What makes the feature films bad?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by anikenvader, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think it's because i expected more from Bay and Co.

Becuase transformers is a huge part of my life, i just want a Transformers movie that everybody will generally like.

2. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Lack of character development, annoying, unlikable human characters who all act mentally ill. Same story recycled and modified slightly for each film. Plot holes.

The annoying characters and lack of real development is the biggest problem for me. If I liked the characters more and found them interesting I would enjoy the films so much more and get absorbed enough in the movies to overlook plot holes as I did with the first film.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    *Sigh* I miss 2007 already.

That was the summer of dreams.

4. protonpackin

protonpackin Well-Known Member

i have a question.....

why do we have so many hate threads

5. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    It's actually a small percentage that hate the movie and it's mostly critics and fans that are hard to please. I even have friends that still say the second one is their favorite.

6. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Funny, I scanned the thread title and didn't see the word hate anywhere.
    I see a thread title asking for opinions.
    There was a hate thread, but it got locked.

7. Edgcracker

Edgcracker Well-Known Member

Based on the numbers, I'd say that we have them. Or as close to that as possible. The simple fact is that your desire is impossible:

8. NFossil

NFossil Well-Known Member

Critics who don't understand how to enjoy something enjoyable.

9. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I don't think we can defend a thing by how much cash it makes, you know what they say about fools and their money.

10. Edgcracker

Edgcracker Well-Known Member

You make a good argument and I firmly believe that 98% of the world's population are too stupid to live. But they do. :rolleyes2 
    By the numbers, I am referring not only to the dollar amounts, but to ticket and DVD sales - primarily for both sequels. If the movies were truly "bad," then the sales should have decreased significantly for both movies. Since that did not happen, I guess we cannot say that they are necessarily bad movies. People clamoring for a Part 4 furthers the question about how "bad" these movies are.

Just a couple of points I want to make:
    1. I enjoy the movies.
    2. I wouldn't mind having 0.10% of the money these "fools" you speak of parted with to see the Transformers movies.

11. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I have a feeling that a lot of the enthusiasm for a 4th movie may stem from the knowledge that Bay won't be directing. If Uwe Boll is announced for T4 I would expect much of that hope to dwindle.

12. Jingoku

Jingoku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, I think the general audience really cares for this shit and doesn't even know that Bay won't be back.

As long as it has hot women, stupid humor and tons of action, they are going to keep paying.

13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Iowa will do that to ya.

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    They aren't bad; however, they aren't cinematic perfection either. They are entertaining popcorn films.

However, the last 2 suffered from bad pacing, bad editing and shot flow. ROTF used the Wfriter's strike as an excuse; I don't know what excuse can be made for DOTM.

Plus, personally, I think the sophomoric humor can better serve a SCARY MOVIE installment and not Transformers... but that's just me.

Faults and problems aside, the films have been good overall.

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    But that’s the thing, from my perspective there aren’t any new fans (that I know of) that are saying “Shut it. The Bay movies ARE Transformers. PERIOD.”
    There’s just Movie Fans saying “let us talk about the movies” and “stop hijacking every discussion with the same negative thoughts”.

And I balk at the concept of ‘new fans’.
    I’m going to be 40 in three weeks. (JESUS CHRIST!)
    I remember buying Marvel’s Transformers #1 (and Iceman #3 -:) ) in 1984 and I’ve been on board ever since.

I didn’t like Beast Machines, but you know what?
    I just didn’t buy 90% of the toys and I haven’t bought the DVDs.
    I don’t feel the need to compel others not to like Beast Machines.

And Beast Machines is over and now we have Prime –other than both being about Transformers they are about as completely different as I can imagine.
    The Bay movies will move along like everything else.

With that being said, I do think that this has so far been a good discussion about differing viewpoints.
    I don’t think anyone in this thread has really insulted others for liking the movie.
    So far I think this has been a model of how to civilly discuss your viewpoints –unlike this thread.

16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    You haven't seen that? Holy crap!

17. Thepower911

Thepower911 Decepticon

The only thing I hated about the movie was there was no Decepticon characterization ... but in DOTM at least Megatron and Sentinel got a little bit of it..... but other than that I felt nothing for the decepticons when they died in this trilogy ... (Except Starscream because Im a BIG Fan)

Basically in this trilogy the decepticons were just explosion makers.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    No, I haven't.
    But I largely stay out of the Movie forums though.

19. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    There are more 'like' threads than 'hate'. Because some people like the films and some don't. Both have as much right to talk about it as the other.

20. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

I think what it comes down to is the difference between people who enjoy just watching movies, and people who love film and all that goes into it. I consider myself a part of the latter, but to clarify, I don't think theres anything wrong with the former, its just different tastes. To put it in the context of this discussion, I'd say the people who like these movies are almost uniformly the first group. Theres almost no way to say this without it sounding like an insult, but I just don't think theres any way someone who truly is a lover of film and story telling could think these are "good" movies.

Thats not to say the movies are without their merits. I'm not at all a Bay hater (armageddon is a guilty pleasure of mine), and I think the comics and novelizations prove that there was a distinct possibility that the Bayverse could have been really, really good, but the films just did not live up to that. I love transformers and many of its incarnations, and no one wanted these movies to be good more than me. I reserved judgement on all three films until I saw them, but once I did, I disliked all three. In all three of the movies, there is crazy bad editing, characters make choices that make little to no sense, there is basically zero character development, and alot of creative decisions are made for the wrong reasons. A good example is the replacement of Mikaela for Rosie. I'm sure Megan Fox is a hassle to deal with on set, but replacing her for some pretty slim reasons really is detrimental to an already thin story. Also letting ferrari dictate the name (which probably led to the character attributes) just so they could get a car that we saw for mere seconds on film, is utterly ridiculous, and just terrible film making. I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again here, these movies just don't feel like they came from a creative mind who had an idea they desperately wanted to put to film, they feel like hasbro and paramount had a property they wanted to make a buck off of and then cobbled together some random people to do it. Thats their right as the owners, but it doesn't make for a good movie.