What motivation did they have when designing the Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by buckmana, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckmana

buckmana Well-Known Member

I've just had a look at the concept images for the robot designs.

My first thought was:

WHAT ARE THOSE!!!! :confused: 

Given what they're doing with the toy franchise, I'm not really surprised they changed the vehicles (or whatever) they transform into.

I'm actually surprised that Brawl kept his original vehicular mode.

The robot designs look downright weird. It's as if someone took the vehicle mode, shattered them into jagged shards, stuck the broken pieces together with magnets, then attached hands and a head.

The mental image I keep getting is when the house in Monster House gets smashed up and tries to reform, creating a moving pile of broken wood. That's what I see everytime I look at the pictures.

And what the <expletive> happened to Frenzy? He looks weirder then any of them!!!!

In the original versions, you could see where the vehicular parts went. You could guess (or work out) what happened when they transformed. That's what they should have done.

It hurts my eyes to look at these versions.

I was considering going to see the movie, but I'm now really uncertain if I want to.
    I thought they were at least going to be realistic about the robot modes.

To the CGI animators that had to make those, you have my deepest sympathies!

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Lets remember that the style of "cubes" used in the cartoon were great but not realistic if used in a live action movie. Even though its fiction, they want to make sure it could be believable. Also They are alien robots. Emphasis on "alien", which means thay though they are metallic, they are also living. This would explain why they look the way they do. Like a Chameleon, but to the next level.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    just watch the new trailer on yahoo and fall in love with it like everyone else.

4. indecks

indecks Banned

Wow this guy's kinda late to the party, no?

5. WheatiesBoy

WheatiesBoy Destroyer

Man, get with the times okay?

6. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Your late dude. Did you just barely see the designs??

7. 35InchMudders

35InchMudders Well-Known Member

Don't feel sorry for anyone, there's nothing worse in this field than rehashing old designs and re-creating something that's been seen and done. Trust me, the modellers/animators had a great time with these fresh designs, a LOT more than they would have creating models of the G1 versions...

I recommend you watch the trailers, watch how they actually DO transform, and go out and buy Leader Prime, they're great designs, a lot more interesting than any versions of the past.

8. Squishy

Squishy the squishy one

To answer the topic question, money motivated them.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The motivation to make TF's better than they have ever been. (and yes money was involved, but it would of been either way)

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It's been nearly a year since we first saw the designs, and we're still getting threads like these.

11. betetta

betetta guitar face

wow, some people where serious about avoiding all kind of spoilers :eek: 

relax dude, even if you don't like the designs (i can't say i like them 100%) the animation kicks ass!

12. Mirage914

Mirage914 Invisible

In the immortal words of human giant, Well take a shit on mt. Rushmore and call me jefferson,this place will eat you up, I don't want you calling me up on the bullyplank saying "Hey i've gotta put on my marshmallow pants and hit the boo-hoo button, cause I can't find the cranberries!"

13. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    As a 3D artist, one who initially hated alot of the designs, (and still does with a few of them, but only due to nostalga) I have to say now, that they are works of art. If Transformers didn't have the legacy it currently does, none of us would even care, we'd only be remarking as to how spectacular they looked.

Sure, they arn't G1, and that's gonna continue to bother alot of people, including myself, but they are works of art, every single one of them.

14. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    to piss you off.

15. buckmana

buckmana Well-Known Member

And yes, I've only just seen them.

I'm not saying they're bad.

They're probably a nightmare to animate though. It would be a headache (if not a major migraine) animating all those little parts to move into position as they transform.

The most important thing is to respect older fans. This new style doesn't seem to fit anything that came before, even with the newer toys that recently became available.

How well do you think people will relate to a bunch of moving spikes? Some semblance of humanity needs to be preserved.

But I suppose there's no point complaining about it now. The movie is due for release soon, so all the work has been done.

The only thing (other than the pictures from this site) I've seen so far is the trailer with the Mars probe getting trashed and the posters at the theatre. Neither of these were big on detail.

What I actually wanted to know was about the creative process that led to this style. And how not on Earth did they make toys like this too?

16. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    you're gonna see a lot more of this AFTER the movie comes out, so be prepared!

17. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please explain why.

18. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

For one think, your opinion of these designs is highly subjective. I absolutely LOVE these designs and understand why they are doing it. Lots of us love them too. Thinking they are weird is nothing more than your personal opinion.

For one thing, they had no choice but to change it. If they would have kept the old aesthetic, the movie would have tanked as a whole, while pleasing the crap out of a few fan boys. Let me tell you why. Because the PUBLIC, as a WHOLE, are not exactly clamoring for the Transformers. PUBLIC perception of the franchise is of a kids toy from the 80's and something geeks of my generation collect. It is not something that is mainstream or something todays generation go ga-ga over. You CANNOT make money producing a movie that mainly the old fans will "get". Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie was pre-determined not to be overly successful ... I predicted that. For the EXACT same reason. People think of the Turtles as a childs toy from the past. MOST people feel that way about them. And as a movie for childrens play things, it was never going to be overly successful, because it immediately limited the viewing demographic and didn't cater to the general public.

This movie is no different. There is absolutely NO WAY it will be successful (not with 150+ million dollars anyway) if the general population thinks of it as a childrens toy. ABSOLUTELY no way. If they keep them the same, no amount of special effects will change public perception. But, by drastically changing these designs, you make the general population think differently about these things. They will see it because giant robots are beating each other up, there are lots of explosions, tons of gunfire, action galore, and a pretty woman. THIS is what they have to do. Pleasing the smaller percentage of fan boys is not going to make them any money. If you need food, you fish in a pond with more fish, not the old watering hole with 1 fish just because you grew up there.

19. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oh, nd welcome back to the fandom!

you like TFs?

20. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Welcome to 12 months ago. Please watch for screaming fanboys, increased flaming, fragmenting of the fanbase, and overall chaos. :) 

Prepare to see Transfomers re-invented yet again. Hopefully this time will bring us something truly amazing and more than meets the eye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.