Customs: What should I do!?!?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by REDLINE, Dec 24, 2005.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I picked up a pair of model cars in 1:25 scale today. They're for a future commission kitbash of the character in my signature, REDLINE. The first model is a 2004 Pontiac GTO in red. The second model I got is a 2005 Pontiac GTO Drift car. I got this one for a few different reasons. The first and foremost reason was that since its a 2005, it has the hoodscoops on it. The second and nearly as important is because RL has the "sports appearance package" which includes a different spoiler and an enhanced air intake molded into the front bumper. As you can see in the following photograph, the drawings on the box show these traits quite clearly! My problem arises in that I opened them up to check that all parts seemed to be there so that I could exchange them if necessary while still in the store's 30 day return policy, when I found out that the piece that is the bumper and air intake for the drift car, its clearly quite different!! I studied this piece, and it IS one single piece, including the slotted air vent that lets you see through it, its merely painted. So my question is, do I wait till Tuesday to call the company about this, or is it no real big deal cause it would merely need to have the "bar" underneath the air intake to be trimmed off? The second pic is of a real car with this "sports appearance package for comparison to what I'm striving to replicate. Please keep in mind that RL is a decepticon made from Hot Rod and Springer, and made to resemble HotRod as close as possible as a slap in the face to the autobots... which is why I had felt that the oversized version of the drift car would still be appropriate even if its not spot-on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advice would be more than welcome!!

Andy

2. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I highly admire your determination to make such a kitbash/custom from an already excellent digibash.

As for the discrepancy with the part, I'd say whip out the 'ol dremel and epoxy modeling stuff if you didn't pay much for the model and carefully remove it and rebuild it. If, to ensure a high level of quality for the commission, then I might consider contacting the company. If it was me, I'd honestly try to make sure the character was as accurate as possible. If one is available, I might even suggest, for consistency and interchangability of parts a 1:24 scale Pontiac GTO, with the "sport" appearance package. This would, with careful cutting and pinning where necessary, an almost seemless interchangability between the shell of Jazz and your character since they share many of the same mechanisms.

I can understand though that it may not be available, since a scale 1:24 2003-2004 Tundra is not available in stock form.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    yeah... the 2004 and this new drift car '05 are the only modern GTOs that I've been able to find anywhere, online or no. These are 1:25, but I asked around a month or so back and everyone said this scale should work fine since the GTO is a slightly bigger car than the RX-8 is. I guess I can call the company on Tuesday and see what they say, regardless if it can be salvaged or not, because it would be one less thing to have to deal with in kitbashing it!

Andy

4. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pffftt Get a real car..... A FORD :ev: 
    I told you i race one of those every day :lol 

Seriously good luck dude!

5. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

I have no advice, your good at this stuff. It's obvious that it will rock.

Good luck!

6. dragontron88

dragontron88 Your new Lord, & Master

F-O-R-D

Found On Road D ead

Fix Or Repair D aily

7. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Well, I'm not a big GM (after a bad experience with a Chevy S-10, and Chevy Lumina) or Ford too much. If my mother and I had our way, we would've had three Toyotas out front, instead of the Tundra (mine), my Mom's Camry and my Dad's [SOB!] Ford F-150.

With that aside, I wish you the best of luck Redline. I've seen the GTO, but it is sadly (IMHO) a poor use of a name for a glorious muscle car from years ago. As for the custom kitbash, it will look cool. Are you looking at doing a spot on part swap and combination, if possible?

8. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    seeing the GTO and judging it is wrong, driving the GTO and realizing what it drives like, its a great use of the name

and remember, back in those days, muscle cars looked like everyday cars, so i think its proper to have it look like an everyday car