Customs: What putty do you use?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by zgraham, Oct 26, 2008.

1. zgraham

zgraham Well-Known Member

I am working on a repaint and need to fill in a few places. I have never used putty before and was wondering what type I should get. I have looked locally, but there aren't many stores that carry that type of stuff. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

well most on here will tell you aves apoxy sculpt and i suport that. however i have heard mighty putty is the same thing well i seen it just recently for sale at walgreens for 9.99

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, apparently Apoxie Sculpt is pretty much the top stuff (available from www.avesstudio.com), but I haven't yet got hold of any myself. I mostly use Milliput for filling work, and either Milliput or Green Stuff/Kneadatite for actual detail sculpting.

4. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

I must say that I use Mighty Putty quite often and love the stuff. It's fairly soft when kneaded, not at all messy, starts hardening quickly, hardens very strong and very hard, easily cut/drilled/sanded when hard, it keeps details great.

I can't say whether the other puttys are better, since I haven't tried them. But it is inexpensive, works great and is available everywhere.

5. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Apoxie Sculpt is the best stuff ever in the history of the world. It can do almost anything...seriously, hunt this stuff down. It's magically delicious! (Please do not eat Apoxie Sculpt.)

It's cheaper on Ebay than most retail spots I've seen. That's where I buy all my Apoxie Sculpt nowadays!

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    apoxy sculpt is very versatile, but not the "best stuff out there"

depending where and what you are filling, you might want to consider regular filler like MMD white filler.

This stuff dries in 20 minutes, compared to 3-4 hours on apoxysculpt.

7. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I would tend to agree here. Aves is awesome stuff, but not really a necessity for doing fill work. I've been happy with milliput for filling duties, I also have some reddish stuff in a little tub someone gave me ages ago, I think it's automotive "bondo" type filler, not even sure!

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

I recently bought some Loctite Epoxy Putty similar to the above photo. I'm really happy with this putty. :) 

Prior to this purchase, I was using the Testors Putty which I was never really totally happy with by itself. I have a process where I'd use the Testors Putty + Super Glue (as a drying/curing agent). It's amazing what one can "make" work for em :lol 

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    where's it from SQ? i'd like to try that stuff.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I bought mine at Wal*mart in the hardware section. The really cool thing is that I've used it on quite a few projects and I still have a ton of it left. It cost about $5 or so. The only con I've experienced so far is that it stinks :lol