Customs: What other building material?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by BlitzFire, Aug 27, 2008.

1. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Soooo...I can't seem to find styrene in my area :(  anything else that is recommended for scratchbuilds?

i really need something to do while im at work...and well working is not an option lol

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

like someone mentioned the other day, for sale type signs and beware of dog type signs will work. walmart sells them and i was in ace hardware yesterday and they sell them.

other than that i really dont know. i bought my styrene from ebay. 16 sheets for $14.00 shipped. They got here in 3 days. from what i read, it's cheaper than the hobby stores.

and someone also mentioned getting it from your local cosmetic store. i'm going to check into that myself. hope this helps.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    you're at work? grab a screw gun and take apart your cubicle and use that ;P

no seriously, maybe you can use pvc plastic sheets, pretty sure home depot sells them

4. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

I've been known to use CD cases. They are a little brittle and not easy to work with but they've worked for me in a pinch. I just wouldn't recommend it for high stress parts, they'd shatter pretty quickly.

5. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanks for the tips peeps.

i dont think im going to be making a transformer yet...just going to start with a figure of sorts to get to know the material.

heres another questions...trying to make round things...like wheels or gun barel....is there a putty or a filler that i use for that? cuz making round things out of square things will leave it sorta squared off no?

i cant wait to start cutting shit up to make toys woot woot

is PVC paintable? how about those for sale signs mentioned earlier? should I buy the thick one...like the corrugated one or the flat flimsy one? or maybe a mix of both?

6. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Why not just order styrene from an online hobby store?

There are tons of stores that sell Plastruct and Evergreen sheet styrene online.

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    pvc is very paintable, sands well too. though it's hard to work with in small sizes, while styrene is perfect for scratchbuilding

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    just looked on ebay, searched "styrene sheets" and there are good "buy it now" deals on there. i'd stay away from the auction sales.