridiculous toyline with disgusting little PVC figures to try to sell it domestically (meaning, in Japan).

unafraid, KISS ROCKS! They aren't cheesy! They are one of the most iconic bands of the 80s and ruled during their heyday. Now, well, yeah they are pretty cheesy with every other group making their face paint and outfits look tame

Some of the modern punk bands look like something that got caught under my truck while driving down the road while doing 80MPH, only to be knocked off by taking a speed bump at 50MPH.

Anywho, I have Rodimus preordered because I love the Ford GT mold, not because I care for the KISS line in any way. It is a beautiful car, but that may change once we get an actual product image. Thankfully, some preorders aren't set in stone.

19. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    What do Hasbro have to do with anything?!?

They're the ones who were releasing Altrnators without girly figures last I checked...

I guess Hasbro are also responsible for changing Masterpiece Starscream's colors?

With a native Japanese IN THIS VERY THREAD stating that he doesn't like the concept, I'd say it's a little audacious to accuse everone who oppses the concept of "cultutal racism".

Speaking of, you never actually told us your opinion about this line. All we ever got from you was justifications (IT IS THEIR CULTURE!) and accusations. Do YOU PERSONALLY like this concept or not? Because that's what an OPINION is.

Takara aren't appealing to a 2000-year-old Japanese cultural concept. They're appealing to otaku nerds. I guess if Hasbro started advertizing toys to teenagers who love to go on a death spree in their school, you're also going to tell irritated Japanese fans that it's a part of American culture?

20. j3

I like how people will pick out just one thing and try to argue against only it. As though the rest just weren't there. Yes it's playing to another specific fandom, one that already often is. Hence "business practices." In fact, the Transformers themselves are still the same old BT/Alts they are before (well the die-cast thing is still up in the air). They're just trying to pull in extra sales with the PVC figurines. Thanks for actually reading the post first.

And for your information, I have stated my opinion before. It's "not offended." And I find it pretty damn hilarious those who are.

edit: And the "death spree" thing was just ignorant. To compare moĆ© to murderers, nice. :thumb