What started your collecting passion?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Envy52295, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Envy52295

Envy52295 Decepticon Muscle Bot

Ebay:
    Hey guys! I just wanted to know what made you guys become collectors? Was it an awesome figure or just the love of Transformers? I like asking these questions because i like to get to know fellow collectors. Thanks a lot guys! What made me love collecting was Both a favorite toy (Transmetal Cheetor) and the fact that i LOVE TRANSFORMERS!

2. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    A hot, steamy night with Generations Drift.

3. Hothouse Prime

Hothouse Prime Not old... Just older.

The Classics Ultra Magnus vs. Skywarp pack. I would occasionally pick up a "cool looking" figure that made me nostalgia, and that's the reason I picked up this set. They languished in a box for a couple of years until the FansProject City Commander set came out. Once I had that for Magnus, it was all down hill from there. One wall of my office is floor-to-ceiling Classics (I hate the CHUG designation) and 3P product, with a few odds and ends thrown in, but if I hadn't picked up and stored that 2-pack I wouldn't be such a collector today. Now if I could only go back and buy the other 20 sets that were on clearance that day...

4. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    i had some toys in 2007-2008 but i didnt became a official collector till 2009

5. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When alternators came out and I picked up silverstreak on a shelf at Walmart.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    first start, my brother giving me g1 prowl.

restart: finding a cheap trailbreaker, and a couple months later....alts

7. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Human Alliance line. I'd always kinda-sorta kept tabs on what Transformers toys were doing, having grown up with G1/G2, but it was a nostalgia thing, and I didn't buy stuff. Then I decided to spring for HA Bumblebee because I thought the gimmick looked interesting, and four years later I have a couple hundred TFs.

8. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Hasbro MP-01...saw him at my friends house...did some research on the internet...saw that Silverstreak was about to come out...and it just went from there.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I was a fan ever since I was a kid. grew up on G1. Loved it all through Beast Wars. Didn't like Beast Machines at all, show or toys, so I got out. sold everything. It didn't last long. I saw some of the RID toys online, had a passing interest. What got me back in? RID Optimus Prime. Not just the design, but the transformation. Specifically, the transformation on the show. something about it really caught my attention. art, animation, the rhythm of the transformation and combination sequence, it just hit all the right buttons for me. I went out, and I bought a RID Optimus Prime. He was the first transformer in my "new" collection.

10. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 Grimlock, G2 Starscream, G2 Swindle, and G2 Blastoff. As a kid, these were some of my favorite toys and I never parted with G2 Swindle. Really, I loved that figure and still do.

11. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    I loved my first Transformers and played with them to bits, but it wasn't just a "collecting" passion back then, I just loved Transformers and the toys and loved getting more to throw around (for me Cybertron was really awesome, the toys got really cool). I think the passion for collecting came about after seeing the 2007 movie... seeing Transformers on the big screen made me really want to have everyone in the cast so I could display them together. Since then it's really taken off and I try to complete casts and pay attention to what everyone else says is cool, being an on-and-off completionist as time goes by (although there's still a lot of stuff I don't buy).

I still remember seeing those on clearance at Target when the 2007 movie toys were coming out... I had a set in my hands and was thinking of buying it.. it was like $15 or so.. unfortunately it was just before I starting major collecting and I had no idea what it would be worth.. and I put it back in favor of movie toys I believe..

Still kick myself over that today. :lol 

12. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    Armada Optimus, I had a few BeastWar toys that I didn't really care about but was still in love with the transformers franchise since I was like only very young when I knew about Beast Wars. During Armada I knew the character Optimus prime very well and like all young-lings we all love Optimus Prime...So my mom bought me him as B-day and I exploded with happiness. So I started collecting after I got him, It was when I got Cybertron Optimus Prime and Leobreaker as a Christmas gift from Chuck-e-Cheez (If you lived in New-Hampshire and worked at Summit Packaging you will know what I'm talking about). Back on topic...So yeah I didn't seriously start collecting all kinds of transformers until I had Armada/Cybertron Optimus Prime, and leobreaker.

13. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Cybertron Supreme Starscream jump started it for me.

14. paxtoprime94

paxtoprime94 The Hero

technically started collecting when I was a little kid when TF: Armada came out (but I was little so of course I'd be buying Transformer toys) (my first TF ever was an Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Optimus Prime) but then I kinda became uninterested in Transformers after Armada and sorta got back into it with Cybertron but not that much; I didn't become a forreal collector until Christmas 2007, when I got a bunch of figures from the TFTM 2007 line from family members and "Santa" just cause I liked the movie so much, and I played with those figures so much that they got me back into collecting Transformers. At this time I thought myself too old for toys but I was still in middle school so idk but I collected some other stuff, too, mostly Pokemon. After a while my other collecting passions died down as I matured and grew up, but I never stopped collecting Transformers, JUST CUZ THEY'RE SO AWESOME! So now I'm 18 and still going strong as a Transformer collector. One other reason is just because I love the Transformers as a franchise and all the stories within it so much, especially G1, Movieverse, and TF: Prime

as a kid, though, I fucking LOVED Armada Blurr; I still have him, and he's got some wear and tear from where I played with him and my friends who also had Transformers at the little after-school program we had called like extended day or something

15. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Either Geewun Prime or Devastator.

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I sparingly bought a few Armada and Energon figures, but never got too into them.

Bought a few Classics when they came out, but money was tight.

The Universe picked up where Classics left off. I had a job, the space, and the will. I picked up nearly the entire rest of the Classics that I had missed out on within two months of that, along with joining these boards.

Then I went through the depression I call "Revenge of the Fallen" and decided I was going to swap the entirety of my Classics collection over to Takara's Henkei (and later United) versions.

17. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you really want to know... ok, well here it is..

I was into the cartoon and toys as a kid, but I grew up and my mom slowly threw them all away and I forgot about them.

Then some time after I graduated from HS my little brother was sitting there playing with polar claw? the polar bear from BW and I told him that it's not a REAL transformer. His reply was, yes they are and they have their own TV show. So after that I started watching it and it was pretty cool, then I lost interest. The characters I liked the most was RATTRAP and then Rhinox, I loved those two.

It was a couple of years later, I had to have been tripping on ACID one night and went to Wal-Mart with friends, and came home with quite a few BW figures mostly TM1 and TM2. I then found RiD and was like awesome, so between the selling and doing weed and ACID, I ended up buying the entire US line short of the Kaybee Toys Exclusives, since I didn't know they existed.

At some point I found the re-issues for Rodimus, PM Op, Ultra Magnus, and Star Scream at Toys R Us and kept checking back, and was told by the employees there that the line was canceled, so I just stopped hunting them down. Had I known they were just starting, I would have kept going back for them until I had the entire line.

I ended up just checking out Wal-Mart and such, when I was out but, stopped the hunt. I continued to pick up the odd and end one's I liked up until BM's and Armada/Animated or something came out, I hated all 3 lines so... I passed on the Alternators since they just didn't look like what I knew Transformers to be. I did want the Unicron Armada that was out but wasn't going to pay that price for it.

I then forgot about it all until the Movie line came out, however I didn't like anything I saw on the shelves until ROTF came out and I picked up Voyager Prime, then eventually DOTM Barricade, and a Generations WFC Soundwave then that was it until...

Last Christmas my wife and kids got my DOTM Ultra Optimus and Leader Sentinel and my son got a couple of deluxes as well and I've been back in collecting since.

18. Envy52295

Envy52295 Decepticon Muscle Bot

Ebay:
    I loved everyones responses but this one touches my heart a bit more.. Awesome story :thumbs2: 

19. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Growing up poor, didn't have a lot of G1 stuff, though getting Powermaster Optimus Prime for Christmas in '88 was a happy day indeed. Really it was in G2 and the newer figures that came with it. Dreadwing, Hero Prime and Megatron, later Laser Optimus, and the rest. Beast Wars was at first meh, but I ended going in and getting almost all but the same character repaints. Then Car Robots/R.I.D. came along and I was truly hooked.

20. AMG

AMG Old School

I became a fan back in 1984 and started loving all things Transformers. My collecting slowed down as I grew older and my interests shifted. Walking into TRU and seeing G2 Optimus Prime and Dreadwing (I bought both on sight) reignited my passion for the hobby.