What Should I Collect?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Demerge, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

Hi folks, Firstly, IF this is the wrong section to be posting this in, apologies, its late, I love my punctuation marks (ah, the comma.), and I've had this problem burning in my mind the last couple of weeks.

Right, onto the problem: In the last couple of years, i kinda got brought back into the fandom, and started collecting again, namely classics, like everyone, and the masterpiece line, with some third party editions in there and so on and so forth.
    Im now coming to the point, like many of you, where the season 1 cast is SO CLOSE to being complete. And my obsession is making me go "Buy ALL the figures!" but I kinda am thinking to myself... I don't really CARE about Trailbreaker, Hoist, Gears, and so on.. I mean, id love a decent Brawl, but i cared about that character, and actually, I do want me a Trailbreaker, but not for the reason i started collecting again.
    I started collecting due to my love for the entire g1 line (including takara AND the beast era) and in 2009, i was introduced to the IDW comics, with Last Stand Of The Wreckers. And this, for better or worse, has started me attempting a Wreckers collection. Which i have a feeling i'll be relying on iGear for... But anyway -
    I have no idea what to collect. There are still a few rare/expensive figures I'm missing (Ratchet, Smokescreen, Inferno.. ) and I'm debating on whether or not to buy igears PP series NotRatchet & NotIronhide, instead of shelling out for the CHUG, and IF i do that, do i replace my henkei OP with Faith Leader?
    I realise this is a massive wall of text. But its becoming almost stressful, which is a real shame, as i really do love collecting, and i just really dunno what to do in this situation.
    Do I:
    Finish my classics collection, buying new figures as i go, replacing older ones, until i have my complete cast, even tho i don't care about HALF the characters?

Sell most of my collection (But keep the characters I actually care about and just buy the stuff I WANT as apposed to feel I NEED) and maybe concentrate on a smaller subset, considering WFC/FOC, or iGears PP series (which, although is expensive.. their release schedule is pretty sparse.)?

Or is there an alternative i haven't thought about? I have fallen in love with the MTMTE and RID comics, so maybe.. Getting figures for the characters I care about in that?

Id appreciate any advice guys.
    Cheers!

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I just buy what I like, so...

3. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have an overall "goal" I guess with my collection. I go on a case by case, er, figure by figure, basis. Buy what you like, skip what you don't, have no regrets.

4. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    My suggestion would probably to get rid of the characters you don't care about. That's what I would do. It kind of seems you're a G1 one fan, but more interested in a modern iteration from the toys you mentioned you're interested in (WFC/PP), so yeah you might want to take a look at the characters in the IDW ongoings, but keep in mind, a lot of the characters being featured in there have been historically obscure background characters, which most likely won't really be getting any toys in that particular design. There's always hope though, since the new comics are getting a lot of love right now from the fan community, so here's hoping Hasbro takes notice and gives us some comic toys in the new Generations line.

5. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

I totally should do that, the problem is the completionist in me, I think i need to have that goal in my collection, but i am attempting to scale back.

Thanks man, thats probably what I'm gonna start doing. And your right, I am more interested in the modern iterations, as long as they are still recognisable. I mainly want the rest of the WFC line due to Bumblebees Cybertronian Alt mode in RID, I mean, I have OP and Megs, so for the other three figures.. theres at least an end to that...
    As for the obscure characters: thats almost an advantage, it'd mean id have more time to buy bigger figures, such as MP's, PP's, and so on.
    Then again, with the 40 Generations thats been quoted, we might just see a few cool figures.

On the other hand, suppose i stay with my current collection and expand, finish my pre movie cast, and then.. What? I mean, with some of the rumours (mini masterpiece line) it makes it sound like ill never be done collecting, which I'm pretty glad about. I guess id just like to focus. But I'm still torn!

Also, i know this is the ULTIMATE first world problem I'm having. But to add to that, a thought: Say i get rid of... My Tracks figure, because he's not exactly my favourite, mold suits Wheeljack better, Or for whatever other reason.. Only to have him re-appear in an upcoming issue with a new take on his character i actually end up liking, causing me to hunt him down all over again?
    I realise I've answered my own question there. Id just grab another. But with other figures, thats not always possible. I suppose i just want to be able to collect and have it feel FUN without my completionist attitude get in the way.
    Thats mainly what is leading my into the PP line, and the FOC line, because I'm at the start of them, the figures are still readily available.. and i don't think id feel the need to play catchup quite as much..
    Then again, i might be over thinking this.

Thanks for the replies tho guys!

6. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I only get what I really like and what I have room for. So I tend to stick with a select number of voyager figures and the rest being deluxe and basic transformers of the figures I like. I have no set number, just depends on if there is something I like. Sometimes I might get 20 figures in two months and other times it might be five in six months.

The main thing is to get what makes you happy and don't fall for "The best thing ever" like somes fans do. Like with RTS Windcharger, fans were just drooling over it some months ago, but I was never into it. So if you like something, get it. If you don't like something, save your money for something that you do like.

7. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Just get what you want based on character and your general opinion of a toy.

8. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sort of sounds like how I'm collecting (though TF Prime has got me sidetracked a little).

G1 season 1 and 2 is my "core" collection, when it comes to Transformers. I just pick the best iteration of any given character, which admittedly comes down to personal opinion (and budget, I suppose).

Mine's a mix of US and Japanese figures from the various Classics lines, some third party stuff, and Masterpieces when it comes to larger characters like the Seekers, Grimlock, and presumably Megatron, Soundwave and Shockwave when/if we get them. Personally, I went with Faith Leader. Henkei Prime is nice but a bit TOO much of a reimagining for me, and too small to boot. I think you can get a bare bones version from iGear now for a good price - I'd grab it if I were you. Don't bother with Henkei/Classics Ironhide or Ratchet, either. The going rate is too much - might as well preorder the iGear ones for around the same price. Plus, they kind of suck, imo.

Here's my list so far:

Henkei Prowl, Bluestreak, Smokescreen, Sunstreaker, Red Alert, Hound, Mirage (though I wouldn't mind an update on this guy), Hot Rod (ditto) and Inferno; United Jazz, Bumblebee (soon to be Goldbug), Tracks and Grapple (RTS version is just as good); Generations Wheeljack and Warpath; RTS Perceptor and Windcharger, and; MP Grimlock (US version), Starscream and Skywarp (also US, though I might upgrade these with the new mold versions).

Third party stuff: TFC's Hercbots (still need to buy the final two); iGear's Faith Leader, Conehead Seekers, Ironhide and Ratchet (preordered), Seaspray and Huffer, and; FP Insecticons (hoping to get the G1 upgrade sets being made here).

I also have Generations Kup and Blurr to round out the movie cast (and RTS Cyclonus and Generations Scourge as well, but I'd like larger MP versions of these guys if at all possible). And of course the Amazon/TRU Unicron to go with a few WST figures I got years ago.

I still need Universe/Classics 2.0 Sideswipe, a Henkei Bumblebee (or maybe wait and see what iGear does - though I'm becoming impatient! :)  ), and Generations Wreck-Gar. Also looking to get that upcoming third party Soundwave and Blaster. Probably going to wait and see what Takara does with Megatron, though.

Anyway, that's the list that works for me. Sounds like you have similar interests, so maybe it'll help? It makes for a nice, G1-focused collection display.

9. bdougwrx

bdougwrx Well-Known Member

Same here, just buy what I like. I have a few G1 figs from when I was a kid, MP Prime and Skywarp, Armada Megs, bunch of the better Cybertron and Animated figs, some movie figs and most of the Gen/RTS figs. I'll probably buy Prime WJ but the rest of the line just doesn't 'do it' for me.

I do buy all tank TF's as I have a thing for tanks :D 

10. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Demerge - if my collecting experience has taught me anything, it's that being a completionist is like chasing the horizon - you never get there, and when you do get to a milestone, the feeling you get completing a line is fleeting. The goal thus being so hard or impossible to attain, can leave you resenting your collecting experience as a whole.

At a time, i had complete BW, BM, RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron... well damn near complete. I was also working on completing G1. I found myself buying the firecons and sparkabots - simply to fill a blank in. Those toys are terrible. I thought i was going to buy up all the Micromaster bases, and link em together and make a huge city. Then i saw someone did it (and THEN SOME!!) and was not impressed. Then i thought about all the room it would take up. And how pissed my wife would be.

I know people who have no room in their closets, and have to move things off their beds to go to sleep - all because they have EVERY AMERICAN TF EVER.

I've seen pics of a complete G1 collection. It was so compressed on the shelves it inhabited that it looked like Cybertronians waiting for the subway. Very crowded. Not impressive at all.

I remember when i was close to reaching 1,000 TFs. I hit that milestone and FLEW past it. I didn't feel any different, any more accomplished. (BTW, my 1000th was Masterpiece Megatron - that's pretty cool in and of itself)

People can agree or disagree with me, but as far as *I* am concerned, and for *my* collection, being a completionist is another term for being a collecting addict. And we can banter about with terms like "plastic crack" etc, and we're being funny, but there is a very real side to this, and it can be financially and socially debilitating, if left unchecked.

I now buy what i want, and leave behind what i don't. And I enjoy my stuff much better.

Just my 2¢.

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I believe that this sums it up perfectly.
    If you're too lazy too read this, in simpler terms it explains that some people are collecting addicts, not completionists that are simply ruining their lives.

12. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

Man, thats SCARILY close to my collection, And you seem to have the same basic problem i have. Which is, to continue with a season 1 & 2 cast, and with more iterations of the same characters coming out, better in most instances, its a never ending battle!

That was actually extremely helpful. And definitely gave me more to think about. You are completely correct. especially the financially debilitating part. ;) 

This post has pretty much put things into perspective for me. I shouldn't have to worry about characters. I should just buy the ones I like, and leave the ones
    I dont. Then the characters I do care about I won't feel as bad spending a larger some of money on them.
    I will have to deal with my completionist nature, but i think it'll be better in the long run anyway!

13. JazzyHide!!

JazzyHide!! Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Demerge, first off man, I swear we had a related convasation on said topic at AA and over the phone when you were going nuts for masterpiece figures. I agree with Maximo Prime though in that being a completionist in this hobbie is never ending and be so hard to ever get that satisfaction.

My personal take on this is that Il get whatever I get the itch for or I feel is going to become hard to get,I just like having my hobbie and il continue collecting aslong as I can.I have been a fan of transformers since being a toddler with my first being g1 swerve and runamuck back in 1989. I was hooked with anything tf related until the end of beast wars when I then went to secondary school and discovered girls etc to which I Pretty much stopped playing/collecting them.

I saw the RID,Armada lines in toy shops and wasnt impressed (I bought RID X-Brawn and one of the RID construction team),it didnt really prompt me enough to go nuts again until I saw alternators Silverstreak.

That sparked and rekindled EVERYTHING I loved as a kid with transformers, it also didn't help that I wanted them all and having a rich girlfriend at the time whose mum ordered Pretty much the full line from america from a contact she had made started my hobbie madness.

I love anything transformers and have collections from every series, but for me the only line im bothered about being a completionist in is anything CHUG. I go out of my way to splash out on anything related, though in between new releases etc, I still buy whatever figure takes my fancy which unfortunately is almost al of em.

I have started slowing down but went nuts with the launch of prime and now get a couple each month until generations comes out to which il go nuts again... and at AA 2012 ofcourse ;)  (though won't be spending nearly as much as £1300 like i did in 2010)!!

Sorry it's a long read but I say stick with CHUG line and 3rd party to fill in places like the mini bots until IF and when hasbro release theirs, it seems these days if you want something after its release it becomes alot mor expensive.

14. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    i was doing the same as you decided to slim down my collection as trying to complete the cast took the fun away for me, i now have 10 figures and i think their all gems
    They are: MP8, MP10, United Jazz, Gen Wheeljack and Hercules (6 bots)
    I've also got MP11 and both PP05's on the way (paid for), ive gone from trying to get everyone to just getting the characters i like most and feel much happier with my collection now

15. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    misb afa graded japanese g1 toys

16. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All I get is G1 and G1 in mini form as far as anything new (legends and igear MW).

The other aspect is character collecting. I think Starscream I will be getting across the various platforms. I have the g1 reissue, wst, classics, and the wfc legends repaint of the energon version. I notice some people primarily collect primes or Fortress Maximus on here as well. It's a lot easier to be a character completest then a line completest.

17. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, that can be a problem. Display is key - you want a nice, well thought out look, not something that's so cluttered that you can't enjoy it.

That said, you can be a completionist and not have EVERYTHING out on display, too. Storage can be your friend. Why not rotate things in and out of display, like museums do?

But, but... is that such a bad thing?

Learn to be patient, and you'll enjoy this hobby even more. As soon as you're "satisfied" with your G1 character collection, you'll move off to something new. Just enjoy it while it lasts!

One of the other lines I'm collecting is vintage Kenner Star Wars figures - there's obviously a very finite number of figures to get, and then it's done. I never really understood why people buy whole collections. Why not space it out for a few years and enjoy collecting over a period of time? I've been going through spurts of Kenner collecting, but have put that on hiatus for the time being. If I find a good deal on a minty figure, I'll go for it, but I'm not going to stress out about not having it right now.

Know what I mean?

18. bdougwrx

bdougwrx Well-Known Member

Well, if you want to go the cheapest route possible :D 

19. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

What happens at AA, stays at AA. You know the Code.
    Wasn't long at all man. ;) 
    Theres a small section of contradiction there.. But its cool, i knew what you meant.
    I honestly think I'm going to do away with me season 1/2 cast and go for comic centric characters. Even if that means relying on Igear and the like.
    So lets hope they don't screw me over with this wreckers collection.

And ill also pick up a few favourites along the way. But i think i need to be more selective.

I think I'm going to end up with something vastly similar. For the record: How cool is Herc? Felt pretty damn accomplished when i stuck the last 'cons on him.

Cheapest eh? Hmm... You might just be onto something there..

Thats also a very good idea. Since i did mention the fact I'm starting to lament the fact I'm buying characters i don't care about. Also, i keep meaning to post on the Hench topic. I love the MW's (I'm starting to think hasbro might not be as much to blame here...)

Not at all man! It was a compliment from me to you! Haha.
    Thats almost a catch 22! But I am definitely going to take a sit back and relax about it a bit more. But I have a bit of a money situation on my way & i don't particularly want to give up my hobby. But I DO want to focus more on a specific subset (e.g.: Herc, Wreckers, Bon Jovi look a likes.) so I can still have that awesome feeling of a new figure... I actually almost wish there was a subscription service of some sort. As in, pay a certain amount each month, get x amount of figures. Sometimes you would get a great figure, other times a 'meh' figure, but at the end of it. you would have a complete, almost definitive collection. But then again... That might take the fun out of collecting!