What should I use: G1, Movie or original continuity?

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by D_usk, Jan 20, 2011.

1. D_usk

D_usk Stealer of Racks of Lamb!

NOTE: If this question belongs in the fan fiction section, I'll understand if it's moved. I wasn't sure where to put it.

I've decided to write a crossover fanfic using Transformers and the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion (however, for the latter, I will use original characters because the cast in NGE is all full of loopy-heads). However, I'm sort of stuck on which continuity I should because some have certain elements that would fit with NGE perfectly (ex. plot etc.). This dilemma has been on my mind for a while, that I can't sleep (It's 12:40 AM here). After eliminating those I felt were "unfit" for the crossover, I have come up with three options: G1, the movies or an original continuity of my own design. But, some of the said continuities have pros that would match with NGE and cons that wouldn't fit. Here's what I mean (please take every detail into consideration):

G1

Pros:
    - It was the very thing that started it all
    - The animations make it easier to imagine scenes for the story, given that NGE was 2-D as well (I think)
    - Excellent story plot

Cons:
    - Too lighthearted (as in 'kid-friendly') compared to NGE
    - WAY TOO BIG of a cast

Movies

Pros:
    - The seriousness of the plot is very appropriate for crossing over NGE
    - Character situations felt more realistic
    - I may have a plot in mind

Cons:
    - It's live action where as NGE is an anime. It would be very awkward to imagine scenes for the story unless I imagine NGE as a live action series as well
    - Not enough story due to too many explosions
    - Not enough Autobots (although, I could probably fix that)

Original continuity

Pros:
    - Gives me freedom to manipulate things to fit with NGE
    - Could probably add elements of both the continuities above

Cons:
    - It would take too long for me to come up with ideas on making it "original"
    - Not many people seem to read original continuities

Oh! And if you're wondering what Neon Genesis Evangelion is, it's about a boy who's recruited by the military faction known as NERV in order to combat a grotesque race called "Angels" using EVA units (or Evangelions) which are essentially Gundams that are actually giant cyborgs.

Here is a wiki on it.
    Here is a bunch of clips put together to the music to the series' opening theme. WARNING: It contains rather graphic imagery in terms of violence (and some, but very little, adult content).

I would greatly appreciate your opinions. I may not post the story on TFW2005 forums because the plot contains things that are part of NGE and not Transformers. However, it will be on fanfiction.net.

Thank you for your time.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Moving for you. I think you'll get a better quality of feedback here.

3. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

I'd say no crossover. The tone of NGE and the Transformers franchise as a whole are too far removed. Teenage angst, extreme violence and psychological issues have no place in Transformers, and fun, goofy robot antics have no place in NGE - even the movies, while darker, still don't take themselves very seriously. NGE is extraordinarily f***ed up. Transformers shouldn't be.

Transformers and G.I. Joe have had crossovers not only because they're Hasbro properties and tend to share a universe, but also because they're very similar in tone and writing style. I wouldn't recommend a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles \ A Clockwork Orange crossover...

If you really want an NGE crossover with another robot show, it could work with something like the UC Gundam universe (which it is a de-construction of). Even then, Gundam tends to be hard Sci-fi while Eva is just... strange. I'd love to see how Kamille Bidan would react to Shinji, though. It would probably involve Shinji getting punched a lot.

4. D_usk

D_usk Stealer of Racks of Lamb!

As said before, I'm not using the characters of NGE because, as you said, there's too much angst and there's a lot of psychotic characters. Plus, I was planning to tone down the violence and psychological issues.

But I do see your point in not crossing them over and will take your advice into consideration. Thank you for being honest. :) 

5. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If anything, original continuity.

6. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Then why make a crossover with NGE at all? If you remove the characters and the violence and angst (you'd have to remove or vastly change NERV since they perpetrate a lot of it) what have you got left besides the 'angels' that makes it a NGE story?

Also, just because the G1 show was lighthearted doesn't mean you have to go that way - the comics have had plenty of dark, serious tales, and fanfic writers have taken them to dark places, too.

--Moony

7. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

Well, if you do that, you're pretty much taking out the whole point of NGE. Eva is all about psychological issues and heavy handed religious imagery. It's basically Freud: The Animated Series.