What PC protection programs do you use?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by PropaneProphet, Nov 16, 2010.

1. PropaneProphet

PropaneProphet Well-Known Member

I have Windows SE and Malwarebytes.

I've heard recommendations for Spybot S&D and SUPERantispyware.
    Which one is better?

Also, I'd like AVG or Avira, but I don't know if they would conflict with Malwarebytes or Windows SE.

And a question about Malwarebytes. I downloaded it and the Icon (if you google 'malwarebytes icon') looks just like it, but has a Blue/Yellow shield on the bottom right, is this normal?

2. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OSX Snow Leopard :tongue: 

On pc though, I've found that avg is a nice program. It's not a resource hog and it actually protects the system pretty well so long as you aren't randomly opening attachments and such.

3. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AVG and Avira are bother anti-virus programs, it would be pointless to run either of them and Microsoft Security Essentials, since they are all ant-virus software.

The blue and yellow shield you are seeing on the Malwarebytes icon denotes that Windows will ask you if you want to run it every time you double click the icon. It's tied into the User Access Control components of Windows Vista and 7.

4. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

The free shit. Malwarebytes, AVG.

Used to use Avast! Until the web shield decided not to work anymore and I couldn't be bothered with trying to fix it so I switched to AVG

5. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I'll start off by saying NOTHING replaces common sense and sticking to trusted sites. That will solve a vast majority of problems before they happen. But of course, that can't always be the case.

I used to use AVG for all of my systems. It seemed to be a complete package for scanning every thing (web toolbar, email scanner, file scanner, etc). We even use the full Internet Security Suite package at work. But you know what? We still get infected with malware and web-based hijacks. It might as well not even be installed.

The free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a good cleaner after you have already been infected. I have limited experience with the paid version, which I chalk up to doing it's job and me never having to clean up the after-effects. I've been recommending it to people who browse more than they e-mail.

I stay away from the big names as well. Norton, Symantec, McAfee... they have all failed me and clients numerous times. Add in the system resources they use and the annoyances they create and I consider them malware in and of themselves.

I've heard way more good things abouy Spybot S&D than I have negative things. I don't have a whole lot of person experience with it lately though.

Microsoft's new Security Essentials is on a few of my machines now. I'm seeing how it works out. I might even set up a test box at work to see how it fairs. I am not sure if it will work on such an old version of Windows though (which can be a whole other discussion).

6. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Kapsersky and Spybot

when using spybot, prepare for a wait when scanning.

7. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

I've used Malwarebytes recently and it's good, cleans very thoroughly.

Spybot is also good but you have to remove the exceptions it leaves by default before running it.

Microsoft SE works only on Vista or Win 7, not XP.

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    AVG. I was former Avira user until I noticed how many infections Avira does not recognize.

9. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    AVG & Ad-Aware do the job for me. I did use Avast but found it fiddly to set up and not very user-friendly.

10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Rolling MSE and Commonsense.exe here.