What Should Happen to the Mutineers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mr. Chaos, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    Rereading MTMTE and it still makes me mad that so many characters happily betrayed the main cast and left them to die (even if they didn't realize it...). The only thing that is getting me through the annoyance and anger is the thought that the chickens will come home to roost and karma will come back and bite them on the tailpipes.

Which leads me to my question: What should happen to the mutineers? What should be their fate? What would you NOT want to happen to them when we get to season 3?

My biggest thing is I don't want it just handwaved away what characters like Blaster and Tidal Wave did. I don't want it to be "Oh, they did it but it's okay because they didn't speak so it's fine!" Even if they (and Getaway) never realized the DJD was on their way or that the Council would betray them... their actions still led to death and pain. That can't be brushed away.

What I personally would love to see is the Lost Light a few weeks later getting into some problem and not being able to solve it quick. Attacked by an alien force or something like that. When it to slowly dawn on the crew that they sent all their best warriors away and now are taking heavy losses. So Blaster tries to contact Cybertron for help only for Starscream to gleefully drop the bombshell: by their acts they broke the ruling of Cybertron's court and ALSO caused the death of Representative Arcee's friend (as at this point no one knows Nautica and the rest are alive) and thus are now viewed as persona non grata. Cybertron will do NOTHING to aid them and several colonies, like Cadmus, will attack them should they come near. Optimus would deliver the same decree and finally broadcast to the the crew the Last Wills and Testaments.

Suddenly Getaway and his happy band of traitors find themselves exiled and on their own with many in their own ranks suddenly feeling like they sold their birthrights for a bowl of porridge. Getaway told them how they would be heroes, how they would be celebrated for doing what Optimus couldn't... and now their home planet has exiled and people they thought would be okay died because Getaway didn't do his research. Great 'heroes' like Thunderclash find themselves suddenly realizing that by latching their wagon to Getaway's star has ensured, thanks to Starscream (and you know he loves sticking it to the autobots... I can see him rubbing his hands together as he tells them that while he understands why the did what they did the rules be the rules...)

And now Getaway, who has always run away from his problems and never gotten his hands dirty (gee, Prowl taught him so well) finds himself unable to escape. He is trapped in a situation he created and their is no easy way out. And slowly, as their numbers are picked off and they find themselves further and further pushed to the fringe of the galaxy and the weight of their betrayal and the costs press down on them... they realize that hell truly is of their own making.

...but that is just me wanting some blood.

What are your guys' thoughts? What should be their fate?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I don't really expect the narrative to 'punish' the mutineers massively - the opening of #55 made it clear that even Getaway, King Bastard, wanted the exiled Autobots to go safe and unharmed.

Though what I could imagine happening is a situation where Getaway finds out about the DJD turning up on Necroworld and its subsequent destruction, and him and his inner circle of cronies like Atomizer wind up keeping it secret from the crew to prevent another mutiny against him.

Plus, I mean, the new book is called 'Lost Light', which means the main cast is proooobably going to get back there before too long, and I can't see them, like, ejecting all the rest of the crew into space.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Very well put Jalaguy.

I don't think the narrative should punish them for doing what they did, as shitty of a thing as it was, I can still see their reasoning for it. At the end of the day Megatron has hurt many, many, many, many people, so its hard to really blame anyone for still harboring hatred towards him, especially considering how at first glance it appears he was "let off" of any real punishment. It's pretty clear that Getaway wanted the others to not be harmed, maybe he was lying (given his tendencies) but I legitimately think he's a good bot, put into a bad spot and forced (in his mind) to make some rash choices for the betterment of his kind.

The entire goal of the mutiny was to put an end to the constant "detours" and distractions and finally buckle down to find the Knights of Cybertron, which is almost altruistic, if you don't consider the personal stakes involved (Getting revenge against Megatron for all the harm he's caused and lashing out at those who would defend him even remotely, even if it's as simple as just believing he deserves to have his rights upheld and not impeded upon.)

I have a hard time believing that it's as simple as it appears on the surface.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Getaway and Atomizer are the only ones who I want to get any sort of comeuppance. The rest of the crew, I feel that some of them might come to regret their decision, and have a change of heart.

I actually have a few ideas on how this will play out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think this is what will end up happening.

I kind of imagine things will continue to get worse and worse for the Lost Light as they are ill-equipped to handle certain situations without the main cast there.

6. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

We first need to separate the crew by the main reason they went along with Getaway. If they did it because of the inclusion of Megs has Captain and believe he should be more servery punished for his crimes (and believed only he and Ravage would be harmed), then they deserve the same slap on the wrist others have gotten. If they were on the Rodimus is an idiot side and took action because they didn't like his command style then they deserve whatever they get because betrayal is not the way you take care of such things.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mr. Chaos

News Credits:
    We must be reading about different Getaways. The moment he decided to seduce an innocent bot and then trick said bot into performing a suicide mission... he lost right to being called a 'good bot'. And I think that is my problem with the mutiny... it was led by two bots who already proved themselves willing to kill innocents for their schemes. Frankly, as much as Prowl is a dick... at least he didn't callously play with the emotions of others, seducing them just to trick them into furthering his goals. Heck... as much as Megatron is vile, at least HE never did something like that. Megatron shoots you in the face... Getaway stabs you in the back while pretending to be your friend.

I can't wait for the little bastard to go crumbling down.

This is what I want. I want to see Season 3 open with the Lost Light in the middle of a battle with some group and Tidal Wave radios in for help and Blaster tells him there is no one. Someone else points out they took on worst odds and why don't they try Plan A only for Blaster to remind them that Plan A featured Magnus... and then Plan B but that had Whirl and Cyclonus... and slowly he and Perceptor go down the list and they realize that they've gotten this far thanks solely to those that they abandoned. And as the reality sinks in they hear the screams of the dying...

8. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want them to find the Knights and rude it in Rodimus face and for Getaway to go "we got scrap done because we didn't get sidetracked into dumb adventures".

• Like Like x 1
  9. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Maybe to him, one bot's feelings don't compare to the rest of their species' wellbeing. What he did to Tailgate and the others was undeniably cruel, but maybe he felt it was necessary in the long run? Maybe "good" is a strong word, but I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here.

Are you saying that Megatron's never been willing to kill innocent beings to further his own ends? We both know that's not true. Also, Prowl did play into the emotions of others, so I'm not sure what you're arguing here.

Also, in regards to Megatron never seducing innocent bots, do you remember his first interaction with Drift when he was young, homeless and just lost a close friend? Talk him into joining a movement that would warp him into a killer. Comparing Megatron's crimes to Getaway's is comparing apples to oranges, their both guilty, but without a doubt Megatron has done much, much worse. No matter how justified he may have been, he's still responsible for creating a movement which spawned some of the worst monsters their species has ever seen.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mr. Chaos

News Credits:
    If Getaway felt SO PASSIONATELY that this needed to be done... why didn't he do it himself? Why not martyr himself for the cause? There is no reason Getaway couldn't do it himself... except he decided that his life mattered and Tailgate's didn't. He decided "This needs to be done... but I don't believe it enough to risk myself or someone I care about... so I'll just find a naive and innocent bot and trick him into doing it".

That is not the actions of a 'hero'. These are the actions of a coward at best and a villain at worse.

Had Getaway tried this himself, then we'd be dealing with something different. Then it would be a case of someone trying to do something noble and good, if at least in their own mind, and being committed to such a cause he is willing to die to save the universe. Instead we get a schemer who happily sends others to their death so he can then crow how 'he' succeeded.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Isn't a bit hypocritical to hate Getaway for what he did, but give Whirl a pass because he almost killed Tailgate and hasn't suffered any punishment for it?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    One way I think this could go-

Rodimus and Co. find their way back to the Lost Light. They just barge in and Rodimus or Megatron asks where Getaway is. The group then find their way to the Bridge and confront Getaway. Either Rodimus or Megatron will have a bone to pick with him. A fight between Rodimus or Megatron and Getaway will then happen, with the rest of the crew just standing off to side and watching.

If it's Rodimus, he'll just be laying into Getaway. All the while telling him for all the crew to hear how the council let Overlord loose on them and how his action lead the DJD to them, leading to the death of Skids, who died reliving the horrible memories he managed to bury and saying that he was scum. The reveals start to turn some off the crew.

If it's Megatron, he'll be deliberately holding back, so when Getaway least expects it, he unloads on him. Megatron will run a monologue(I'm not sure how he would do it).

Both will end with Getaway beaten into submission. The newly returned Captain will then have Getaway taken away, or Getaway will attempt to pull a concealed weapon on them as a last ditch attempt at payback only to get gunned down by one of the crew members.

Not the best written guess. But that's one way I think this could go down.

I also think that Ratchet could play a factor here. He might have a few choice words for everyone.

As for Megatron crimes, yes he is responsible for the deaths of billions. But he feels regret for his actions. As the last few issues and others have shown. And he's trying to atone in the anyway he can, even if it's not enough.

13. Mr. Chaos

News Credits:
    Here is the difference: Whirl wanted to pull out. He changed his mind. Had Getaway changed his mind then I'd say fine, he made a horrible mistake but he didn't go through with it. But he did while Whirl didn't. Getaway happily sent Tailgate to his death and never felt a moment of regret (despite his weak words... it is clear he was ready to sacrifice one for the cause).

As for the rest of the crew, here is my problem with them and their little mutiny... they could have left the ship at ANY TIME after Dark Cybertron and Megatron was announced as captain. They knew it and they went along with it. They weren't forced to go... they chose to and then Blaster and Perceptor decided later to turn traitor.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I think they may be referring to the time that Whirl locked Tailgate and Rewind in a room with a detonating bomb because he wanted to get rid of Cyclonus.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mr. Chaos

News Credits:
    Ah. I'd forgotten about that but yes, it does annoy me that Whirl didn't get punished for that either.

16. Red Spider

Red Spider Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this elsewhere but I still can't credit Thunderclash went along with this. He strikes me as the type of bot who would leave a team of Autobots high and dry for ANY reason. I still hope there is an explanation for this.

In regards of why people hate Getaway and not others, well - I think it's meant to be like that, he's insidious and odious. I don't think it's really looking at specific actions and weighing them against others (a four million year long war kind of makes that tricky), he's a great character and I am a big fan. Although I hate him. But in a good way!

I still think that yes, Rodimus is a distracted, unorthodox Captain with loads of massive failings... but he has done an awful lot of good (saving half the cybertronian race is a pretty good start. Lets face it - he was hooked up to the matrix to risk it!) He has proven that despite some obvious character flaws he has done a serious amount of good.

I'd like to see the head mutineers get their comeuppance. I would like them not to be killed though, we need decent 'bad guys' alive!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Ultimately they obviously should be punished by whatever law is applicable because they are mutineers, but then so should Megatron and look how that turned out.
    Sending Megatron into voluntarily banishment was politically sound because it slightly defused the situation with the Decepticons, but if Autobot justice catches up with the mutineers i imagine similar motives will come in play: can they really punish that many Autobots soldiers among whom the likes of Thunderclash and Blaster ?
    Another thought is that this isnt the only place where ordinary soldiers are starting to question Autobot high command: at the end of SOTW it became clear that Impactor and the Mayhems are going to take action against Autobot leadership, so the mutiny might be part of an overall writing plan.
    I hope in any case that the above suggestion that they cant handle certain dangers without the main cast doesnt happen, That would make sense in ordinary nautical situations but i think the mutineers have enough experience among them and enough powerfull fighters among them to face any threat the "Officers" of the LL could handle.
    But whatever happens they should not be punished by plotdevice, nobody should ever be punished by plotdevice.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with that but I think that after some will discover the truth (Perceptor, Bluestreaker, etc.) and on Getaway I think he will feel guilty but Atomizer that will convince him not to tell anyone.

Then I think they will try to reveal the truth or Atomizer will discover that they know, but I think it will end with Atomizer betraying and abandoning for die after the ship go through some difficulties to get rid of them or only as an excuse along with Getaway. The protagonists will save them, will have a trial and during the trial of Getaway, Megatron and Tailgate will forgive him. Although later he will still suffer some consequence for their actions and He will discoverthat your only friend (Skids) died for his guilt.

19. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Well, I did used to like Getaway. And I would like to like him again. So now I'm hoping that this might happen. But if Getaway does something despicable again, he is dead to me, permanently.

20. Mr. Chaos

News Credits:
    The problem with Getaway is, unlike someone like Whirl, we have seen nothing to make us like him. Whirl has a tragic backstory and can be really funny, so it is easier to forgive his sins. Getaway is just a traitor... worse, he is a traitor unwilling to stand up for his own beliefs and actually DO something... he'd rather send someone else to do it.

I hate Tyrest more than I hate Star Saber. And I hated Overlord in Last Stand more than the Overlord in MTMTE. Why? Because Tyrest and Last Stand Overlord spent so much time TALKING and doing little for their cause. Star Saber and MTMTE OVerlord? They at least put their money where their mouth is. ANd yes, I know Overlord fought in the end in Last Stand... that's when he began to grow on me as a villain I could enjoy hating.