What the heck Amazon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alphie, Jan 20, 2007.

1. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    So, my husband orders two movies from Amazon.com and today we get the package. It's empty and open. Apparently it arrived that way at the post office since there is a big sticker saying: No Contents, Open Package with our zip code. Not only that, there is a nice big viewing hole on the back of the box so anybody could see what was inside it. What the hell? Either someone had a serious brain fart at the packaging company or somebody stole our DVDs. He's calling Amazon now to figure out what had happened. Has anybody have this happen to them before?

2. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Closest I've had was a package that was damaged in transit. Bought some Deluxes off of BTAG and started getting upset that they hadn't shown up. Finally when I got it, the package looked as if someone had driven a fork lift over it. Though it did have one TINY sticker inside of all of the tape saying "Damaged in Transit".

3. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

The "viewing hole" is probably where your address label/invoice was. Of all the places to initially place blame, Amazon is probably the last.

4. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have a strong feeling it wasn't somebody at Amazon. :(  He tried calling, but couldn't find a number.

5. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468520

On the side of the page there's some details on what to do when trying to contact Amazon.com via phone.

I've never really had a problem with Amazon.
    I ordered the 9 disc Alien film set of them and it arrived.
    I didn't open it for a while and when I got round to it I found a big crack on one of the sleeves.
    I emailed them and they replaced it free of charge and never asked for the original back.

6. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never had problems with amazon either.

That's just weird...

7. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    Ouch. :( 
    Looks like somebody at the post office or delivery service saw something he liked in there.
    There must be some hotline or e-mail you can contact for inquiries.

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

1-800-201-7575 or 1-206-266-2992

There you go.

Amazon makes an effort to make it difficult to locate a phone number for their customer service (as do most online retailers, for reasons that don't really make sense to me).

The DVDtalk forum keeps a reference thread for contact info for online stores. That is located here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=339191

Due to the nature of the site it's mostly sites that sell DVDs, but there is some crossover for sites like Amazon that sell a broad variety of stuff. It's a very handy thread, I keep it bookmarked and have referenced it on more than one occasion when I couldn't find a phone number for someone.

9. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Ditto. Amazon were always good to me. I did had however problems with UPS. Twice I had shipment coming through UPS (With TF classics) and twice it looked like a cow chewed out the box. Since I keep my classics MISB I was pissed that some of the toy's packages were dented.

And another story about UPS:
    My wife had to rush deliver some documents to a University in Canada. So we went to a UPS store and they were very nice and helpful. We needed a 24hrs shipment. Anyhow, after 24hrs she gets a phone call from the University, saying the documents did NOT arrive yet! I checked at UPS website and it said that the shipment was delayed due to a malfunction with the airplane. I went there immediately, gave them my piece of mind and got a refund. Oh and by the way, it got there after 4 days...
    Go figure...

10. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

This is a very helpful info. Thank you for the heads up.

*IACON prints out KidDynamite's reply and hangs on the fridge*

11. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Thanks so much, KD!

12. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

They prefer online. And it's faster than any phone call could be.

Example:

I ordered riedel brandy snifters. One was shattered upon arrival. Using the web site, I reported the problem. By the time I had repackaged the shipment up to send it back (10 minutes), I had already received an email from them stating that a replacement order had been made and was being overnighted to me free of charge. Amazing. Oh, and I didn't have to pay to send the damaged goods back. With that kind of customer service, who needs a phone number?

13. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Interesting. I can't recall any time I've gotten service that good from an email or web-based customer service. It's always the opposite, actually. Typically if I send an email to customer service, I will receive back a form letter answering the closest vaguely similar answer to my question that they had a form letter for, without specifically addressing my issue. It is usually the equivalent of those terrible troubleshooting guides in electronics manuals (Q: MY DVD player doesn't work. A: Check that the device is plugged in. Check that the device is turned on.) and doesn't actually answer anything useful. And I've never, ever received an email replying sooner than 7-8 hours...usually it's more in the 24-48 range. Once I receive the form letter I have to go back and forth with them 3 or 4 times over the course of several days just to get a simple issue sorted out. Once about a year ago an issue with Vonage stretched out for an entire month before I finally got frustrated, talked to a service rep on the phone, and got my issue resolved in 10 minutes. If I call I always get the problem sorted out immediately by speaking to a live representative. As with my Vonage experience, the back and forth explanations that might occur over several emails over several days instead occur in a few minutes. That is my preference, and seems to be the preference of most others (excepting, of course, the stores themselves, who prefer the least expensive form of customer service they can get away with).

You've obviously had a different experience, and that's fine, nothing wrong with it. alphie's husband was looking for a phone number and I was happy to be able to provide it, that's all.

14. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    well, he called them. Getting the movies for free. Man, it's still weird how we got an empty box.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I used to use Amazon a fair bit back in the Medieval days of the internet, but i've not had much time for them in recent years due to them hardely ever being the cheapest outlet anymore and the fact that thier delivery estimates no longer have any relation to reality if your ordering something that they don't have on hand.

They are still good on returns thougth, i've had no agro getting replacements and refunds from them.