What movie would make and interesting animated series?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Optimus17, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

What movie would make an interesting animated series?

This is something my brother and I were thinking about. What live-action movie would make a really good or really bad animated series? So name some of your thoughts and if possible describe what you think would be in the show.

Here are my selections:

Jurassic Park The Animated Series - This is something that I'm surprised that never actually got one. It seems perfect. I'm sure one was pitched but the company never went anywhere with it. Anyway, in this series, obviously, Alan Grant would be the main character along with the two kids (who would inevitably get more screen time) from the first movie. It would involve them going across the world landing on islands that have dinosaurs on them so that Grant could do "research" and by "research" I of course me fighting dinosaurs. Malcom would make guest appearances as well and would look just like Jeff Goldblum.

Van Helsing The Animated Series - I could see this easily as a cartoon show. Especially cause The Mummy got one. Dracula would be a recurring villain in the show and Can Helsing's friar friend would be the plucky comic relief. The Wolf-man would either be Dracula's lackey or another recurring villain. Also Frankenstein's monster would make guest appearances but would only be referred to as Frankenstein. I'm thinking this probably never got made because of the lousy animated direct-to-DVD movie that was made.

and then I have saved the best for last.
    Phantom of the Opera The Animated Series - This is my personal favorite. It would involve a man who lives in the phantom time-period and would have been burned in an opera house by men who intended to kill him. He would then vow to defend justice in the opera house and would dawn the persona of his favorite legend of the time: The Phantom of the Opera. He would be a superhero like character and would protect the opera house from evil people that wish to harm the attendees or destroy the house. He would have a love interest in the form of a woman named Christy. They would of course be madly in love with each other and he would have to save her from danger every episode. Pretty much she would be his Lois Lane. Then I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that The Phantom and The Hunchback of Notre Dame would inevitably fight then team-up at the end of the episode. Oh one more thing, The music from the Andrew Lloyd Webber play would be used in the show but it would be all music, no words and these pieces of music would definitely be used. YouTube - The Phantom of the Opera/Music of the night
    The first one would be the theme song to the show and would also be used in fight scenes and the second one would be the romance song whenever The Phantom and Christy were together.

2. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

I actually do recall there being a very strange, claymation Jurassic Park series a long time ago. And there is an anime OVA for Van Hellsing...not to mention there's also an anime series called Hellsing (though it's not related to the movie or the other OVA).
    So that only leaves one....one which I don't see becoming a very interesting series.

3. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How's a PotO animated series going to have much appeal? Fans of musicals generally wouldn't be interested in a cartoon series, and vice versa.

4. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Some ideas for toons based on live-action movies I think would be neat:

* An Adelaide/Dong Woo-produced SW series focusing on the early days of Han and Chewie. That's right, none of that overblown Jedi/Sith/Clone Wars nonsense.

* A Tartakovsky-produced Indiana Jones series. Just let Lucas stamp his name on it, and then lure him out of the studio with a Tyco R/C loaded with wads of C-notes so the production team can do their thing.

* An anime Robocop. It can't possibly be as bad as the actual sequels or spinoffs that have come since the first one. And anime is ideally suited for wiping away the softness and pandering that ruined the franchise.

5. Optimus17

Okay I want you guys to understand that I'm not being completely serious. I don't honestly want a Phantom of the Opera animated series. I just thought it was a funny idea.

@CrypticIllusionist: I think the clay-animation thing your thinking of is Weird Al Yankovic's Jurassic Park music video. Also yeah I already mentioned the Van Heling OVA.

@Jochimus: Those are interesting. They might be more interesting if I knew who any of those producers were. XD Also I gotta disagree with you about Robocop. I liked Robocop 2 and the 3rd....okay so the 3rd one wasn't all that great but it wasn't horrible. Then I absolutely loved the series.

6. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Buckaroo Banzai
    The Mummy
    Krull (every episode the castle would move, its perfect!!)
    Indiana Jones

7. Optimus17

Those are great.
    Umm. You do know there already was a Mummy animated series.

8. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Evil Dead
    Time Bandits
    VideoDrome
    Dark Knight
    Christine
    The Thing (1980)<----
    Akira (Based off the manga)

9. Lazeric

Lazeric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    KIDS

kidding... that would be soooo wrong.

10. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I had no idea....

was it crap?

11. Optimus17

Yes...yes it was.

12. Sideways

Sideways Banned

Yes Yes and YES.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Mad Max - self explanatory.

Pulp Fiction: Vince and Jules the early years - mostly just set in their car on the way to a hit, they talk about stuff. At the end of each episode they kill a dude. It would rule. Quentin, where's my cheque, bro?

Ghost Dog - again, set before the movie.

14. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

I'd like to see a Terminator cartoon, set during the future war leading up to the point where John sends Kyle, Arnie and Arnie^2 back in time. I kind of see it as an updated Exo-Squad, but set on this planet rather than across the solar system. Have some infiltrator Terminators or reprogrammed (or sentient and separate from Skynet) Terminators as well, and you could have one heck of a high body count that would be swept under the carpet, because they're just robots (Foot Soldiers, anyone?)

Hmm, other movies... by the same vein, Aliens/Predator/Marines would also make a good show in the Exo-Squad mould... except this time, across the galaxy instead of just our system or our planet. You'd have to tone down the aliens, though, and what the Predators get up to and their trophies, although for a teen audience, maybe not so much.

I might leave it at that for now. Chew on some other options. Most of the movies that spring to mind already have animated series :p  But an animated sequel to Gremlins would be insane.

15. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    An Evil Dead cartoon would be pretty sweet.

16. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Tartakovsky IJ series would be AWESOME, Jochimus.

I want post-OT animated Star Wars, dammit. Not much writing required -- just make the original Thrawn novel trilogy into 52 or so half-hour episodes. (Minor clone-centric continuity conflicts with the PT be damned.) I'm sure they could get at least Mark Hamill and Anthony Daniels to do voices.

Also (and these won't be limited to just movie-based stuff):

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - self-explanatory. Sad this never got off the ground, though I'd much prefer it be set after the live-action series finale rather than season 3-to-4-ish as originally planned. And/or...

Ripper - BtVS prequel featuring the early days of Rupert Giles.

The Dude Abides - single-episode stories featuring The Big Lebowski characters. Little or no running subplots, please.

The Winchester Chronicles - Supernatural prequel set during the 22 years between Mary's death and the start of Sam and Dean's adventures. Show John's development into badass demon hunter. For bonus points, crossover with Ripper. :D 

The X-Files - more Scully and Mulder adventures, preferably set in the season 3-6 time frame.

17. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Caligula, Deliverence and The Wicker Man.

18. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Yes, yes and more yes. Then some more yes with a side helping of HELL YEAH!...

19. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Has there been a Pirates of the Caribbean cartoon?

If there hasn't part of me is surprised that there hasn't been one yet, but the other half of me remembers it's about a jackass of a pirate that's drunk all the time.

20. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Going the classic TV route:

Knight Rider
    A-Team
    Quantum Leap
    ST: TNG
    MacGyver
    Seinfeld
    Red Dwarf

Movies:
    Battlefield Earth
    Transformers: The Movie: The Animated Series
    Dark Knight
    Iron Man
    Hulk

Edit: Night/Dawn/Day of the Living Dead - Humans vs Zombies! New surviors can be added, characters can be bitten and written out, etc.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008