What Other Hobby Have You Given Up To Collect Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CURAMEN, May 24, 2011.

1. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Just curious to know what other hobby you gave up to collect Transformers?

For me it was comics and comic-related collectibles, such as statues and action figures. I was hardcore into comics and always went to comic conventions nationwide, but lost interest sometime in 2005 due to multiple covers coming back. I haven't bought a comic since. Now, I mainly collect Transformers and every-now-and-then the ocassional comic-related action figure that catches my eye. As far as collecting comics again, the only thing I would like to do is acquire CGC 9.2 to 9.4 Graded X-Men Comics from issues Giant-Size 1, 94 to 140 and I'll be happy.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Used to be really big on anime. I've pretty much lost interested in watching/buying anime series after I've gotten hooked onto Transformers upon seeing the 2007 TF movie.

3. sacha88

sacha88 Well-Known Member

I haven't really given anything up, but often have to restrain myself from getting into other toylines. I collect Transformers, GI Joe, WWE, DC Universe, and comics. I am always tempted by Marvel U stuff, but am already collecting more than I should.

4. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    YuGiOh. I occasionally get the odd booster pack and I still have all my cards.

5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I was a huge fan of TMNT growing up and they ended before Beast Wars came around. So when the new series came around 2003, I tired to watch it and found it strange and just didnt collect those figures. So the money I would had spent on new TMNT figures went to the few TFs I did like in the A/E/C era.

6. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Lego. With every set being so darn expensive, I just had to let it go. Plus, Bionicle ended, which was the only Lego line I had a whole lot of interest in.

7. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

From around the time that I was 12 years old until I was about 15 years old I followed sports about as much as anyone. But around the time that I turned 15 I started to get back into Trasnformers. And it's definitely the sports following that has gotten less attention because of it.

8. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

It's just a little difficult to give up one hobby for another when there isn't any product available. Lack of product has been pretty much the only reason I've picked up a different hobby.

I didn't quit buying GoBots so I could buy more TransFormers, I quit buying them because Tonka folded.

I didn't quit buying comics so I could buy more TransFormers, I quit buying them because series were cancelled.

I didn't quit buying video games so I could buy more TransFormers, I quit buying them because I had a GameCube.

Actually, I've spent more money on computer stuff over the last few years not because I like computers more but because aside from the movie toys there's next to nothing out there to buy. Most of Reveal the Shield and Generations may as well have been an internet rumor from somebody's Super Awesome Inside Sources.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Lord of the Ring figures, although breaking up with my last girl friend was part of it as we had collected together and i wanted to be rid of mine anyway. got a good price for them and used it to purchase Transformers for my collection.

10. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I use to colelct StarWars hardcore and Simpsons and Movie Maniacs as well as Transformers. Eventually Transformers just continued to grow and seeing as they cost a lot and took over as my number 1 collectable I dropped the rest.

Actually it was pretty easy. Simpsons pretty much ran its course. Movie Maniacs started to stray from what it originally was and Starwars came out with episode 1 which killed all my love for the franchise.

Transformers, even during the dark days, still has a lot more going on for it than any other franchise (in my eyes)

11. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to have a huge Star Wars collection, but I sold them around the time I started to get into TFs. I've tried to start buying SW figs again, but it doesn't feel right to me anymore. It just seems more fun to be able to open something and convert it into another form instead of just displaying something and looking at it.

12. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    ??? I guess I don't understand the question as I don't solely collect TFs to the exclusion of all else.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not so much "given up" as a coincidental transition, but I used to build a lot of plastic model kits, usually 1/72 scale aircraft. On the good side, the skills I learned there help when I wish to 'touch up' the plastic or paint on a toy .

14. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Nothing! I did initially sort of drop out of collecting DVDs, but then I went back to them and took a hiatus on TFs, now I'm sort of juggling between the two.

15. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I don't get into other things very much. In fact, after a few 'ooh, I wanna collect those too!' moments, I had the realization that I have all that I can handle with Transformers.

Some things I've dropped/stopped:

G.I. Joe (that's a bad one for me... I love G.I. Joe)
    Voltron (Yeah, still tempting)
    TMNT (More nostalgia than anything, plus I have all my old stuff)
    Marvel Stuff (Meh, it lost it's luster to me anyway)

16. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I stopped racing Kyosho Mini-Z's. But now I'm concentrating on RC helicopters and going back to my routes of collecting scale-model cars.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yugi-Oh cards were a big one, but i lost interest i think around the time after the Battle city Tornament ended in the anime, i think they were both around the same time.

18. toyman

toyman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ohhhh where to begin.

I used to collect A LOT more than I do now. It all started in 1996 when I got a part time job while in college at TRU. I was put in the action figure aisle for overnight stocking on my first shift, started checking out the Star Wars POTF2 figures and the rest is history.

Over the years I have collected Hasbro Star Wars, Lego Star Wars, Gentle Giant Star Wars, Movie Maniacs/Horror Figures, McFarlane Yankees Figures, Die Cast Corvettes, Simpsons, Transformers (started that at the beginning of RID), anything Masters of the Universe related, and probably other things I cannot recall right now. That is why I chose the internet name Toyman many years ago. Most, if not all, of these lines I was a obsessive completist in up until 2004.

At that point, everything changed. I was faced with a job layoff that had significant pay that was not immediately replaceable. That was also the year that my first child was born in. Needless to say, I had to unload a few things and "narrow down" my collecting habits a bit.

Being a completist in that many different toy lines became quite the chore. These days I enjoy collecting quite a bit more. Now my toy collection consists of:

Masters of the Universe: everything

Transformers: Classics Style, Masterpiece style, Alternators/Human Alliance style, G1 reissues, and thinking about starting to buy loose vintage

Star Wars: Boba Fett.....only Boba Fett. Everything from any manufacturer that is Boba Fett

19. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:

Well to be honest, I lost interest in the tv show soon after the 1st couple of seasons/when the Egyptian stuff got phased out. However, I'm still pretty involved with the game, especially when it comes to my forum and keeping up with the rulings & game mechanics. I just had to make it a point to stop spending so much money on cards & things, but it didn't really have anything to do with my rekindled love of Transformers. It just got to a point where I was spending more than I should have on things that I didn't need in order to remain with the game as a solid player, at least at the local level, and at least when it comes to reworking certain decks instead of always building new ones when the next great archetype comes out.

If anything, I think it's moreso an issue of moving through different phases in my life, rather than actually needing to kick on in order to climb up onto another.

20. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

I love gadgets, especially PSP, camera and such.

I gave away my canon camera to my sis. Later mulled on buying another one but find myself limited in terms of $$$ ($$$ primarily goes for Tf ) yet ironically,I can't get good pictures of my Tf without a GOOD set of camera. 3.2mp phone camera is OK but nothing phenomenal. So in short, I sacrifice my love for good picture taking for my Tf

And the biggest sacrifice, I sold my PSP1000 limited edition pink so that I can get my hands on G1 overlord.