Minor/Repaint: What Michael Bay done to Waaaasp?

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Kraken, Dec 6, 2010.

?

Should Wasp have Racing Stripes?

1. Yes, do it, they should be Black.

34.4%
  2. Absolutely, some Gold stripes would be awesome.

47.5%
  3. Nah, it's awesome just the way it is!

18.0%
  1. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    OK, so I have this rule in my collection see, no more than one version of a character per size class. Unfortunately, every Bumblebee Hasbro release is better than the last, which means I have to buy it. I HAVE TO BUY IT GODS DAMN YOU HASBRO!!! Ahem, so what this means is that to keep these molds on my shelf, they have to become somebody else, time to reach for the paint brush...

Let me start by saying I don't like this mould, I only got it because I wanted the blue Soundwave from the 2-pack, and the Bumblebee was originally intended for the bits box. However the more I looked at him, I decided that the fact he is the least accurate of the Bumblebee moulds might be good for something, the big bulky chest and weight lifter arms, the incredibly sinister looking head, he just had to become a Decepticon, and who is 'Bees Decepticon counterpart?

I originally started on this guy straight after I finished Cliffjumper, but I've been so busy with work, rehearsals, oh and my wife having a baby, he's been sat in pieces on top of my toolbox for ages. I finally got fed up with having to move all the pieces out the way every time I wanted a tool and sat down one night and got all the painting finished, clear-coated and assembled after an all nighter.

Vehicle parts painted with metallic green Pactra racing finish spray. All robot parts and details painted with Citadel paints, There's actually 3 different shades of gold on the robot parts, but unfortunately they don't show up too well in the photos.

This custom was also my introduction to the wonderful world of Future Floor polish. It is (cue high pitched American teen voice) AWESOME!!! Thinned all my paints with it, tightened the joints, 2 coats of clear coat, and I still didn't use more than half a cap full of it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the piss poor photos, had to take them in my bedroom, which isn't the brightest.

Also, can't decide whether to add racing stripes to him, take part in my poll to help me decide :D 

Attached Files:

2. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like that

3. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Way cool. I love the colors. With that head and the colors this makes the perfect Wasp. Excellent job.

4. changy

changy Well-Known Member

sweet man add the black Stripes (matt not gloss) and it will be a good contrast

5. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

Nice,well its nice to have nice Stripes,but i think a clever Wasp-like decal deco in the car front and roof would be perfect for wasp,after all HE IS WASP.

6. onslaught314

onslaught314 Saxobot

News Credits:
    scrolling down the pictures, and when the first pic of robot mod popped out and i saw the purple, it was just "whoaa...." looks awesome man, and you should add the stripes. that'll make it look like the synergy camaro and would loook awesome.

7. peaugh jr2

peaugh jr2 I LIKE WAFFLEZ!!!!!!!!!!!

what makes the most upset about it is that it looks like the chest can split apart, but it really can't

8. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I voted for stripes, if only because I've seen a lime green camaro with stripes in real life before and it looked awesome. The purple eyes creep me out, but in a good way.

Congratulations on being a proud daddy.

Agreed on Future floor. Not the hardest clear coat by far, but sure is easy and versatile to use.

9. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

Blows the shit out of mine. I got the 2-pack just for Soundwave too, and boy does that head look like Wasp.

Maybe purple racing stripes but on the doors.
    Black stripes on the hood would make me think of that Camaro from Ben 10 and not Wasp.

10. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

I love it - I think some gold stripes with black outline would work best myself... Also, I would've added a predacon symbol instead of the decepticons myself...

Came out really nice though - awesome work.

11. Kraken

News Credits:
    Cheers :D 

I must admit, I love that green, it's actually darker and richer in hand than in the photos. It's also the closest thing I could find to British Racing green which is my favourite car colour ever.

Oh for sure, if I do go with black they'll be matt, like you say it'd contrast better with the glossy green.

Hmmm, the learned gentleman raises a good point, or maybe a stylised Predacon symbol on the roof? That's something else for me to muse about...

Funnily enough, I assembled him about 4am, and I was so into fighting with pins and screws and pegs, and not chipping the paint, I wasn't really paying attention with how he was looking, then I put the last screw in, stood him in front of me, looked at the head and chest and just thought to myself, bloody hell, I'm happy with that! That Synergy Camero does indeed look awesome :D 

For Bumblebee, it's annoying, because it looks nothing like him. There is a mod I could have done but I think it makes the chest look a bit gappy. As it is I think he looks well 'ard!

If the eyes creep you out, then my work here is done :D 

Just looked yours up, have you gotten any further on it? I really like the convertible concept you've got going there, never realised before how much the back of the stomach piece looks like seats in vehicle mode.

Cheers dude, I think if I do end up going with gold (and that's winning at the moment) they'll definitely be thin, pointed, and black pinstriped, and I'm definitely considering doing a Pred symbol on the roof as suggested by MrSoundmeister. The Con symbol was a bit of an after thought, just because I realised he didn't have one on him anywhere.

12. Kraken

News Credits:
    Got a free Saturday night tomorrow when I'll be finishing Wasp off, so if anyone has any preference on Stripes who hasn't voted already, naow is the time :D 

13. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

I think the stripes should be that same purple you used on the eyes.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011