Customs: What radicons tools can you buy at a local hardware store ?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Vincymon, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

This is a picture of some stuff I picked up this morning.

-more binding wire, to keep the frame sturdy
    -some tiny screw & push bulbs
    - a 9v battery
    a pair of AAA batteries
    -constructicon tape.
    - square pegs... i'm not sure how to use them, but i remember lonewolf shogun had a youtube video explaining how they can be used to make joints.

I noticed that the hardware store has tape in just the exact colours i need for devastator.There was tape coloured in :
    -constructicon green

-construction vehicle yellow-orange

-and red for demolisher

And the best part is, the tape has a shiny finish. I'm seriously considering covering the vehicles with this tape instead of mixing paint.
    After all, it is made of cardboard.

That way I won't have to always be mixing the colours, and the colours will be completely uniform.

I haven't found the electrical wire of the size i wanted yet though.

So, what else do you guys use ?
    I am only asking about hardware stuff (or even random stuff) but not parts of other action figures.

P.S. can someone tell me about LED lights, show a pic of what they look like out of the box ... how to wire them .. and what size batteris can they work on. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    there's no way covering a figure with colored tape is going to come even remotely close to looking as good as paint. You will have lines between stripes, possibly wrinkles, etc. Not to mention that tape would be extremely thick by comparison too.

nearly all customizing tools can be found at a hardware store (punches, dremels and bits, knives, paints, etc.)

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

If I'm not mistaken, Vincymon does the papercraft stuff though, so tape could be an alternate to any other coloring method. Though I'd imagine simply using colored paper would be the easiest approach. Much the same way that parts and pieces are molded in certain colors and then additional details are painted on.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As far as tools go, I'd imagine any tool you're looking for can be found at your local hardware store :thumb 

5. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

Well yea .. its a hardware store I expect to find tools there.

But, what tools am I looking for ?

As for buying coloured paper, the shades of manilla in local stores are too light.

Additionally, I find it more convinient to start working with a blank white sheet .. and then paint it how I want.

What I am really stuck for though is the small motor fan. I remember seeing some kids with small handheld fans, when i was in high school. But for the life of me, i just can't find 'em anymore.

6. ghostyurei

ghostyurei Retardicon

My local hardware store sells Neodynium (rare earth) magnets, which are curiously strong for their size and are great for detachable joints/accessories.

As for LEDs, Radio Shack carries them, as will any good electronics store. They usually come in a little plastic bag indicating the voltage and color, even if it's clear looking the diode will still be the color indicated on the bag. You can also buy cheap keychains from drugstores or something provided the color of the LED is correct for under $5, I like to cannibalize these when I can because they include a working battery. Wiring is not difficult, but you will probably need a soldering iron to work properly with them. There are good tutorials out there for the basics, including proper power supply and voltage. It's too technical for just a reply, anyway.

Attached Files: