What steps do you do to "restore" G1 figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, May 18, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I was just wondering, what do you guys do to restore G1 figures when you get them.

The most I have really needed to do up to this point is use rubbing alcohol to clean the figures and use reprolabels to finish them off. But wondering what else people do.

BTW, I find that the rubbing alcohol wipes and q-tips with rubbing alcohol work great.

2. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that's basically what I have been doing. I'm working on restoring my power master prime. I recently got a hi-Q for him and the JB Prime headmaster head and a set of vintage stickers fro him. He has slightly yellowed (both on his gray and blue areas) so he will be getting a peroxide bath and them I'll probably use white vinegar on his screws to take the small amount of rust out. After that I'm hoping I have a vintage PM prime with a slight modern tweek.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Remove labels
    Disassemble and clean
    Peroxide parts that need it
    Touch up paint and chrome if needed
    Reassemble, tighten joints if needed
    Add small paint upgrades if needed (stuff like eyes)
    Reprolabel

I love buying messed up G1 figures and restoring them to near new status. It's like a hobby within a hobby.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    This, almost to the letter (except retouching paint/chrome).
    If necessary, I will also buy a junker of the same figure if any parts of the best one need replacing (due to irreparable damage). I try to avoid incomplete G1 TF's, but replacement of lost accessories is also something I always look into.

5. Saurocon

Saurocon Uncle Samhain

I'm with you, MegaMoonMan: restoring G1 toys is like a hobby in itself.

I'm not as thorough as disassembling to clean or using peroxide, but I do make sure joints are tightened at least. I will tinker with internal mechanisms on occasion, like my Twin Twist's eccentric pull-back motor, and I will fabricate missing parts as needed and as far as my noob skills will allow me. I'm cool with certain repairs if I have all original parts or with simple problems like broken gun posts. And, like alldarker, I'll cannibalize stuff from junkers as needed.

6. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Would you mind putting together some form of tutorial on how you:
    - Touch up paint and specifically chrome.
    I am just wondering if you strip the whole figure of it's paint then paint it. I was thinking of getting a junker sunstreaker at this point and was thinking of doing the stuff you mention. I just wonder how bad the paint looks when applied to a place where there are paint chips. How many layers do you do so it doesn't look like a divot in the paint?

Also, how do you match the paint? Some one was telling me that if I went to a hobby shop, they can match the paint there.

Also, have some questions:
    1- I am assuming the peroxide is the whitening technique. Does that last when you do that. Keep seeing reports that it actually doesn't last.
    2- Do you use Future to tighten the joints, or do you do something else?

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    For minor paint chips, I just use the closest color I have on hand and fill in the spot with as little paint as possible. It isn't as perfect as a whole strip and repaint (if you want perfect paint that's your only option) but it looks way better than chips. For chrome I use a silver paint pen. It works almost perfectly on worn edges, but if there's huge areas of chrome gone I use foil sticker sheeting.

It is the whitening technique. It lasts forever as far as I know, never noticed one yellow again. I use super glue for joints usually, sometimes paper, whatever I have on hand that works.

My general rule for buying loose G1 is to look for good paint. Paint can be a pain, everything else can be fixed fairly easily.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  8. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Same here!

9. Optronix1087

Optronix1087 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Buy reissues. J/K

10. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I do that too. It comes down to being cheap, really. If I can buy a figure for $15 and restore it I will choose that over a $40 reissue or whatever.

Sometimes you just have to go reissue, though. It helps that I generally don't care about stuff like robot mode guns that have no place to go in alt mode.

11. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    For me I slowly do what others are doing,but instead of replacing worn stickers I just leave the place bare,and to be honest I think some transformers look better without stickers (tho not all).

12. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The most restoration I've done on G1 figures is a thorough cleaning (usually windex or something similar), stripping the stickers, Goo Gone for the residue, a gentle soap and water washing, then reprolabels.

I've done plenty of custom painting, just never on a G1 figure.

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Unless the figure has totally ruined stickers or is way dirty i do not restore beyond a light cleaning as to me , the wear and tear on the figure shows its history.

14. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I've used the peroxide treatment on a couple of figures, they have both yellowed REALLY badly afterwords. My Jetfire it looked GREAT right after, but a little more than a year later, he's almost mustard yellow.

15. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here, although mine is still somewhat whitish, it is definitely more yellow than it was right after the treatment...I used 3% peroxide. What did you use? I tried to get some of the stronger stuff (6%) at a beauty supply store but didn't come up with anything.

MIKE
    engledogg

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

to prevent cracking/restore rubber, a few months ago I went around with a dish of armor-all and a q-tip and coated all of the rubber tires of my figures. especially G1 and RID have tons of rubber tires. it was quite an undertaking, but made a huge difference!

17. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I don't remember what the percentage was, but it was the stronger stuff from Sally's Beauty Supply. They looked spectacular when they first came out, but the yellow REALLY stands out next to the white metal bits on the legs.

I used regular household peroxide on a G1 Ramjet, and the same thing happened.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I wouldn't recommend using alcohol on TFs, as alcohol can remove paint. A Q-tip and a resevior of soapy water does the trick for light cleaning :) 

19. Saurocon

Saurocon Uncle Samhain

Great tip! Any suggestions on repairing tires/treads that have already split?

20. kaszal

kaszal Well-Known Member

I tested some Novus No.2 on the bonnet my RTS Windcharger.

Takes out fine scratches nicely but probably not suitable for painted areas.

[​IMG]