What should the previous generation just shut up about?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, May 1, 2006.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Okay, now I know we're not all the same age, but the majority of the people that frequent these boards range between late teens and late twenties - It seems like the average spectrum is maybe people from age 18 to age 28. Even though we're leaving some of the 30-year-olds and some of the under-18-year-olds, that's a 10-year period - enough to, in my opinion, define a "generation."

Leading me to my point...

Our generation has had it pretty nice - we got the evolution of video gaming, a nice period of near-world-peace during the late 90's, the end of the Cold War, cable television truly coming into its own, etc.

However, with every development and change in the years that, I'd say, define our generation, our parents, guardians and superiors (and like-aged members of the previous generation) have always had warnings for us or a "do as I say, not as I do" caveat attached to all of their stories.

...so what does the generation before us - the baby boomers - need to honestly just shut up about and recognize that we're different from them?

I'll go first - I'd really love it if the previous generation would shut the fuck up about the 60's and the 70's being "soooo different." Stories about how so-and-so was "Oh man, such a party animal and a wild child during the 60s" come up a lot at my family's social gatherings, and they're always followed by the caveat, "But, of course, that was a completely different time. Nobody would be able to get away with that now." Often, these stories involve someone who, during the 60's and the 70's, was either drug-addled or a revolutionary peace activist or a drunkard, did something really stupid and "out of sight!" but now they're a very successful such-and-such.

I honestly hate this. Masking over the stupid tales of debauchery and idiocy with "oh, but that was such a different time" makes no difference to me whatsoever. Why don't they just say "oh, but he/she was such an idiot back then," and get it done with? I've been drunk before. I've done retarded shit before. It's not because the 90's were such a different time, it's because I wanted to be a drunk retard at that place and time.

2. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

The lack of drive and motivation that my generation (X I suppose) has compared to them (the baby boomers) and how we haven't had to work as hard as them.

They are by and large absolutely correct of course, I'm just tired of hearing it.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Baby Boomers? Their damn sense of self-importance. They bought all that ego-boosting marketing hook, line and sinker. They suck.

4. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

I wish they'd stop blaming video games, movies and music for their lousy parenting.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Good Thread!

Baby Boomers have this real problem with the new generations being lazy and disrespectful. This, to me, it the most irritating thing about the BB.
    BB were the first generation to not participate in a Major war for some time. Intern they have developed a gigantic middle class and, IMO, have developed this increased commercialization in our society.
    If we are lazy, it is there fault.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    First off, I agree with you entirely - I'm also really tired of hearing this garbage. Motivation and drive when it comes to work is, in my opinion, directly proportional to how much you want to make and the lifestyle you want to live.

However, one thing I don't think the boomers really understand is that the job environment has changed an awful lot. Service and labor, which is often the basis for the "you don't work as hard as we did," comparison, is just not a primary component of the American labor force anymore. Integral, yes, but not primary. Although we still have to make our happy meals here in the US, a lot of stuff that Americans buy (that would require a larger service industry) comes from China, Mexico, etc.

...So, yeah, it's really frustrating to try and point out to them, "Well, the whole atmosphere of American labor has changed," only to have it spat back in your face as "Awwww, y'just don't work as hard as we do."

Jesse Ventura once said, "I used to make a living with my body. Now I do it with my mind." I think that's apt here, if you compare the boomers with us.

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Aww, you took my answer

8. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

Ditto for me too.

People are messed up from the beginning. Video games/movies/music etc. is just a lame excuse for these freaks.

9. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

nevermind.

10. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I wish that they would abandon their political correct, feel good, you're ok, I'm ok, hippy bullshit.

The problem, as I see it, is that the hippy movement of the late 60's and early 70's was about destroying the authority base of American society. They began questioning everyone around them, which at times can be good, but became terribly detrimental to the cohesiveness of the country.

So they decided to buy into existential crap that said that they cannot count on anyone but themselves, and they have to ascribe their own meaning to the world. Then they had kids. And they didn't want to be too strict or discipline their kids because they feared being placed in the role of authority that they have rejected for so long. Instead, they focus on letting the individual "grow" and be their own person. Which in turn led the kids to do whatever they pleased and show the same lack of respect for authority as their parents have, but for different reasons.

Because of the hippy parents not wanting to make their children feel sad or impede them as a person, we now have kids who run wild, get high, drunk, kill people, and the parents wonder why. What do they do? Instead of recognizing that they have failed to uphold the authority they have, they try to turn it and attack other authorities, which is what they do best.

In closing, I hate those goddamn dirty hippies.

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Or, if they're hippies who are successful boomers, they just keep supporting the kids, even if the kid has decided to show absolutely no inclination for taking care of his/herself. I know enough "whatever" folks from high school, in my neighborhood, who STILL live at home and don't have an ounce of motivation in them - they spend their time well...getting drunk or high and leeching money off of their parents. And the parents are fine with it. I should also note that I live in a pretty upper-middle class neighborhood. One would think that these near-adults (they're about the same age as me, 24-25) would get off their lazy asses and go try college or a job or something, but no! They're still getting an "allowance," so why should they care?

However, I've seen this both here in my neighborhood and at college, where the variation on the story is "successful parents send child to college, child smokes and drinks all the time, child fails out of school, parents continue to support him." - Is this a result of the easygoing 60's-70's era of acceptance? ...or is it just bad parenting?

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Baby Boomers are soft parents. Proven fact. They lack the spine for discipline. And then they can't even own up to the lazy children they raised.

13. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Yes, the political correct BS and the idea that it's never anyone's fault. I'm big on personal responsibility and that just pisses me off to no end.

I'm also sick of hearing how "UNIQUE" they were. Fuck off, you weren't that special. They also think they're entitled to everything. Ugh.

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    QFTFingT...

15. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pokécon

Not so much of an older generations, but I think the 80's nostalgia is among my age group (early 20's) is wearing pretty thin. I loved the NES, Disney Afternoon and TMNT and all of that, but I'm sick of how every other new post in the General Discussion forum is about a Transformers referance in some TV show or webcomic. If it's not LOL dancin' Soundwave, it's LOL Optimus Prime is Jewish...

16. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ding ding ding!

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Eh, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one. One of the primary attractions of this board - at least, to me - is celebrating the culture our generation grew up with. It's familiar to us and, as a result, seeing acknowledgement of it in modern day television and film feels, well, sorta "validating," in that the subcultures we like are "validated" as "acceptable" by the total media culture.

Or, in English - we came for the Transformers, we stayed for the chatting. When Transformers shows up in the news, we geek out and we like it. New folks to the boards and relative outsiders to Transformers will most commonly recognize Dancing Soundwave or Optimus Prime on Transformers and associate it with one of us in real life (or here on the boards.) I think that's an unfortunate constant, my friend.

18. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd be happy enough if I never heard another person in that age group say something to the effect of "Oh, I'm just no good with those things" when it comes to computers and such (almost always a way of getting you to do something for them that they don't feel they need to take the time to learn to do for themselves).

19. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    OH MY GOD YES. If Boomers have between 20+ to 40+ years left in this lifetime, why don't they just suck it up and learn how to use the damn piece of technology? Computers are virtually ever-present in society at this point; avoiding computers (or learning to use them) is about the centennial version of claiming cars are a fad.

20. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you guys are confusing the baby boomer parents with those that had kids in the 80's, etc. My parents are baby boomers and are in their early 60's. We had it easier than they did, but I don't think parents from this generation were "soft". At least not as soft as parents today that are in their 30's and 40's. Oh shit.. I just realizied that I'm a 30 something parent. :lol 

Twenty somethings and 80's nostalgia? How can it be nostalgia when you guys either weren't born or too young to remember it? Until you wore polyester pants and had a original ET lunch box, you can't talk about 80's nostalgia.