What should Paramount do after Bumblebee's success?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Theoutcast87, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    You're the one claiming they're going to make a sequel to a film that emphasized a full decade of criticism of Transformers films was fully warranted and despite making $600 million plus worldwide, still lost Paramount over $100 million.

The market DOES NOT EXIST for the film you're talking about happening now, let alone a decade from now. And it's only going to get even smaller as time goes on as people's tastes change. Paramount needs to make films that make money. And TLK underscored the line that establishes the bay films can no longer be profitable.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Miyaren

Miyaren Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow you come across as someone who is frantically trying to enforce your opinion down as facts it is actually kind of scary
    Check my post again...i didn’t claim; I stated my opinion and said they “might as well” not “they r going to”.
    I just don’t see what you posted as anything other than opinion especially the paramount wanna bury it part.
    I fully recognise what I say is my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  3. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I think the difference is that those franchises have much bigger fanbases. The Transformers franchise has a relatively small fanbase, and not all of them are even fans of the movieverse. With something like Star Wars or Jurassic Park, the average person knows and loves those characters and stories. I'm not really sure Transformers will be in a position to play on people's nostalgia. Even if it happened, I'd expect it to disregard the sequels entirely and only act as a legacy sequel to the first film (considering that's the only one the average person might have some nostalgia for). Even that probably won't happen, considering the state of Shia LaBeouf.

4. Miyaren

News Credits:
    Labeef seems ok now...I have been following his work out of curiosity and he is filming small indie stuff and nothing too crazy these days

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Oh, yeah, sure, because Paramount is so looking forward to capitalizing on the popularity of The Last Airbender soon.

Except no, because that film was shit, few people liked it, and making a sequel would be financial suicide.

This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of pure economic sense. TLK lost money. Why in god's name would Paramount make more of something that loses money intentionally and isn't an ironic take on The Producers? That's why Bumblebee is so different in the first place - so it wouldn't be another Bay film!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Miyaren

News Credits:
    Wait are you really trying to compare the bayverse to the last air bender? Okkkkkk
    As for why would they make sequels to things that lost money? Becos they need proven franchises even if the last one flopped
    Both Star Trek into darkness and Beyond flopped and lost money but They still actively tried to make Star Trek 4 until the leads walked....

Also as a suggestion obviously what I have to say is nothing you wananhear...so I just suggest you leave my posts alone. There is no need trying to enforce your opinion on me. It make a you look like a troll....

• Like Like x 2
  7. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean everyone wants to try capitalise on The Last Airbender, it's why we have a live action remake that's coming on Netflix.

So okay... You made your point about the sequel to TLK never going to happen. Guranteed, it won't... So what's the officer, problem? The Bay stuff is pretty much over by a marketing standpoint. We're moving onto stuff like the animated Cybertron movie which I'm looking forward to or who's behind the Optimus Prime movie and what's the story for it?

Geez... You've been broken so bad. I feel sorry for you.
    "Manically laughing as the Bayverse Burns"

Also wouldn't it be easier if you just easy to use this image of the Joker to emphasise your state of torment instead of photoshopped flames being pasted onto a ruined image of Woody? No offence.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Because Paramount tried pulling cost-cutting bullshit and the leads weren't having any of it - rightfully so.

I wasn't aware 'things you don't like to hear' is now universally trolling, nor the absence of a handy little function called 'the ignore list'. Just put me on it and you never need to see me again.

The remake that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with M. Night? Like, the old TLA film was written, directed, and produced by that guy so the fact he isn't involved at all automatically means it's going to be better on exponentially extremely high levels. Because it won't bastardize the source material like M. Night did.

I was specifically talking about a sequel to the bay films. The stuff coming out that you mention, so long as it isn't tied to that bullshit, is completely unrelated as far as I'm concerned.

...are you serious?

After god knows how many discussions, you seriously think I'm in despair over the bayverse GETTING EXACTLY WHAT IT DESERVES?

I thought EVERYBODY was well aware of how damn much I hate Age of Extinction to the point it outstrips TLK as my pick for the worst bayformers film. Those two films ruined everything good about the films as far as I care and watching the bayverse get absolutely shit on by Bumblebee's widespread praise and the fact it did eke out a box office victory in the end is vindication overdue for years.

Bayverse is shit. And the shit is being taken out because it failed and I'm laughing because in the end, I was right while quite a few people seem to be in disbelief that TLK actually shit the bed hard enough that the films are abandoning their precious little bullshit continuity.

I'm not laughing in despair, I'm laughing out of the pure 100% schadenfreude coming out of Bayformers having been rendered nothing but a complete joke out of the film that was supposed to save it, while Bumblebee goes back to the roots like they should have from the start and, surprise, it was profitable.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Miyaren

News Credits:
    I said it makes you look like a troll...and your reply just reinforces this.
    Didn’t even read a lot of what you wrote because I am a little concerned about your state of mind.
    Can you like...chill?

• Like Like x 2
  10. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is correct. No creative input from M Night.

My point is however, that TLA is capitalizable franchise, so anyone is willing to properties the show and even then Paramount probably would have still had a hand in it by going a different direction.

Rest easy...It's not going to happen. Don't worry about what producers have to say, they know by heart they're headed to the reboot direction. It's why I also never bought Amy Pascal's explanation that Venom takes place in the MCU.

There may be references to the older films, but that don't mean it's part of the same series. Does that mean for example some of the stuff in Into the Spiderverse with Peter Parker is proof that it takes place in the Raimi verse?

There's no difference however. Twisted by the dark side, you are.

Let the past die. Move on.

And wow, in an alternate timeline you would have said something like Bumblebee is a bomb or a flop because yadda yadda yadda.

11. Cyborgraptor

Cyborgraptor Well-Known Member

With G.I. Joe and Micronauts hitting theaters in 2020, I feel that's where Hasbro/Paramount may focus on for now. I can see them building there smaller brands up in films and then releasing there next Transformers film as a bridge to gather there other properties together to form the Cinematic Universe they're somewhat planning.

I can see it now, After G.I. Joe, Micronauts, ROM, M.A.S.K, and Transformers, Paramount Pictures presents:

"Revolution"
    coming summer 2025

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Letting Transformers sit for a bit and then coming back with a full reboot wouldn't be a bad idea.

Bumblebee left people with a pretty positive feeling towards Transformers so why not let that good feeling peculate for a bit. Let Bumblebee enjoy some time in the home entertainment market because you know how kids will watch something hundreds of times.

Not rushing into the next film would also give Paramount more time for their rebranding effort. Transformers ended up as sort of the poster child for the old bad leadership so maybe Paramount needs a new flag ship for a bit. A chance to show that the studio isn't going to shove out Transformers movie after Transformers movie in the hopes that somehow an expanding Chinese box office could save the studio every time. Paramount needs to show it can be more than just Mission Impossible and Transformers.

While Bumblebee was a good movie I feel like they really need that hard reboot if they want to put any taint of the Bayverse behind them. It's kind of like when Batman had to break from the previous films or when Spider Man needed a new start to completely wipe the bad stuff away. With reboots a common thing in modern entertainment it's not like people are going to turn on the studio for doing the thing that is working for other studios.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Sablebot

Sablebot #thinkitaintillegalyet

Amen! It's a sad (and that's putting it lightly) statement about today's world when critical non-herdish thinking is considered trolling. . .

• Like Like x 2
  14. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

A couple suggestions

1. Cut all continuity ties with the Bayverse films.
    No more of this "soft reboot/ambiguous continuity" crap. Reboot it and be clear about it. The only film worth tying into is Bumblebee, and if they're going to insist it's a TF2007 prequel - so be it, cut ties with all of them and just start completely fresh.

2. Let Bumblebee speak, and stop taking away his basic functions.
    It's cheap, it's gimmicky, it kills all potential for interesting lines and dialogue, and it's worn out. Just let him communicate like a normal character instead of going BLEEP BLOOP BLEEP like some reject Star Wars droid.

3. Make good movies that are indicative of what Transformers is typically like.
    Obviously, the movies need to be actually good and be well managed, it won't do any good if a reboot ends up like Fant4stic or Power Rangers 2017. The primary appeal of Transformers is the war between groups of good and evil robots, that's what I want to see.

• Like Like x 7
  15. xolta

xolta Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you. I think marketing bee as a continuation of the bay brand is hurting it and hurting the brand over all. People see tf movies and they dont think quality. I dont get why people defend bay, boney, paramount's damage to the transfromers name.

• Like Like x 3
  16. drbeakman

drbeakman Well-Known Member

Yes to all 3!!!

So true!

My friend has a monthly theatre pass thingy, where you can watch any movie you want in 3D, imax, or anything, for free! So she watches pretty much every movie that comes out just to make the most of the pass. That being said, she deliberately avoided Bumblebee, thinking it was going to be the same feel as the previous five bayformers movies. She's not a TF fan, as such didn't realize it was taking a totally different angle. Now that I raved about how good it was, she cant even go see it! Too late, it's been pulled from theatres, so I'm really sad.

Anyways, imagine avoiding a movie that you can see for free, just because of previous associations? I wouldn't be surprised if this is something a lot of people in the west felt, and why it didn't do the greatest domestically...

• Like Like x 7
  17. CorePrime

CorePrime Well-Known Member

Wait two to three years and come back with "The Transformers" – a sequel to Bee but an accessible "starting point" for general audiences.

• Like Like x 7
  18. drbeakman

drbeakman Well-Known Member

I love the idea of "THE transformers". Like, THE definitive. That would be such a cool way to reboot

• Like Like x 2
  19. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

Totally agree with those wanting a reboot. No more of this teenage drama, mute baby face/pet dog robot crap. I liked 2 of the bay movies TF2007 and DOTM but the Bayverse has run it's coarse.

• Like Like x 3
  20. fu2kimus

fu2kimus Well-Known Member

If Knights not available, then hire another talented director that has his own visual style. Add one or two to the number of robots, go for a slightly bigger scope with the action scenes without going all out bayhem(yet). Don’t care too much about what continuity it’s in, retcon whatever they want as long as it’s fun. Go in any kind of art direction with the bots as the director sees fit, but leave Bumblebees general look the way it’s always been in live action.

Do this in perhaps 4 years time, and don’t bother with the animated cybertron stuff in between. And don’t let Lorenzo be the spokesperson. That’s what I’d do!

• Like Like x 1