What plane is ROTF Dirge?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Feb 12, 2010.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Anyone know what type of plane the ROTF Dirge is? Thanks in advance.

2. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's based on the AV-8B Harrier II, but fairly heavily modified. The nose is sharper (more like the original Harrier), the tail now has an X-shape rather than inverted Y-shape, and his intakes are now kind of squashed instead of semicircular. Also, the real Harrier actually has four landing gear wheels - one near each wingtip, and two in tandem on the fuselage, which is pretty different compared to Dirge's more typical landing gear setup.

Like a lot of TF vehicles, he's sort of a stylized version of the real thing. I myself call Dirge's alt mode the AV-13 Harrier X.

3. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

He's a harrier jet.. or at least, a 'wink wink' harrier jet design.

4. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

I really hate to disagree but he is not a harrier. He is a Russian VSTOL called the YAK-38 FORGER. I can take off and land like a harrier, but generaly it uses a short runway.

The tail is a hasbro idea, since no modern miltary plane uses that tail that I know of.

5. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hes a bluish green one with some gold color on him :)  im an ass. but i just had alot of sugar!!!! forgive me :) )

6. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, this... he's way closer to this then a Harrier, though both planes do have similar looks and styles...

also, V tail fins are used alot in planes... though its harder to fly... and not really practical, hence why its not in widespread use...

also, the most common use that most people will recognize is the F-117 Nighthawk, though this plane is now retired...

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Very good info. Thank you- it's much appreciated.

I have the toy / figure, but was considering a re-paint of it because I wasn't really convinced that the paint of the toy reflected any real world paint job.

8. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What? That Yakolev is clearly based on the earlier British Harrier (Which I said Dirge's nosecone resembles), but there's nothing else that makes Dirge looks more like the Yak-38 than the AV-8B.

9. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I guess he's inspired by the Harrier and/or YAK-38... he shares design elements with both. I suppose whe can't really know unless we ask the designer - if he/she says "YAK-a-wha?" then it's all stylized Harrier. :p 

As for the paint, it looks to me like a "Blue Angels" paintjob, though I'm sure Hasbro based it off G1 Dirge's paint instead - though that too could have been Blue Angels inspired back in the '80s.

10. Lumpy

News Credits:
    the wings are very different... the Harrier's wings are swooped down at a much sharper angle then the Yak-38's... also, the rear of the Yak is slimmer then the Harriers and the wheels of the Yak are like Dirges, while the Harrier has different wheels. and while the air intakes look like neither plane, that pushes me more towards calling it a Yak... however, if we get into the real technicalities of it, its a mix of both planes, with a little bit of hasbro tweaking to the intakes and tailfin...

either way, its a kickass mold, and one of my favorite ROTF toys... and i just love me some Dirge anyway... as can be seen in the picture below... also attached the images i was using as reference...

Attached Files:

11. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
  12. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

fun fact: the Yak-141 (which got cancelled in 1991) idea and tech (supersonic and VTOL capable) ended up with Lockheed Martin in the form of the X-35, now know as the F-35 Lightning II.

Which ROTF Breakaway and Thrust are based off.

13. Lumpy

News Credits:
    huh, cool...