What price will gas have to be for you to stop driving?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iheartarcee, May 27, 2008.

1. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I dont even have a drivers license yet and live right across the street from public transportation which takes me anywhere I want to go so life's pretty good here :D 

2. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

i live in bfe and most places are at minimum 20 minutes away from me. All I can really do is find cheap gas prices and hope for the best

3. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

Well there is public transportation where I live and I could ride it to work, but I am unsure of the pick up places.

The problem I have is that I drive for work everyday. I service Macs in several school buildings all day. I love the job, but it means I drive all week. Thankfuly I have a nice small car with good gas milage. I fill it up every other week. Which is nice.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'm lucky since I really don't have to drive long distances much, plus my car gets decent gas mileage...decent, not great. I only have to fill up once a week. If worse came to worse I could walk, but There are days where I need to make deliveries at some point so I doubt that can happen.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I will pay what I have to. But I'm making life choices now that will minimize my driving later--after graduation, I have every intention of living on post and enjoying the bicycle-distance commutes that entails.

6. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm paying around 4 and it's breakin me since my ass is always po and doing dumb things like buying toys I can't really afford, but it's only been bad because I've been back and forth between my home town and Atlanta. That's about to cool down, I'm going on summer break from college so I'll be driving significantly smaller distances so I should be able to handle it.

7. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We've made some basic adjustments and are actually saving money (for now):

- Driving the wife's car whenever possible (a late model Honda Accord) instead of my V8 truck. Only driving the truck to work, which is about 5 minutes away.
    - Maximizing trips out... no more going to Target or Walmart 3-5 times a week. Once a week if possible, and toy shopping is combined... no more toy runs!
    - Not filling up... I've discovered I'm a lot more conservative with my driving when I don't have a full tank. I only put in $20-$30 at a time.

All other gas use is visiting family/friends, most of which are nearby, and of course we take the Honda. These pretty simple changes have allowed us to offset the price increases entirely for the moment. When we start getting higher, though, it's going to be a lot tougher to stay ahead of it.

8. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

That price has long since come and gone. I havn't had a car in 5 years. between gas and insurance, it's not worth it. Now i Walk, or take a bus.

9. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Right now Public transportation costs me 10.35$ a day round-trip.

Driving costs me at 4$ a gallon about 2$ gas (.5 gallon) and 2$ parking.

So until driving costs more than Public transportation (assuming energy costs don't drive public transit up) I will drive. And honestly, I am not restricting my driving one bit because in the grand scheme of things it is not that expensive. You pay 2.65$ for SODA if you go out to eat. 5.50$ for Starbucks. Even at 5$ a gallon the price increase is only going to add 50$ some odd dollars a month to my expenses.

As long as I plan ahead and put it in my monthly budget expecting the costs, I should be able to be fine. It is when people mix it with spending money and spend their gas money on personal shit that the sticker shock really gets you.

10. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

WOW $10 a day?? round trip... Here it's only $2 for an adult, with as many transfers needed for a one way trip, so, $4 ROUND TRIP. our busses are BIO Desal though.

I HATE driving though.

11. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

4.50$ one way rush hour fare on our metro system for any distance that isn't tiny. I go 6 stops at least so that ends up hitting maximum fare.

4.50$ there. 4.50$ back, 1.35$ Bus to the metro. Or 4.75$ to park at the metro. Our public transportation sucks. But you can't drive to washington DC or park in Washington DC. Luckily I work on the edge so I can still park.

It simply doesn't add up for me not to drive. And I can drive one way in 30 minutes in heavy traffic but takes an hour+ for public transportation.

12. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Two dollar parking? You're lucky.

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Trying to stay completely away from being political, since gas has been raising these past few months, filling up has gone from about $30 to $38 dollars. I have a pretty small car but work about 25 minutes away so I need to fill at the most 4 times a month. That means that my gas bill has raised around $32 a month. That's FAR less then what I make in a day at work, so it would take a LONG time before gas would be expensive enough to stop me from working. Now, the problem beyond that equation is everything else increasing in price. So, gas raising is just the surface problem, but taking only that into consideration for me, it's not that heavy of an extra burden.

14. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.

News Credits:
    wow, you guys are lucky to have such cheap gas in relation to what we pay in Sweden, but it must still suck. Last time I was in the States, gas was like $1 per gallon, which means the price has quadrupled since I was there. In Sweden the gas price is $2.36 per LITER, and the government is discussing if they should raise the taxes so it would be $4.55 per liter. Insane. That means the gas price would be $17.19 per gallon! I'm thinking about getting an ethanol car instead; ethanol is $4 per gallon.

15. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's pretty messed up, but I'm glad you can appreciate that it still sucks for us, even when your prices are crazy. Prices of necessities rising always sucks regardless the amount.

I also want to say that one way I have decreased my gas usage is by far less toy hunting. I really appreciate HTS's sales as of recent so that ordering all the animated toys I want from them has saved me gas money, 20 percent off and not even having to pay shipping.

16. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.

News Credits:
    Yeah, as crazy as our prices may be, they haven't quadrupled in eight years! Eight years ago we paid about $1.50 per liter. Your gas prices have increased at an insane rate!

17. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I'll still drive because I need to make money; but, I wont be drving anytime soon because of my surgery. Furthermore if gas does every get that bad the Government has some seriouse problems on their hands.

18. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

I still have to drive to work. The good thing for me is part of my pay is in gas (Own operate a gas station/restaurant). It would take a hell of a lot for me to stop driving, because of work, and there really is no public transit to this part of town.

19. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

They stopped though. As they were JUST using the bio-diesel, which fucks the engine. So like 5 buses at a time were coming down with clogged engines. :lol 

20. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

we don't even have the option of a bus here. we used to for like 6 months when i was in college 5 or 6 years ago. they tried it. no one rode it so it vanished without notice.